: NEED OPINION: 1994 Brougham For Sale

CADDYDADDY13
06-26-09, 07:00 PM
OKay, well i found a 1994 Fleetwood Brougham for sale locally at a used car dealer.

It is white with blue leather. The paint is really good on the car, and so is the chrome. The interior looks very good as well.
It has the brougham, moonroof, and CD player options.
The owner claims everything works great on the car.
It also has new Cooper tires on it.

But it has 119K miles on it.
He said he is selling it for a friend who has had it for the last 12 years and has 11 Caddies, and is just thinning out his collection, and that he never droe the car in winter. And it looks it.

He is asking $3695.00 for the car. I haven't been able to drive it yet or look under the hood, But she looks VERY clean. I just hate buying a car with such high mileage.
It seems like the right deal for me, especially since you don't see many around for sale in good shape.
Do you guys think it is a good deal?

Stingroo
06-26-09, 07:02 PM
But 119k isn't that high for the year of the car.

Remember, it IS 16 years old. Get the VIN, run a CARFAX, test drive it, and next time you go, take some pics.

It's pretty hard to go on word alone.

jayoldschool
06-26-09, 07:11 PM
Get it up on a lift and check it out on the bottom. Buffalo winters are not kind to floor pans, quarter panels, brake lines, etc.

119k isn't high mileage.

Ask for the phone number of the real owner.

Price might be a little high.

sven914
06-26-09, 07:59 PM
First rule of buying, never take the offered price. They will always go lower, if only by $50.

Also, along with checking for the usual body and mechanical problems, that go along with an older car I would check for DTC's. You can use a paper clip to jump the ALDL at the right most two holes on the top row. You turn the ignition to run, but do not start the car and the check engine light will start to flash. Each DTC will be a 2 digit code, counted out by flashes with the check engine light. The first code will be 12 and be presented as 1 flash/pause/2 flashes. Follow this link to decipher the codes. (http://www.extreme-check-engine-light-codes.com/GM%20OBD1%20Decoder.htm) There will not be any codes present if the battery was disconnected or has gone dead, so check for them after you test drive the vehicle.

jayoldschool
06-26-09, 09:16 PM
You can use a paper clip to jump the ALDL at the right most two holes on the top row.

This does not work for 94 and up.

Here's how to get the codes from the climate control:

Instructions for putting ACC in diagnostic mode -
- turn ignition to ON position (or start vehicle)
- press and hold the temp up and OFF buttons at the same time until the unit does a full segment check.
- Release the buttons.
- Display should read -00... you are now in diagnostic mode
- Using the fan up/down buttons, select desired function from above
- press middle

sven914
06-28-09, 11:02 AM
This does not work for 94 and up.

Your right. But why? Maybe because the check engine codes are too generic for Cadillac's purposes. I was under the impression that both methods worked for OBD-I Cadillacs (which would have made more sense).

jey
06-29-09, 03:35 PM
94-95 were transition years for OBD esp. on GM cars - many cars had partially implemented OBD-II systems before the mandated 1996 standard. Didn't realize the Fleetwood was one of them but with the LT1 I wouldn't be surprised.

DerMann
06-29-09, 06:24 PM
119k is not bad at all for a 94-96 Fleetwood. The LT1 engine is built like a tank, and it will last you far beyond 200k if properly maintained.

As the others have said, test drive it, check for rust, run the OBD, and contact the original owner.

Ask if the water pump has been replaced. The waterpump is the proverbial Achillies heel of 94-96 Fleetwoods. 100k-120k miles is generally a good time to change it out, as it probably will fail and ruin the OBD-I directly underneath it.

Usually if you drive it and it feels good and everything works, there's probably nothing wrong with it. These Cadillacs don't tend to be lemons.

The price isn't bad, either, especially if the condition is as good as you say it is. You could probably get it down $200 or so, but anything around $3500 is a great deal.

90Brougham350
06-29-09, 09:29 PM
If you can stand blue leather, go for it. I bought my 94 with 172,000 miles, you'll be good to go for a long time.

Brian