: Electronic Problems in 1995 FWB

DerMann
06-26-09, 10:54 AM
This is rather odd and it just started happening to me yesterday.

I took my 1995 FWB to get it washed at some car wash, and after I drove out I noticed that even though my AC wasn't on, my windshield defogger was blowing at nearly full power. Pushing the off button didn't do anything, and pressing the defogger button made it blow more. Worst of all, the defogger keeps blowing even when the car is off with the keys out. I had to pull the fuse out of the HVAC to get it to stop, but now I don't have AC unless I have that fuse in with the defogger running. I don't think it's a fuse issue because putting in a fresh fuse produces the same results.

Also, I'm not sure, but my 12v sockets are not working. The car only came with one lighter, and it only worked in the rear passenger door, but when I plugged my radar detector in any of the sockets, it wouldn't turn on (tried it in another car and it works). I'll hopefully be able to hardwire it into the radio, should all else fail.

Lastly, don't know if it's normal or not, but after I started driving around after the wash, my external temp reading was stuck at 86 degrees, even after five minutes. It wasn't until I was nearly home that it changed to 101. But it's weird that there was nothing between 86 and 101. And none of the interior lights (apart from radio/AC and the dash) work at all.

thefleetwoodguy
06-26-09, 12:16 PM
check the ground wire at the neg battery post
the one that goes to a bolt in the inner fender
make sure its a good clean contact
could be a ccm issue as well
start with the easy stuff first
let us know what you find
have you checked for fault codes ??, if not due so and report back

DerMann
06-26-09, 12:43 PM
I never could figure out the onboard diagnostics. All of the directions I have read describe pressing the OFF and WARMER buttons. WARMER would be the red up arrow to increase temperature, right? Then the outside temp button to switch between modes.

I'll go check it out on my lunch break.

DerMann
06-26-09, 01:12 PM
Got the OBD working.

On -00 I got no error codes.
On -01 I got 23, 41, 120, 123, 124, 130, 131, 141, and 143.
On -02 I got no error codes.
On -03 I got no error codes.
On -04 I got 135

DerMann
06-29-09, 11:01 AM
Anyone?

thefleetwoodguy
06-29-09, 12:50 PM
the 01 section is for the ccm,
"23" dil (delayed interior lighting)
circuit is open or shorted to ground
"41" delay pot circuit which is the twighlight sentinal timer
the codes with a "1" in front of them are older "stored codes
have you gone over your fuses?
that would be my first thing, 2nd as per the fact man, check plugs at
the ccm, clean and tight?
did something get wet at the car wash that day?

its been my experience that when you have these multiple issues, it tends to be the ccm itself
but check fuses and look for a plce where there may have been water intrusion
you can clear a code by pressing the off button while on that code try clearing the codes and see if any reset

keep the faith we can figure this out, my moneys on the ccm JIM

DerMann
06-29-09, 06:09 PM
My fuses seem to be okay. One was popped out (can't recall which right now), but that was before the defogger started acting up.

I'll check the CCM out when I get home from work. I'm not completely familar with the layout of the Fleetwood yet, where would I find it?

While I was googling for possible problems/solutions, I found a thread on the LS/LT-1 Forums and the guy posting said that Goodwrench charges something like $275 to install a new CCM and it's a 10 minute job. Would I be able to buy one online or is it going to take digging around in junk yards?

THanks for your help, I really do appreciate it. I really need to get this fixed ASAP. Driving without AC in the Texas summer is murder.

thefleetwoodguy
06-29-09, 09:02 PM
I have one if you end up needing it

it is important to have the ignition key with it
I can explain that later

the ccm is located in the trunk just under the drivers side speaker
small silver box,
if you decide you want the ccm I have, just
P/M me and ill give you the price, my prices are v/fair

also just launched my new web site
its still being worked on, but its up, JIM
www.thefleetwoodguy.com

csbuckn
06-29-09, 11:34 PM
the codes with a "1" in front of them are older "stored codes

I'm glad you said that, I was looking in the service manual for 25 minutes.

DerMann
06-30-09, 01:19 AM
Took a look at it, and the connections are fine. I can't be 100% sure of it, but it does look like water got in somehow. All above the CCM there are water stains on the steel, and I can trace a couple streams dripping down to the CCM.

Would unmounting it and taking a look at the circuitry reveal evidence of water damage, or am I not going to be able to see the short.

Do go on about the ignition and the CCM, though.

thefleetwoodguy
06-30-09, 01:34 AM
when buying a ccm, you need to have the ignition key
that came with that car, due to the pass key code stored in
the ccm, what you do is replace the ccm
then have a new key made with the vatts code for the replacement ccm
any locksmith should be able to do this

I had a customer just called me about a 96 ccm, I was trouble shooting his issue and it looked like a ccm problem
he said he changed it once, but
the car wouldnt start!!, the mechanic had no clue to the pass key system
theres a bunch of diff codes 10-20 cant remember, but the odds of hitting the right code is almost nill, hence the key that the ccm came out of is necessary
JIM

thefleetwoodguy
06-30-09, 01:39 AM
Took a look at it, and the connections are fine. I can't be 100% sure of it, but it does look like water got in somehow. All above the CCM there are water stains on the steel, and I can trace a couple streams dripping down to the CCM.

Would unmounting it and taking a look at the circuitry reveal evidence of water damage, or am I not going to be able to see the short.

Do go on about the ignition and the CCM, though.

maybe try drying it out, you might get lucky,
once its out check that area with a garden hose, try to isolate
that leak and seal it, or youll be chasing your tail

DerMann
07-06-09, 11:42 AM
Took a look at the trunk seal yesterday after I changed the oil.

The rubber seal around the back edge of the trunk was almost completely off the edge for a good foot and a half. Just stuck it back on there with some super glue.

Although I couldn't find any more leakage after sealing it up, I'm not 100% sure if that was the root of the leak. Wish I could just lock myself in my trunk and have water spray over it...

Also, a garden hose doesn't have the same pressure as a car wash jet, so it might have been the water pressure that defeated the seal elsewhere, but there isn't any other place that seems like it would leak.

DerMann
07-09-09, 09:30 PM
It's definitely the CCM, as it's not only affecting the AC.

Went to O'Reilly's today to get a few fuses to see if that was the problem. Discovered that the reason why the interior lights don't work is because there no fuse at all. Popped one in and they turned on. Problem is, they don't turn off - any of them.