: Problem removeing crank bolt

qictrk
06-25-09, 07:00 PM
I trying to install W4M 9" crank pulley on my own. Can anyone tell me how you removed the stock center crank bolt. I'm trying with a bar but can't put enough pressure without moving the whole assemble. I have a impact gun, but its to big to fit between the radiator and the crank. HOW DID YOU GUYS TAKE IT OUT. Cecil.................:mad:

CadV
06-25-09, 07:17 PM
I trying to install W4M 9" crank pulley on my own. Can anyone tell me how you removed the stock center crank bolt. I'm trying with a bar but can't put enough pressure without moving the whole assemble. I have a impact gun, but its to big to fit between the radiator and the crank. HOW DID YOU GUYS TAKE IT OUT. Cecil.................:mad:

Warned you :P

The car is raised correct? Do you have an automatic tranny? There should be a cap that you can pop off where you can use a bar to stop the tranny from moving. It requires a second person. Once someone has the tranny locked up with the bar you can remove the bolt.

Then again I could be misunderstanding your post.

undertaker
06-25-09, 07:23 PM
crank bolts are a royal biatch.

even with an impact gun rated at 600 ft lbs and over airing it at 130 psi, I couldn't break a crank bolt on an 08 vette last summer with a few thousand miles on it, I wound up needing to pull the starter using a LS1 type crank holding kit (pretty much uses starter bolts and has teeth to lock down the flywheel/flexplate) and a 3 ft breaker bar, with another 3 ft pipe on it, and almost went flying when it finally broke (this was all on a lift of course)

I have since heard of the super top secret methodology of breaking the crank bolt.............long breaker bar and either get it up against the frame wrapped with rags, or on the ground where it can't move........

and then crank the starter which has enough torque to pop it right out. :hide:

CadV
06-25-09, 07:26 PM
Jason at SNL didn't use a gun just regular old wrench. He did it from the bottom with the car raised and it took some elbow grease :P

qictrk
06-25-09, 08:35 PM
I found the place to lock up my tranny and will give it another try tomorrow. Now i have to go out and buy a short extension. Thanks CadV for pointing out the place to lock up the auto trans and Undertaker, i hope i don't have to go that far. To be continued.......... Cecil..........:bonkers:

musclesbmf
06-26-09, 10:30 AM
keep us posted please, because I was going to tackle this myself too. But I've always done my own stuff.
If you get a chance, could you snap a pic of the auto trans lockup "thing-a-ma-bob".

thanks,
Mark

The Tony Show
06-26-09, 11:01 AM
crank bolts are a royal biatch.

I have since heard of the super top secret methodology of breaking the crank bolt.............long breaker bar and either get it up against the frame wrapped with rags, or on the ground where it can't move........

and then crank the starter which has enough torque to pop it right out. :hide:

I did that on a '72 Mazda RX2 once. It worked.

wait4me
06-26-09, 11:03 AM
Dont use the starter... You could break off an ear then you are screwed.. If you dont have an impact that fits, borrow one from someone.

dvandentop
06-26-09, 12:40 PM
i have always heated up the crank bolt in the past warm enough to loosen up the good old locktite on the threads

qictrk
06-26-09, 09:13 PM
I was able to lock up the transmission by jamming a large screwdriver into the hole that has a cap on it underneath the tranny. I will try to take a picture of it tomorrow. This is a job that will, at times, take two sets of hands. I have done some mechanical work, but most of it with old classic cars. I consider this project a tough one for people like me, who have limited experience. I was able to break the crank bolt loose using a long bar. I now have the new one on and should finish the project tomorrow. My muscles are to tired right now to go any further tonight. If any of you want to try this on your own and want some help, you can pm me with your phone number and i will call you at a time that will work for you. Cecil........

RapidRob
06-26-09, 11:15 PM
^^^ Congrats - good on ya! :thumbsup:

How much did you torque the new crank bolt to?

Rob

CadV
06-26-09, 11:26 PM
^^^ Congrats - good on ya! :thumbsup:

How much did you torque the new crank bolt to?

Rob

Hey Rob spec is 135 pounds.

RapidRob
06-26-09, 11:39 PM
^^ Thanks for that CadV.

Looks like the ideal setup is going to be the new TB, CAI, both a crank pulley and a snout pulley, expanded cooling option, and maybe the 160 stat as well. Still trying to decide if I want to throw the warranty to the winds or not. That and I'm still trying to find a decent speed shop in my area ..

Rob

CadV
06-27-09, 12:45 AM
^^ Thanks for that CadV.

Looks like the ideal setup is going to be the new TB, CAI, both a crank pulley and a snout pulley, expanded cooling option, and maybe the 160 stat as well. Still trying to decide if I want to throw the warranty to the winds or not. That and I'm still trying to find a decent speed shop in my area ..

Rob

Your setup is what I am shooting for as well.

I am still not sold on the CAI's over just modding the stock box. Ported TB is snappier.

I have been thinking about running a couple bottles of water wetter with distilled water instead of coolant. My car is garage kept and it rarely freezes in Texas.

qictrk
06-27-09, 07:29 PM
I finished with the 9" pulley install and i attached the picture of the hole i was talking about previously. The hole has a cap over it that can be removed with a screwdrive. It exposes the flexplate that you need to lock up. Hope this helps. I just downloaded software and will give you my opinion on the upgrades at a later time. Cecil............
9" pulley
air intake
exhaust change
tranny and engine sofeware change

musclesbmf
06-29-09, 02:53 PM
thanks for the pic!!
When you say you downloaded software, are you referring to installing the W4M tune via the handheld?

As for the install, I will definitely have another set of hands or two. I would like to think this is a pretty average job considering I've done blower and cam installs on corvettes and mustangs... but I guess time will tell.

Oh, one more thing, did you rent the crank pulley puller or have to buy one. Either way, can you tell me brand and part number?

Thanks,
Mark

qictrk
06-29-09, 04:00 PM
thanks for the pic!!
When you say you downloaded software, are you referring to installing the W4M tune via the handheld?

As for the install, I will definitely have another set of hands or two. I would like to think this is a pretty average job considering I've done blower and cam installs on corvettes and mustangs... but I guess time will tell.

Oh, one more thing, did you rent the crank pulley puller or have to buy one. Either way, can you tell me brand and part number?

Thanks,
Mark
I used W4M handheld max tune. I have only got on it a couple of times because of all the traffic in my area this time of year. I hope to get a chance in the next couple of days to really check it out, but so far, it seems to scream. I bought the puller off of ebay from J & R Quality Tool for $62 and that includeds shipping. You can buy it locally too, just look on ebay if you want to see a picture of it. Look for "harmonic balancer puller". Its the one with 3 different lenght rods in the kit. Cecil.........