: Intermittent power antenna on my 92

robb257731
06-25-09, 08:58 AM
I'm having a problem with the power antenna on my '92 Brougham D'Elegance.

When I bought the car last year, the antenna would not function. The guy I bought it from said it hadn't worked in 2 years. There was no motor noise, etc. I took the cover off the fender, and fiddled around with it (I think at the time the antenna was slightly bent, and couldn't rise) at which time the motor kicked in and it went up. It was touch and go after that, but with some lubrication it eventually started working. Sometimes it would only go up half way, but with a tug it would fully extend...again, some lubrication took care of that, and it would be fine.

A couple of weeks ago I turned the radio on, and had no antenna. No motor sound. I tried my old trick of fiddling with it, and nothing. A couple of days later I put the radio on, and abracadabra, it was up. Worked fine for a couple of weeks until yesterday when it's decided not to work again.

I checked the fuse and it's fine.

Any ideas?

sven914
06-25-09, 10:48 AM
Check the connector. If there is corrosion on the contacts, then the motor will not function properly.

robb257731
06-25-09, 10:53 AM
Thanks Sven....I didn't think of that.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-25-09, 01:25 PM
If you can, take pictures of how you got the cover off the fender to get at the antenna. The one on my car is stuck up and I have a replacement but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get at it without removing the whole fender. I have the FSM for the car and it says the antenna is in the trunk (WTF?) so that is no help.

robb257731
06-25-09, 02:15 PM
If you can, take pictures of how you got the cover off the fender to get at the antenna. The one on my car is stuck up and I have a replacement but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get at it without removing the whole fender. I have the FSM for the car and it says the antenna is in the trunk (WTF?) so that is no help.

I should have clarified that I popped the little molding off the top of the fender (that surrounds the hole from which the antenna comes out). I didn't mess around with the wheel well molding. I think that's how you get to the motor itself....take the tire off then unbolt the metal that fills in the wheel well.

jayoldschool
06-25-09, 03:04 PM

Search for my 81 coupe project thread. I have an antenna how-to in there, complete with pics!

robb257731
06-25-09, 03:49 PM
That's a great thread Jay. I meant to comment on it before. Very informative.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-25-09, 11:28 PM
I have looked at it, but yours is different than mine. My car is all solid plastic that is held in there extremely well. I had a local body shop quote me $100 to remove the fender and replace the antenna so its not that big a deal.

sven914
06-26-09, 12:48 PM
According to my 89 OEM manual, the procedure for removing the antenna assembly is as follows:

1. Turn the front wheels all the way to the right
2. Open hood and disconnect the negative battery cable
3. Disconnect antenna wiring harness and lead-in connectors
4. Remove antenna harness retaining straps
5. Remove escutcheon and two upper fender to antenna bolts
6. Remove lower half of the wheel housing
7. Remove one bolt retaining antenna assembly to inner fender
8. Remove bolts holding lower fender fender support and remove support
9. Remove one bolt holding antenna brackets together
10. Attach a guide wire to the to of the existing antenna. (The wire must be approximately four feet to allow removal of the existing antenna without the wire being pulled through the antenna opening.)
11. Remove antenna
12. Detach the wires from the existing antenna and attach it to the new antenna
13. Using guide wire, pull the new antenna into position while installing one inner and two upper antenna bolts.

From looking at my book, it looks like removing the fender won't do anything, because the antenna is mounted opposite the fender inner panel, which is welded to the car.

jayoldschool
06-26-09, 04:02 PM
That is exactly how I did mine, and the same way I did one on an 84...

drmenard
06-26-09, 10:35 PM
heres a little note to you guys that are not afraid to take your power antenna apart to fix it....when the plastic cable breaks and the motor keeps running and it don't go up or down.. a new cable with the top piece is what you need.... The cadillac dealer won't be able to find this part number in his computer... but they can order it when you give them the number...I keep a spare here ... 22039349

jayoldschool
06-26-09, 10:46 PM
Nice find! I didn't think these were available anymore. $15.10 from gmpartsdirect.com

Looks like I will be rebuilding a couple of power antennas!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-27-09, 12:02 AM
I have even seen people using weed wacker line to replace these. All you have to do is melt the lines together. I got a brand new antenna assembly (mine is bent anyway) off Ebay for $90.

robb257731
06-29-09, 08:42 AM
This is going to sound dumb, but I'm not a mechanical person (hey, at least I'll admit it!)...I can't find the connection for the antenna. I thought it was going to be near the right fender,because that's where the antenna mounts, but there's nothing there. Am I missing something?

jayoldschool
06-29-09, 10:45 AM
Reach down underneath the hood hinge where the inner fender slopes down. It is down in there. You can see both connections in my pictures.