: Zoomer's Exhaust

AuPanda
06-24-09, 06:43 PM
I met today with some of the guys from Zoomer’s Exhaust Works about getting a system put together for our V2s. They put my car up on the lift and proceeded to examine the stock exhaust system of the car. I think what they can put together sounds awesome, but more on that later. More than anything else I learned a lot about the “engineering” of our stock exhaust:

Our stock system is a mix of stainless steel and aluminum.
The catalytic converter comes in two parts. The first where the O2 sensor is to the engine side of the flange connection; the second looks like a canister a good foot or more after the flange.
There are crimps in the stock system, especially on the driver’s side, that narrow the flow to about 1”. The workmanship looks like crap as the tubes are bent with no consideration for air flow. There were so many crimps that it looks like a monkey went to town on the exhaust tubes with a hammer.
Unless you sacrifice ground clearance or jam the tubes closer to the body of the car (1/4” or less), there is no way a 3” system will fit on our cars from the flange back. Given the restrictions made in the crimping of the stock system, a mandrel bent 2 1/2” system would increase flow dramatically without sacrificing the daily drivability of the car.

I had a Zoomer’s exhaust on my C6 corvette and loved not only the sound but the added response was gratifying as well. You can check out their website for dyno numbers on other cars or the other forums (especially the SRT forum) for members reviews; it’s good stuff.

As I said I’m trying to convince Zoomer’s to put together a exhaust system for our car; to make it worth their while they need to sell a minimum of ten systems. I told them to count me as number one and I’d see if I can line up nine others. They told me the first ten or twenty members of the forum would get a 20% discount on the price (TBD). I would guess the price would be around $1,500 but from my experience well worth it.

So anyone else interested?

AuPanda
06-24-09, 07:36 PM
Trying to post pictures but I stink at this.

Here's the link to my pictures that include the stock monkey assembled exhaust and some pictures of the facility at Zoomers.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=481947&id=1080120537&ref=nf#/album.php?aid=25086&id=1080120537

AuPanda
06-24-09, 09:07 PM
OK this link should work:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39783238@N02/sets/72157620505097804/

aco
06-24-09, 09:09 PM
I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong, but Wait4Me's exhaust is 3" mandrel bent. So it can and has been done. Oh, it is also $1000 for the full exhaust, no silencers.

AuPanda
06-24-09, 09:18 PM
Unless you sacrifice ground clearance or jam the tubes closer to the body of the car (1/4” or less), there is no way a 3” system will fit on our cars from the flange back. Given the restrictions made in the crimping of the stock system, a mandrel bent 2 1/2” system would increase flow dramatically without sacrificing the daily drivability of the car.

I never said it couldn't be done.

nc09v2
06-24-09, 09:27 PM
While the driver side post flange headpipe and the other 3 crimps look a bit funky, I do not believe that our stock exhaust is all that restrictive. I think the GMPD guys spent a lot of time coming up with something reasonably quiet that still makes 556 HP.

That being said, if anyone wants to sell me their stock mufflers, I'd get the W4M exhaust setup for use with stock stock muffers tomorrow, or I'd get the full W4M system if it was available with mufflers to quiet it down some.

For what it's worth, not all the feedback in the SRT world on Zoomers was positive. There were issues with drone and the Jeeps in particular actually lost power with the 1st gen Zoomers system.

aco
06-24-09, 09:32 PM
I never said it couldn't be done.

Since I don't own the W4M exhaust, let alone a V2, I will not argue the point. I'll let W4M or owners of the exhaust confirm/debate the clearance issue. I'm just trying to pass on some information.

Tasos
06-24-09, 11:55 PM
Why re-invent the wheel? W4M and be done.

SSideways
06-25-09, 02:54 AM
there is no way a 3” system will fit on our cars :hmm:

wait4me
06-25-09, 10:52 AM
:) Yeah i have 3 inch full exhaust kits with perfect ground clearance already.. I havent checked but im sure it is the same or better than stock for ride height.

$800 bucks for the partial kit that uses the stock mufflers, or, $1000 that dont use mufflers and includes 4inch tips. Looks and sounds nice and mean.... With mufflers sounds almost stock but gives you back the power you loose from the x pipe center of the stock exhaust.....

AuPanda
06-25-09, 11:56 AM
:) Yeah i have 3 inch full exhaust kits with perfect ground clearance already.. I havent checked but im sure it is the same or better than stock for ride height.

$800 bucks for the partial kit that uses the stock mufflers, or, $1000 that dont use mufflers and includes 4inch tips. Looks and sounds nice and mean.... With mufflers sounds almost stock but gives you back the power you loose from the x pipe center of the stock exhaust.....

Jesse,

What I’m concerned about are the clearance tolerances as well; that is the clearance between the body, all those other “heat shielded” parts, and the exhaust. In looking at the stock system yesterday I don’t physically see any room without mashing a 3” pipe against the body and those components.

Also did you notice the crimps in the stock exhaust or is mine a one-off monkey flubber? I saw the most restriction on the drivers side in the pipe between the first cat near the exhaust manifold and the flange, but there were restrictive crimps everywhere.

SSideways
06-25-09, 12:40 PM
the forum has known about this issues since feb. check it out

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/159431-kooks-header-system-2009-cts-v-2.html#post1787186

AuPanda
06-25-09, 01:14 PM
the forum has known about this issues since feb. check it out

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/159431-kooks-header-system-2009-cts-v-2.html#post1787186

Thanks for the link.:thumbsup:

For such a high-tech car it appears the exhaust system was more of an after thought.

Luna.
06-25-09, 03:25 PM
Isn't the American Racing Header/exhaust system (mostly) 3"? I thought it only went to 2.5" to fit with the stock exhaust, but was 3" everywhere else.

http://www.hennesseyperformancestore.com/hpeststlotuh.html

I find it strange that a 556hp motor would use a 2.5" exhaust. That's at the point where a 3" system seems like it should be used.

Did Ron say that his mufflers can handle this much HP without any issues?

chris1268
06-25-09, 05:45 PM
While the driver side post flange headpipe and the other 3 crimps look a bit funky, I do not believe that our stock exhaust is all that restrictive. I think the GMPD guys spent a lot of time coming up with something reasonably quiet that still makes 556 HP.

That being said, if anyone wants to sell me their stock mufflers, I'd get the W4M exhaust setup for use with stock stock muffers tomorrow, or I'd get the full W4M system if it was available with mufflers to quiet it down some.

For what it's worth, not all the feedback in the SRT world on Zoomers was positive. There were issues with drone and the Jeeps in particular actually lost power with the 1st gen Zoomers system.

I can sell you my stock mufflers if you would like them just PM me

Tony407
06-25-09, 06:37 PM
I have Zoomer's mufflers on my Mustang and I love them. There is a bit more drone, but it really doesn't bother me on this type of car. I would not want that much drone on the V. It would be interesting to hear the Zoomer's on the V.

I'm going in Saturday to have my exhaust shop put on some aftermarket mufflers on the V.

Tony