: Are my factory speakers 2 ohms or 4 ohms?

modul8r
06-24-09, 06:01 PM
I have 2004 Deville with what I think is the "standard" sound system. I don't think it's Bose because there's no Bose labeling. Don't have the navigation either. Two tweeters in the front corners, 4 door speakers and a sub in the back. This question applies to all of the speakers.

Background info: I have an aftermarket Pioneer head unit that wants 4 ohm speakers and I may be running speaker wires directly from it to the speakers, so that's why I'm asking. I need to know if I would need to replace the speakers with 4 ohm ones (if the factory ones are 2 ohm) or not.

Thanks in advance.

chazglenn3
06-24-09, 06:21 PM
I suspect the factory speakers are 4 ohm, but I can't swear to it. Do you have a shop manual? The information may be in there. I'll go look in my Seville manual...nope...couldn't find anything in there. Maybe the speakers are marker with the proper impedance.

Submariner409
06-24-09, 07:23 PM
BEFORE changing head units, understand that the factory unit is also part of the theft and starting system. The aftermarket unit may be used, but the factory unit has to remain in the system also or you run into incredible electrical and no-start problems. Lots of threads on this here and in Electrical.

You need a GOOD installer to pull this one off.

Heide264
06-27-09, 10:45 AM
FYI i believe that's actually the bose system. The normal base system at least in my 97 DeVille has a pair of 6x9s in the back and no sub. Check the speaker size sticky above and see what it says maybe. Might be worth doing if you are swapping speakers out because you can't with the bose from my understanding.

chazglenn3
06-27-09, 12:51 PM
The newer (2000+) Deville base system does in fact have a subwoofer on the rear deck.

Heide264
07-01-09, 08:25 AM
Oops, my apologies. Sorry!

modul8r
07-01-09, 11:39 AM
FYI, that speaker size sticky doesn't list the ohm value.

We can let this thread die, considering I'm going to continue troubleshooting this (see my other thread) and try to get this working using the existing speakers, existing amp(s), with the Pioneer head unit. In other words, I have no plans to change speakers. It was just a thought.

Thanks for the replies though. I'll keep you guys updated in the other thread which is more related to the issue-at-hand.

Qball Customs
07-09-09, 10:55 AM
My base 2002 deville had 2 ohm speakers in the front doors. I replaced them with 2 ohm infinity speakers when the factory ones blew up.