: Should i or should i not??!!

uae
06-24-09, 05:07 PM
Hi
i'm thinking of owning a '09 cts-v, but i'm not sure if want the auto or the manual. So what do you think?
How does the clutch feel? Easy to change gears?
waiting for your feedbacks :)
cheers:bouncy:

jlford30
06-24-09, 05:15 PM
Win - Win proposition as far as I'm concerned, I'd like to hear from someone who has driven both, rather than 6M fanbois or hamburgerking (borrowed from earlier poster - funny as hell comment) record track time quoter's.

mryan
06-24-09, 05:23 PM
I'm lucky enough to own 2 V2's. One manual and the other auto.

I ordered my manual last year and as a weekend fun car the manual suited me fine. I liked the car so much I decided to make it my daily driver/work car. After a month or so I have to admit I became tired of shifting while in traffic and while trying to multi-task. I decided to trade my 08 cts in on another V2 with an auto trans and got to say the auto in this car is impressive.

If I had to choose one or the other I would probable get the auto unless I was a weekend track or autocross person.
You will love either so the only bad choice is not to get a V2.

mryan

1BlinkGone
06-24-09, 05:58 PM
IMHO, I'd go with the auto, unless you want to constantly churn through the gears. The auto shifts faster, and esp with a tune, I don't see any reason WHY you'd want to clutch/shift all the time. Right now I've got a borrowed automobile with a 5-sp manual thrashbox & manual clutch... I'm already sick of shifting. It's just no fun anymore. This actually was a revelation to me, because I was leaning towards the 6-sp manual. Having to shift all the time sucks. FAST thrills me, but Old-school, stick and clutch pedal Forced Shifting (whether for fun or grocery-getting)doesn't... not anymore. Of course, I'm not a kid, either. With the auto, I can still 'manual shift' if I want to.

Now if Caddy offered F1 shifting (as does Maserati or Ferrari) with REAL shift paddles behind the steering wheel (and no clutch pedal), I'd gladly reconsider.

But hey, you might be totally different. Either way I think you're gonna have fun.

Krug Ford
06-24-09, 06:30 PM
They are both nice and I have them in stock.. fly in and take one for a drive.

wh921
06-24-09, 06:33 PM
I think the V2's shifter feels excellent, with low effort and very little notchiness. The throws are slightly longer than what I would personally consider ideal, but it's certainly not excessive. The clutch is surprisingly light, considering the torque it handles. Overall, the shifter and clutch are leaps and bounds better than my previous car, a C5 Z06.

The dealer didn't have a manual V2 in stock, so when I was shopping for mine I test drove the auto. It was nice, but then I'm a guy who truly enjoys shifting, so even after driving the auto I never considered buying it. If you don't feel the same way about manuals, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the auto.

RWFJR
06-24-09, 06:48 PM
It's kinda of hard to shift with a smoke in your left hand and a drink in your right!:histeric:

vperl
06-24-09, 06:50 PM
They are both nice and I have them in stock.. fly in and take one for a drive.

When am I getting that carpet cleaner for the trunk?

That free pig you threw in left a gift....

Auto, the only way to fly

Heard a rumor that you were gunna throw in a side of beef all cut and packaged up with every deal. Waiting for mine

Krug Ford
06-24-09, 09:32 PM
It would be no good on the horse and buggie ride out west...

4gear70
06-24-09, 10:08 PM
Hi
i'm thinking of owning a '09 cts-v, but i'm not sure if want the auto or the manual. So what do you think?
How does the clutch feel? Easy to change gears?
waiting for your feedbacks :)
cheers:bouncy:

Everyone is going to have an opinion on which one YOU should get. The reality is that YOU have to like it and it doesn't really matter what we like. Just get out there and test drive both and see which one you like and which one you can live with.
As for your questions on clutch feel and gear changes.. The clutch is very easy to operate with minimal pedal effort and the gear changes are both positive and smooth.. very different than a V1.
Whichever one you decide on, enjoy it and have fun! They are both excellent transmissions that are well suited to this car. :)

vperl
06-24-09, 10:08 PM
It would be no good on the horse and buggie ride out west...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

no problemto, just Fed-X it to me, beef only
Tender loin is OK.. or Rib Eye

commander112
06-24-09, 11:36 PM
The real question is what do you like better? The car is great with a manual and I'm sure it is great with an auto also. I personally like to drive a car with a manual and have owned many. In fact, very few of the cars I have owned were autos over the years. If you are the kind of guy that likes the involvement that come with driving a manual and don't feel that operating a very light clutch in traffic would be too much work or a nuisance than a manual would be the way to go. On the other hand, if you can sympathize with some of the comments made by the auto drivers above get the auto. For me I knew all along that I was going to replace my V1 with a V2 manual and did not need to look further.

tedcmiller
06-27-09, 12:55 AM
I hate shifting gears and the earlier CTS-Vs that offered only a manual transmission were acceptable to me (2004 and 2005) only because there was nothing else. Unless you are a manual transmission freak or want a few more MPH on the top end (which is illegal througout the US), buy a 2009 CTS-V automatic.

CadV
06-27-09, 01:00 AM
If you get the auto, wait4me tranny tune is great.

Krug Ford
06-27-09, 01:06 PM
some of the cars I have.

http://www.superiorcadillacgmc.com/specialtyvehicles.asp

Krug Ford
06-27-09, 01:08 PM
http://www.superiorcadillacgmc.com/specialtyvehicles.asp

Mazz
06-27-09, 03:34 PM
from the UAE here, i own a 2008 STS-V and since i recently got married the STS is one lovely car for both family and some spirited driving when im all by my self. A LOT of friends r ditching their g8's bmw's and audi's and r hopping on the caddies. everyone used to say that they r american and will give u a hard time in the summer, i say that was centuries ago but nowadays this car is an amazing car with amazing performance to back it up, i wont compare it with any german/japanese car but i only hoped it had 360˚ sensors just like the beemers and some japanese ones. thing is its too good u wont re-think about it once u test drive it. no seat coolers like the normal 6 and 8 cyl versions which is like a must in our weather but trust me the A/C is damn cold with temp set @ 20˚ and minimum is 16˚. i have driven both auto and man 2009 cts-v and let me just say this thing is pure fun, crazy torque and top speed, i liked both but just like an earlier post said, if ur a stick man go for it but even the auto is amazingly fast. i recently got a tune from jesse shipped here and i was really impressed with the trans tune in both high performance tune and race only. the gear works like they were ment to and not like the factory. unfortunatly i cant test the power coz recently the dealership did something to my car and the boost is only hitting 1/4 the boost bar indicator. test drive both @ sharjah and custom order ur car, dont let them hit u up with one thats already sitting there with options missing or colors(interior/exterior) u dont like.

my 2cents and sorry for the long post