: Warranty ?/ anyone know of PCP company?

rnkath08
06-24-09, 04:12 PM
Trying to extend the warranty on my 06 STS, found Peoples Vehicle Protection bumper to bumper basically for a price I can afford, but haven't found any reviews online either good or bad...anyone know of any info before I plunk down a couple thousand dollars? Again thank you for your help!!!

dkozloski
06-24-09, 04:19 PM
Put the money in an interest bearing account and be self insured.

rnkath08
06-25-09, 01:01 AM
Let me clarify, I'm not asking for advice on whether or not to buy a warranty, I'm asking if anyone has any specific knowledge of the company Peoples Vehicle Protection. Reliable? Easy to work with in the event of a problem, etc.
Thanks

rnkath08
08-06-09, 11:37 AM
Just to update, couldn't find any good or bad info on that obscure warranty company, so after pricing a ton of them and getting spam mail from them all too frequently I ended up dropping a big buck at the dealership for a GMPP plan. It is the top end plan, I have an 06 STS awd, V8 with 17,500 miles so they sold me 72/72k for $2950. I think it was high, but given that I didn't buy the car from them, better to give them some margin so they'll work with me later? Maybe? I don't know, I think the warranty shopping was more frustrating than the car buying itself as there doesn't seem to be a way to really know if you're paying too much or not.
Anyone able to tell me I didn't screw myself too badly?

K STS
08-06-09, 12:03 PM
Nope. because you did.

Wait, let me edit this. You bought the warranty plan outright? Like cash, not finance? So you basically paid $2900 in what you may believe would be future repairs over the next 6 years? Why not just keep the $2,900 and see if you ever needed to make the repairs. With a new V6 long block costing $1500, I dont know exactly how you made out on this deal.

BaTu
08-06-09, 12:51 PM
I disagree.... A "Long Block for $1500" doesn't put itself in the car! :) and there are a Dozen other $3K time bombs waiting for you.

If your going to keep the car, you made the right decision. Only time will tell if you're going to come out financially ahead in the end, in the mean time, sleep well knowing you won't have to pay for catastrophic repair that could drop in your lap out of the blue one day ;)

Regulator
08-06-09, 02:05 PM
I disagree.... A "Long Block for $1500" doesn't put itself in the car! :) and there are a Dozen other $3K time bombs waiting for you.

If your going to keep the car, you made the right decision. Only time will tell if you're going to come out financially ahead in the end, in the mean time, sleep well knowing you won't have to pay for catastrophic repair that could drop in your lap out of the blue one day ;)

I agree, you made a very wise decision. I paid $1700 for a 2yr/24k + $200 deductibles and my plan has already paid for itself.

If you got the top plan (which I assume it includes everything electronic in the car) you got a steal.

rnkath08
08-11-09, 10:24 AM
Thanks Regulator, I'm glad you get where I'm coming from. I can "do" mods to my car by ordering the stuff then paying someone to install, so for me the thought of an engine or the Bose system or basically anything not working is going to cost me somewhere down the line. Add to that the threads where folks have said the things that have gone wrong, that are hugely pricey, and that's just one problem. IF anything happens, at least I feel like the floor won't drop out from under me. IF multiple things happen, I'll really be relieved later. If not, well, it's just like paying for term life insurance for my car. At least that's how I looked at it. This is the same bumper to bumper plan as the original warranty. I think brakes aren't covered, but not much else isn't.
As for the price, I was very frustrated. If we were to buy a car, we can look at kbb or nada, we can see build sheets and get dealer cost info online to know where to negotiate, with these warranties I could only compare quotes but couldn't find any real details of the costs to the dealerships at all. One of the sales managers is the brother to a patient who was very close to me, she asked him to help me, but still I just don't know if he "helped" me as I really didn't have a clue on their cost of the warranty.
K STS...I guess if you have the resources to find a long block for $1500 you have a point, but I don't. As it is, I'm scouring the net to find deals on the upgrades I'd like. I just got a Corsa perf. exhaust system for under $500, no idea what my guy will charge to install. Now trying to find a V style hood. I don't want to be a poser, but I love the lines on that hood vs. stock. The best I've found so far is $750...add frieght, add someone painting and installing, and I'm out nearly the cost of it at the dealer. So, when you don't have the ability to do it yourself, everything costs more.
(still looking for that sugar daddy who wants to pimp my ride...LOL)