: GPS is wacked out!

RWFJR
06-24-09, 10:15 AM
Took a trip to New Smyrna Beach from St. Petersburg several weeks ago. Most of the trip is on Interstate 4 (I-4). Both ways it kept telling me to stay on 400. Fortunately I know the way by heart, just like to play with my toys. I have had many Garmins, both boat and car without a single problem. This I see is Microsoft Technology.

Should I be concerned about inaccurate information from my unit. If so, who do I talk to to get it fixed (other then the dealer if that is possible)?

jlford30
06-24-09, 10:20 AM
Out of date map?????

CadV
06-24-09, 10:22 AM
I never rely on NAV directions to be honest but I don't travel in my car. It is handy to bring it up but I find it plots longer routes than plotting it myself.

RWFJR
06-24-09, 10:58 AM
Out of date map?????

I should hope not...it's brand new!!!

Even an old map would know I-4...

JFJr
06-24-09, 11:44 AM
Took a trip to New Smyrna Beach from St. Petersburg several weeks ago. Most of the trip is on Interstate 4 (I-4). Both ways it kept telling me to stay on 400. Fortunately I know the way by heart, just like to play with my toys. I have had many Garmins, both boat and car without a single problem. This I see is Microsoft Technology.

Should I be concerned about inaccurate information from my unit. If so, who do I talk to to get it fixed (other then the dealer if that is possible)?

I travel a lot on I-4, too, and get the same instructions regarding "400." I also had the same problerm with the nav system in my 2005 CTS-V. I have not experienced any other highway identity problems, and use the nav system frequently and find it very useful. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. None of these systems are perfect.

aco
06-24-09, 11:57 AM
Are there options in the nav system to use a specific route, i.e. shortest distance, shortest travel time, etc.? Perhaps this why it is using a "bad" route.

bpospo
06-24-09, 12:46 PM
is it maybe b/c they are doing some much work on I4? was the error all the way to the east coast?

jwa999
06-24-09, 12:48 PM
If you are already on I-4, the system would definitely re-route you using that. Perhaps it is a mislabeling of the "I-4" ?
Looking on Google, I see hwy 75 is also labeled 401 up north....(sooy, i'm not familiar with FL)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=from%20St.%20Petersburg%20to%20New%20Smyrna %20Beach&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

RWFJR
06-24-09, 02:45 PM
I travel a lot on I-4, too, and get the same instructions regarding "400." I also had the same problerm with the nav system in my 2005 CTS-V. I have not experienced any other highway identity problems, and use the nav system frequently and find it very useful. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. None of these systems are perfect.

Thanks for the confirmation that I am not the only one. I think I will email Microsoft and see what they have to say...if anything.

vperl
06-24-09, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the confirmation that I am not the only one. I think I will email Microsoft and see what they have to say...if anything.

or, you could push the OnStar button and ask to be connected to the people that have knowledge of the NAV system.
It may have been the Cadillac concierges that provided me with help with my NAV on my trip home, ONSTAR connected me....

your mileage may vary, but I got an answer in 4 minutes....

RWFJR
06-24-09, 06:48 PM

or, you could push the OnStar button and ask to be connected to the people that have knowledge of the NAV system.
It may have been the Cadillac concierges that provided me with help with my NAV on my trip home, ONSTAR connected me....

Excellent advise. I'm on the way out the door now. Just wanted to go for a drive also!!!

Thanks vp...

vperl
06-24-09, 07:36 PM
Excellent advise. I'm on the way out the door now. Just wanted to go for a drive also!!!

Thanks vp...

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

one can hope you got a answer, so let us know....

OnStar just went for the help without me asking....
They do a great job...... They were of great help on my trek home...

made the trip fun and easy.....

They knew every strip bar from Scott's dealership all the way home, oldedrummer55 had similar experience , except I think he was in Nevada, looking for a "Ranch" he told me, guess he
had a hankering for cattle herding contest or whatever

RWFJR
06-24-09, 09:15 PM
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

one can hope you got a answer, so let us know....

OnStar just went for the help without me asking....
They do a great job...... They were of great help on my trek home...

made the trip fun and easy.....

They knew every strip bar from Scott's dealership all the way home, oldedrummer55 had similar experience , except I think he was in Nevada, looking for a "Ranch" he told me, guess he
had a hankering for cattle herding contest or whatever

:histeric:

vperl
06-24-09, 09:35 PM

Results of inquiry

vperl
06-25-09, 10:07 PM

What did On Star Do to help you if they did?

RWFJR
06-26-09, 08:24 AM
What did On Star Do to help you if they did?

Sorry...Got sidetracked on the way out yesterday. Will do it today and let you know this weekend...

RWFJR
06-28-09, 03:15 PM

OnStar said they could not help me and advised me to contact by Tec Rep at Dew Cadi...Oh...they would connect me...I said no thanks. There is a new threat on page obne discussing this topic...

Cadillac Tony
06-29-09, 02:57 PM
I'm confused as to the exact nature of your problem- are you saying that it was referring to I4 incorrectly as "400", or was it trying to make you leave I4 and get on 400?

RWFJR
06-29-09, 03:05 PM
It said keep traveling on 400 when I was on I-4. This occured in both directions from St. Petersburg to New Smyrna Beach, FL. and back...

RWFJR
06-29-09, 03:06 PM
I'm confused as to the exact nature of your problem- are you saying that it was referring to I4 incorrectly as "400", or was it trying to make you leave I4 and get on 400?

It said keep traveling on 400 when I was on I-4. This occured in both directions from St. Petersburg to New Smyrna Beach, FL. and back...

Cadillac Tony
06-29-09, 03:08 PM
When I-4 crosses 95, it is actually called SR 400 until it dead-ends into Daytona Beach. Chances are that you got on I-4 in Smyrna, where it is called SR 400, which caused the GPS to continue to refer to it as 400.

If that's not the case and the car always calls it 400, then the people responsible are the ones who provide the map data to Alpine. Alpine builds the Nav systems, but NavTeq provides the map data. Microsoft only builds the OS, so they won't be of any help. Unless NavTeq decides to correct the name of I-4 in their next revision, there's probably not much you can do.

bpospo
06-29-09, 03:15 PM
it sounds like a disc erro (meaning I4 is mis labeled on the disc) now i know they have been doing work on I4 and maybe the company that wrote the disc did not update their info in time?? not sure but the nav should label I4 "I4" in some spots they did not move the entire highway that much as to the gps being off course. Now a good test would be if you have had any othe streets being mis labeled also; example 275 etc in your area.

Cadillac Tony
06-29-09, 03:24 PM
I've seen this happen on a few other streets (on different models like the DTS or Escalade). A good example is SR 436 in the Orlando area. The Nav in those models will sometimes call Semoran Blvd "SR 436", just like US 441 can also be called "Orange Blossom Trail".

I just ignore the name as long as it has me on the right road.

RWFJR
06-29-09, 03:55 PM
I've seen this happen on a few other streets (on different models like the DTS or Escalade). A good example is SR 436 in the Orlando area. The Nav in those models will sometimes call Semoran Blvd "SR 436", just like US 441 can also be called "Orange Blossom Trail".

Thanks Tony...However...I have had 5 Garmins starting in 1986, both boat and street nav. and had no problems (software glitches) with them. This is my first experience with Windows Automotive 5.0. It is not very different than Garmin except some of the trimmings are a little more elaborate. With that said, if it shows a problem with a major interstate, how can I trust it if I am in unfamiliar territory? I'd give Bill Gates a call but I lost his cell phone number. :histeric: Will continue research through Microsoft...

RWFJR
06-29-09, 04:03 PM

Found 400. It is between North Dixie Highway (Daytona Beach) and I-95...Not the route I was taking...

Cadillac Tony
06-29-09, 04:23 PM
Found 400. It is between North Dixie Highway (Daytona Beach) and I-95...Not the route I was taking...

400 is concurrent with I-4. It actually is I-4, but the name changes once you cross over 95 (like the 436/semoran blvd example I mentioned).

I doubt that following up with Microsoft is going to accomplish anything, since they just wrote the Operating System. NavTeq provided the map data and labeled the streets, and it sounds to me like they simply never programmed the "trigger" that tells the system you've left the part of I-4 called SR 400.

Complaining to Microsoft about a piece of software running on their OS would be like calling them asking for help with Adobe Photoshop- you need to talk to the designer of the software program, not the operating system.

RWFJR
06-29-09, 04:34 PM
400 is concurrent with I-4. It actually is I-4, but the name changes once you cross over 95 (like the 436/semoran blvd example I mentioned).

I doubt that following up with Microsoft is going to accomplish anything, since they just wrote the Operating System. NavTeq provided the map data and labeled the streets, and it sounds to me like they simply never programmed the "trigger" that tells the system you've left the part of I-4 called SR 400.

Complaining to Microsoft about a piece of software running on their OS would be like calling them asking for help with Adobe Photoshop- you need to talk to the designer of the software program, not the operating system.

Thanks Tony...

vperl
07-01-09, 11:37 PM

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Hwy 99 out here is called McLoughlin Blvd as one leaves town and is called Hwy 99 in other areas.... no biggie.....