: Need advice on door sound insulation

EldoRedo91
06-23-09, 09:10 PM
I wasn't sure to post this in the modifications forum or here, but I thought since this crowd probably takes doors apart, you might be able to help.

I have a 1991 Eldorado which came with a layer of jute in each door, primarily I assume for sound insulation but maybe temperature. This layer was not replaced when I had the drivers door replaced a few years ago, but I just found out (I took the interior door panel off to refasten it since it was rattling a bit).

I'd like to at minimum get that level of insulation back, but am not sure whether to just order some jute and install it, or try one of these aftermarket products like Second Skin. Or is there something better?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Frost
06-26-09, 09:39 AM
Not sure how Second Skin holds up against others. like Dynamat (sp) but there is a thread on here, where some guy re-did the entire interior of his 2001 DTS with 2 (two!) layers of Dynamat, including the trunk area. His goal was to make his Caddy as silent as a Rolls Royce - his words, not mine.

Apparently he was very pleased with the results and theoretically, it SHOULD pretty well shut out any outside noises. I would think though, that any rattle-producing problems on the INSIDE of the car would remain.

Every year in the Spring and Fall, I go through the interior of my '97 with screwdrivers and wrenches, tightening to spec all the fasteners I can locate. That small task alone will go a looooooong way to quieting down your ride - and the price is certainly right!

still_walkin
07-15-09, 03:19 PM
I agree cause screws do get loose and remeber when laying this stuff down clean the surface first don't cover any harness or openings its there for a reason. I used edead. But don't use fatmat I tried that stuff and a year later it came back down and the first couple of weeks I had a asplat smell in my deville not appealing