: Old Man's Car

RoyalCaddy1
06-23-09, 02:18 PM
Am I the only one that get's tired of hearing people saying Cadillac is for old people? I am 32 and my family members called me an old man when I bought a very nice pearl red 96 Cadillac Deville 3 years ago. But with out fail any time we went out of town on the highway, everybody demanded to ride in the caddy! LOL!! What was even more funny is the fact that they all had newer foreign cars but they prefered the comfortable ride of the cadillac. I believe Cadillac is seen as an old person brand because most young people can't afford brand new Cadillac's, while senior citizens usually can.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-23-09, 05:21 PM
My '88 is the definition of an old man car.

Rodya234
06-23-09, 05:41 PM
My '88 is the definition of an old man car.

People call my '91 an old man car too. Well, until they hear whats under the hood. :D

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-24-09, 01:23 AM
Yours is not nearly as much of an old man car as mine. The '88 just screams 75 year old man behind the wheel.

77CDV
06-24-09, 02:11 AM
With age generally comes wisdom, like knowing a damn fine car when you see one. So, to those who say it's an old person's car, I have a well-chosen British aphorism: Bugger off!

V-Eight
06-27-09, 10:07 PM
People call my '91 an old man car too. Well, until they hear whats under the hood. :D

Really? Everyone calls mine the Pimpmobile lol

ryannel2003
06-27-09, 10:20 PM
Mine is constantly referred to as a "grandma car"; mainly because little old ladies are the only ones around here that drive the damn things. The stigma of owning a Deville would be worse than my Seville, but I'd rather drive a Cadillac than anything else on the road.

Sandy
06-27-09, 10:23 PM
I have the 93 Sixty Special old man's car. AND the daily driver old man's car. my 2003 Lincoln Town Car. They are all just jealous that they don't have the money to afford to buy, run & keep an old man's car. Lose no sleep.
Tell 'em what I say, "BACK IN YOUR TOYOPET, NOW!

Rodya234
06-27-09, 10:56 PM
I think jealousy is a very big factor in the stigma around Cadillacs. Just today I had polished up my dad's wheels because we were going to a party, and at the gas station a girl in a crappy '90s Saturn pulls up to the pump, looks at the wheels and this disgusted look comes over her face.

I couldn't help but smile. :D Cadillacs and other luxury cars are vulgar to some people, because these are cars that no working man could afford to buy new, and the mere presence of these cars is enough to remind people of that fact.

gdwriter
06-28-09, 02:02 AM
I don't think I've ever had anybody call either of my Cadillacs old man or grandma cars. But I've gotten plenty of compliments.

RoyalCaddy1
06-28-09, 12:36 PM
It seems like with Cadillac you either love it or hate it, there is no in between. For some reason I have heard more comments about Cadillac being an old person car from baby boomers than from young people. Maybe a lot of them do not like Cadillac, because it is what their parents drove as a status symbol when they were growing up.

It is the boomer generation that really started the mass movement toward Mercedes, BMW, Lexus as the premier luxury brands in america back in the 80's and 90's, especially Lexus in the early 90's.

This is not true for ALL people from that generation but it is something I have noticed. I have an aunt that is from that generation, she is in her early 60's and she wanted to buy a new Lexus. She had not even considered looking at a Cadillac. I convinced her to test drive the DTS and she was hooked, she didn't even want to go to the Lexus dealer after that. Prior to that she said she hated Cadillac's growing up and would never buy one, but she never gave a reason. She changed her mind that day.

Sandy
07-09-09, 08:25 PM
If a person likes a full sized car, with a plush ride, "finished" interior that is pure elegance, V-8 Power and exclusive options, in a large car, there are only 2 domestic choices.

I started with Imperials. Freaking fabulous cars. I took out both Caddy & Lincoln owners and they were speechless when they saw what my Imperials had, that their cars did not! I had a 1968, 1972, 1976 and 1982.
Then, with the demise of the Imp, I hopped over to Cadillac with a 1988.
Now with a 1993 Sixty Special that has become a "show car" and a "Special Event" car and my daily driver is a 2003 Lincoln Town Car Limited Edition.

The only Foreignors I like are the Audi S8, the Maserati Quatroptorte and the Jaguar XF and XK Convertable.
SOooooo, I've been driving Old Mens's Cars since I was 22 years old.
I guess, now at age 62 - I should buy a 'Vette :cookoo:

96Fleetwood
07-09-09, 09:05 PM
I get that with the Fleetwood & Marauder, despite having visible 'hot-rod' modifications.

The only Foreignors I like are the Audi S8, the Maserati Quatroptorte and the Jaguar XF and XK Convertable.

Sandy, my Father just bought my Mother a new XKR Convertible (Azure Blue). :thumbsup: It is an AWESOME car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-12-09, 10:56 PM
My cars haven't been referred to old people's cars since I graduated high school.

Mizugori
07-14-09, 10:54 AM
Okay here's my $.02

I agree that it's more older people who call them "old people cars" or "grandpa cars." Young people love my car I get compliments all the time. A friend of mine who is about 40 kept calling it a "hooptie" (even though he has never even SEEN the car :rolleyes: ) and says it's a grandpa car. I told him it's an STS not a deville and he was like "yeah my grandpa had a late nineties STS that's exactly what I mean!" I can't even begin to understand that. The STS looks like a pretty cool sports car to me. The devilles look a little old-fashioned, and the 80's caddy's I agree look old-fashioned but I still like them. But Jesus, an STS?!

I think it's a lot of jealousy and also not knowing jack about cars. A lot of people that called it a grandpa car, I told them "Well my grandpa car has 300 horses under the hood. What does your tiny Japanese piece of crap have?" 90% of them had absolutely no idea how fast these cars are. Also, when I show people all the features they are blown away. Traction control, digital compass, rear view mirror that automatically tints when someone tries to high-beam you from behind, bose sound system, separate passenger climate controls, automatic closing trunk, all in a 97?? They are always really impressed.

Some people also have referred to it as a pimpmobile or pimp wagon.

One time I pulled up next to a honda prelude in a parking lot with several young guys crammed into it (you know the type, wannabe gangsters basically). They were giving me a look and kind of snickering to each other. I revved the engine, they tried revving theirs (which sounded like a lawn mower), and I drowned them out completely when I got up to about 4500 RPMs. Kept going up to 5500, the ground shook a bit, they promptly shut the hell up and drove off. 'Nuff said.

R6DTS
07-24-09, 10:32 AM
I think a lot of it is that they WISH they could afford a car like ours..I see PLENTY of people, young, middle age, old, driving these POS cars, like Neons, vans, random generic cars like the camry, and you know for sure when they look at you in your car its a look like damn, how did a guy that young afford that?!

I like to give em a look that says 'yea, my engine is worth more than your whole car is son'

and then show em what a 300 horse N* will do to a LX 4 cyl accord

Lord Cadillac
07-24-09, 11:51 AM
Am I the only one that get's tired of hearing people saying Cadillac is for old people? I am 32 and my family members called me an old man when I bought a very nice pearl red 96 Cadillac Deville 3 years ago. But with out fail any time we went out of town on the highway, everybody demanded to ride in the caddy! LOL!! What was even more funny is the fact that they all had newer foreign cars but they prefered the comfortable ride of the cadillac. I believe Cadillac is seen as an old person brand because most young people can't afford brand new Cadillac's, while senior citizens usually can.
If you think about it, Corvette's have the same exact stigma - because most young people can't afford them. So the next time somebody says something about a Cadillac being for old people - ask them, "Corvettes too, right?"..

RoyalCaddy1
07-24-09, 08:51 PM
I have to be honest, I don't get any comments about having an old person's car with my 96 Eldorado ETC I just bought. It feels a lot more sporty than the 96 Deville I used to have. My wife even likes the Eldorado better than the Deville and she usually thinks Cadillac's are for old people too. I still like the Deville as much as the Eldorado, there is just something majestic about floating down the highway in a big Caddy. As a matter of fact I'm getting the itch to buy a 99 Deville Concours to add to the fleet.

Cpt. Jon
09-01-09, 11:19 PM
Funny, I call mine an 'old mans car'... when it's parked. Then I roast everyone off the line and car pass people on the interstate in a second if I need/want to. I call mine my rocketship because as I depress the pedal on the highway, the car goes into a hover mode and jumps ahead. I never thought this "old mans car" would have so much power.

A Ghost
04-04-11, 07:21 PM
I hear that shit all the time too... SMH I bet these beats will blow that shit outta the water though

slowstang305
04-05-11, 08:49 AM
I'm young, and I love the ride of a caddy. Let people hate.

thebigjimsho
04-05-11, 11:52 AM
It's teh RIDE! All Cadillacs used to float. Old people love the float. If your Caddy floats, you got an old man's car. My 2011 Town Car floats a bit. It's an old man's car that just happens to make me money. My '09 CTS-V? Maybe it floats at 190...

Aron9000
04-05-11, 02:51 PM
My 91 has the trailer tow package and it doesn't float. Rides kinda crappy actually for a big car.

As for people who love the Brougham, its almost always black men over the age of 40 who just randomly come up and talk about the car.

Jesda
04-05-11, 05:32 PM
Older people have more money, so they tend to own nicer things.

orconn
04-05-11, 07:28 PM
^^^Jesda, you got that right!

And let's face the younger ones with money go for Mercedes or BMW. While the CTS may have brought the average age of a "new" Cadillac down a bit, that statistic must still be skewed toward those over fifty!

So you young guys who also like Cads, show a little respect for the folks that make you used car bargain possible!

ThumperPup
04-05-11, 09:27 PM
my lincolsn floated i loved them all
the caddy not so floaty but it is great

for an old man car naw i think my Lincoln Continetnal was considered an old man car for someone at the age of 16 who wanted it i got that all the time

cadillac kevin
04-05-11, 10:16 PM
@ Aron, I agree with you 100%. 95% of the time when I get a compliment on my car, its from an older black man (40+) whos________ (insert name of relative here) had a ________(insert 20 ft long cadillac here) back in the 70's or 80's.
btw, my caddy is an old persons car (and I'm proud of that). hell, it had a tony bennett cassette under the front seat.
If driving an old persons car means having to put up with a car that you can steer with 1 finger and that floats down the road, I'm cool with that.

ben.gators
04-05-11, 10:20 PM
So you young guys who also like Cads, show a little respect for the folks that make you used car bargain possible!

We always do that...:) But Orconn, you are not that much old.... So cheel with us until you get to that age! :D

EChas3
04-05-11, 10:24 PM
I may not be getting smarter, but I've learned a thing or two.

A luxury ride is a joy. A sport drive is also a joy. A compromise between the two is neither. As we get older, we often have access to more joy!

thebigjimsho
04-05-11, 10:39 PM
I may not be getting smarter, but I've learned a thing or two.

A luxury ride is a joy. A sport drive is also a joy. A compromise between the two is neither. As we get older, we often have access to more joy!
Town Car Executive L. CTS-V. You're right!

SDCaddyLacky
04-06-11, 12:16 AM
I think it partially depends who's behind the wheel if your going to judge a certain year Cadillac. A Black or Mexican behind the wheel makes the car look Gangsta and Pimp:sneaky:. A White guy behind the wheel makes people think, "Wow that's a Classic".

The 80's Cadillacs, like the Broughams, look old mannish to me, pimpish, while the newer rounder body style Cadillacs of the 90's Fleetwoods and Deville, look more modern and youngish.

It also depends on what neighborhood you live in. If you live in a middle or upper middle class neighborhood, which are usually filled with brand new Lexus's and Euro Luxury cars, you will probably be looked down upon as gas hog, especially here in California. If you live in the hood, your Fleetwood or Deville will be complemented on, Black and Hispanic guys will look at you with either a hater face:annoyed: or a "Eh Man, That Car is Tight", "Nice Clean Caddy U Got Dere Homie".:D

I generally get nice stares from people, mostly young guys, or zero stares because either people are intimidated by the size and looks of my car, or they are not looking at me or the Fleetwood because they see how I look and start pre judging in a negative way because my Caddy has tinted windows, a nice sound system and white walls. So it does look pretty Gangster, and Pimpish.

And yeah, I love the feeling when I pull into a gas station and someone looks over in disgust because my Fleetwood is so big and brash. It's almost like I am insulting people for driving smaller cars lol.

Overall, I believe Lincolns are way more of an Old Mans car. The Town Car has "Old Man" written all over it. When I first got my Fleetwood, I finally felt cool! It was me, I felt so comfortable and happy for once. Driving a 93 Town Car for 2 years made me feel old compared to the 94 Fleetwood, with all that chrome and it's slick rear end, it's a much cooler car to drive. The respect and "Aww" you will receive from the general public is truly worth it.

Now the 60's Lincoln Continental's do have conservative styling, but are much more balanced between what kind of person would drive a Suicide Lincoln, both young and old suit that car perfectly not just one or the other.

Today, Those Continentals are considered "Bad Ass", and "Cool", not "Grandpaish". Lincolns in the 70's decided to move towards more of a formal styling, a dressed up mature look that won over lots of wealthy old men. It's been that way ever since the 70's. Cadillac at least attracts younger buyers, and Caddy has always been considered a much cooler flashier, more advanced luxury car compared to Lincoln.

firstimecaddi
04-06-11, 10:56 AM
I think it partially depends who's behind the wheel if your going to judge a certain year Cadillac. A Black or Mexican behind the wheel makes the car look Gangsta and Pimp. A White guy behind the wheel makes people think, "Wow that's a Classic".

really???

OffThaHorseCEO
04-06-11, 11:04 AM
really???

Really.

Stingroo
04-06-11, 11:13 AM
Hate to say it, but...

Really. That's how a lot of the pubic sees these cars.

firstimecaddi
04-06-11, 12:33 PM
^^^please to explain.

Black/Mexican = gangster/pimp
White = Classic

Stingroo
04-06-11, 12:43 PM
People have been pre-judging other people since the dawn of time. I see it every day. I'm Puerto Rican, but I have light skin so nobody ever gives me a second glance, but I've seen my cousins get a lot of bullshit.

Such is life.

thebigjimsho
04-06-11, 02:10 PM
People have been pre-judging other people since the dawn of time. I see it every day. I'm Puerto Rican, but I have light skin so nobody ever gives me a second glance, but I've seen my cousins get a lot of bullshit.

Such is life.
Is that why you're so mouthy?

Submariner409
04-06-11, 02:27 PM
I'll tell ya' - this old man thing is going just too far - why, it's gettin' so bad I even have to use great grandmaw's tin ear horn just to hear the STS chirp second !

OffThaHorseCEO
04-06-11, 02:33 PM

Such is life.

when the hell did you become puerto rican?

But as much as it sucks, people do generalize like that, although its not as clear cut black and white as that.

For some reason, alot of people (even some black people and hispanics) cant imagine a black person or hispanic holding down a decent job to be able to pay for a nice car. So they assume they sold drugs or robbed or pimped their way to success.
The reason i say its not as clear cut as that is because white guys like this exist and sometimes drive cadillacs
http://www.josh-fernandez.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/wigger.jpg

Stingroo
04-06-11, 04:51 PM
Since birth, brah. You don't get a last name like Sáez from being Irish or Scottish. :lol:

RippyPartsDept
04-06-11, 04:52 PM
so we got ageism and racism covered... anyone want to go for sexism?

Stingroo
04-06-11, 06:18 PM
Women can't drive in the kitchen.

[/bases covered]

OffThaHorseCEO
04-06-11, 06:27 PM
why dont women need watches?

Stingroo
04-06-11, 06:31 PM
There's a clock on the stove.

Old joke is old.

OffThaHorseCEO
04-06-11, 06:33 PM
thats why you go with the more modern one.

Theres a clock on the microwave. we all know women dont know how to cook anymore

Stingroo
I c wut u did ther.

OffThaHorseCEO
Old joke is old.

tired meme is tired

Stingroo
04-06-11, 06:34 PM
That may be, but it is still quite effective.

OffThaHorseCEO
04-06-11, 06:36 PM
touché

OffThaHorseCEO
04-06-11, 06:41 PM
When i got my first caddy i was 21, it was a 2001 Deville, cashmere color (most base deville in the most base color). I drove it around like it was the hottest thing on the streets.

One night a girl i knew came up and started trying to flirt, then wanted to get in my car with her cigarettes and alcohol. I was like hellz to the naw biznatch. She got all mad that she had gotten shot down. She said "Oh what you think youre all hot now because you got a Cadillac? You think a caddy makes you hot?" (i really didnt think i was hot shit, i just didnt want people drinking smoking in my car)
My quick wit surprised even me and i hit her with "Hell naw I make the caddy hot! Theres a thousand other cars like this driven around by a bunch of old men, do you throw yourselves at them and try to get in their car? NO!"

but to be honest, noone has ever given the "you have an old people car" about a cadillac, the roadmaster yes. Someone told me to take grandma her car back before the groceries in the trunk spoil. i proceeded to smoke their crappy little Eclipse GS whatever turbo

ThumperPup
04-06-11, 07:37 PM
^^

Black/Mexican = gangster/pimp
White = Classic

but if its a white dude driving and they doing the gangster lean in the seat now thats pimp gansta lol

and if its a white dude in my area driving a caddy with some 20s or bigger then they are a gansta or a dealer

ok maybe not maybe just some rich trust fund kid playing gangsta

orconn
04-06-11, 07:52 PM
When i got my first caddy i was 21, it was a 2001 Deville, cashmere color (most base deville in the most base color). I drove it around like it was the hottest thing on the streets.

One night a girl i knew came up and started trying to flirt, then wanted to get in my car with her cigarettes and alcohol. I was like hellz to the naw biznatch. She got all mad that she had gotten shot down. She said "Oh what you think youre all hot now because you got a Cadillac? You think a caddy makes you hot?" (i really didnt think i was hot shit, i just didnt want people drinking smoking in my car)
My quick wit surprised even me and i hit her with "Hell naw I make the caddy hot! Theres a thousand other cars like this driven around by a bunch of old men, do you throw yourselves at them and try to get in their car? NO!"

but to be honest, noone has ever given the "you have an old people car" about a cadillac, the roadmaster yes. Someone told me to take grandma her car back before the groceries in the trunk spoil. i proceeded to smoke their crappy little Eclipse GS whatever turbo

^^^ That's the spirit!

Submariner409
04-06-11, 10:26 PM
A dear female friend starts the car - and gets lost in the garage.

I know a woman.
What kind of woman?
A woman with Voodoo.
Voodoo?
Who do ??
You do.
You do what?
Know a woman.......