: How do you pronounce Brougham?

Aron9000
06-22-09, 02:35 AM
Just wondering, I've heard it four different ways now. Me and my Cadillac friends always pronounced it BROAM, leaving the g and h silent. All the ghetto people call it a BRO-HAM, like a surfer saying BRO and a christmas HAM. I know that isn't right, and it sounds trashy.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/brougham

I went to the Merriam webster site and looked up Brougham. They have it pronounced two different ways, both which I had never heard. BROOEAM, which sounds like broom. BROUHEM, which leaves out the g but emphises the H, and kind of sounds like the ghetto BRO-HAM.

!&#&*$ French and their damn language:wacky:

Bro-Ham
06-22-09, 03:00 AM
Hi, Search the archives on this forum - - this question has been asked before and everyone seems to have their favorite way to say Brougham. I love the way the ghetto folks say BRO-HAM and I always use that pronunciation to be funny. BROME is probably the most common way to say it. To my ear saying BRO-am is getting a little over the top and other more complicated (and French-like) pronunciations come off as sounding affected and overly fancy. We're Americans so you can say it any way you want your ear to hear it. Dave

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-22-09, 02:12 PM
I was always told its pronounced Bro-um. Everyone I have met calls it that as well.

Submariner409
06-22-09, 02:28 PM
Broohm, broam.........

"I say towmayto, you say tohmahto........."

jayoldschool
06-22-09, 02:45 PM
How do you pronounce Brougham?

The same way every time someone reposts this question :D

sven914
06-22-09, 02:50 PM
The original Brougham was a carriage invented specifically for Henry Brougham, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux, who was Lord Chancellor to Great Britain. The pronunciation of the Lord Chancellor's last name (and therefore the original pronunciation of Brougham) is broom.

Because of the French accent the word is pronounced brōm (brome) in Paris. Cadillac was a Frenchman, as well as the founder of Detroit and the name sake of the Cadillac Motor Car Company, and therefore it is my interpretation that Brougham is pronounced correctly in French. (Sounds better too :hide:)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-22-09, 07:32 PM
Broam.

Brizzal
06-22-09, 10:11 PM
i also pronounce it broam

jey
06-24-09, 01:45 PM
Yeah broam sounds good to me - who wants to go around saying they drive a Cadillac Broom unless you want people to think you're a witch :) Though I avoid the whole thing and say I drive a Fleetwood, which is correct for 93-96 anyway since Brougham is only a trim package.

robb257731
06-24-09, 02:36 PM
Brogg-ham. LOL