: What are the differences between 99> and 00< motors?

2dedge
06-21-09, 05:54 PM
I know they have coils on plugs, the head studs where redesigned, and they went to roller followers.

I had a 99 motor with stand alone management in my rock crawler and I tossed a rod last week through the block.

Can I pick up a 03-05 motor which seem to have the best headgaskets and run it on my current computer/harness/coils? Didi they change crank sensor location/timing or cam sensor. I am asking about the non VVT engines?

Thanks

Submariner409
06-21-09, 06:43 PM
Not sure about your management system, but the 2000 - 2004 have different crank sensors and reluctor wheel tooth spacing. Coils and PCM are also specific, but some have run the engines on stand-alone electronics.

Saw your other post on the rod and I'll bet that the overheat caused a rod bearing to spin and eventually lock.

Take a look at the ad at the top of the pages - about studs - Jake is in Canada and builds a LOT of Northstars (97 EldoCoupe, a CF member). He'll have a good idea of what will and won't carry over with a newer engine than your '99

2dedge
06-23-09, 08:56 AM
I blew up my motor and the 99 and older motors are few and far between and head gaskets are time bombs.

I found a few good deals on newer 03-05 motors but no one can tell me if the cam sensor/cranks sensor outputs are the same. I have a sudo stand alone system runnning a 7727 computer and a harness I built.

If I can't get a clear answer I think its going to get a 3800 II supercharged motor to get away from the headgasket issues.

CHEAPER in the long run than buying another motor/gaskets/studs ect.

Thanks Geoff

2dedge
06-23-09, 08:59 AM
I know they are coil on plug so I was hoping to use my current coil pack wire setup.

Oh and the non VVT motors

Submariner409
06-23-09, 09:22 AM
You have 2 parallel threads on this earlier on this page, and there was a reply there on the engines that basically said the 2000+ cranks have different position sensors and different reluctor wheel tooth spacing.

Keep all this info on your rock crawler engine in the same thread, and the Northstar builders then have some point of reference to fall back on.

Ranger
06-23-09, 12:03 PM
I'll merge them. PLEASE keep them together.