: Olds 307 Heater lines.

Slacker
06-20-09, 06:48 PM
Hi all,

I'm currently a bit confused when hooking up all my coolant lines. It seems like I'm left with one extra. I found this picture online but can't figure out where the hoses are routing to. I'm talking about the two fittings that come out of the passenger's side of the engine. One (boxed in green) is by the distributor and the other comes out of the block. (Boxed in red).

Thanks!

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/7897/307fus.jpg

creeker
06-21-09, 05:51 PM
Hi all,

I'm currently a bit confused when hooking up all my coolant lines. It seems like I'm left with one extra. I found this picture online but can't figure out where the hoses are routing to. I'm talking about the two fittings that come out of the passenger's side of the engine. One (boxed in green) is by the distributor and the other comes out of the block. (Boxed in red).

Thanks!

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/7897/307fus.jpg

I used to have a 88 buick electra with a 307,I dont remember a hose like in the red box,what kind of car is this?

creeker
06-21-09, 06:02 PM
I seen one of your posts that you put a 307 in your 82 dvl.Maybe post this in your bio.

N0DIH
06-22-09, 09:10 AM
What you have highlighted is the AIR hoses, not heater hoses.

The heater hoses connect to the water pump, should have a loop and clipped to the choke housing and go to IIRC the firewall or heater control valve and then firewall.

You can follow the 2 hoses, one FROM the water pump and one TO it, there is a heater control valve (to help keep heat out of the car when warm out and heater is not commanded).

Slacker
06-22-09, 02:12 PM
What you have highlighted is the AIR hoses, not heater hoses.

The heater hoses connect to the water pump, should have a loop and clipped to the choke housing and go to IIRC the firewall or heater control valve and then firewall.

You can follow the 2 hoses, one FROM the water pump and one TO it, there is a heater control valve (to help keep heat out of the car when warm out and heater is not commanded).

Thanks for the info! I figured the one off the side of the block was an AIR line. I wanted to verify that because I have a hose coming off the back one with no place to go. The one by the distributor does spray coolant out of it though. (Had it routed to the reservoir and it filled it up within 10mins and started overflowing).

Also the water pump only has one heater outlet, there's no return to the pump. Does the return just go straight to the radiator?

Thanks again.

Slacker
06-22-09, 02:13 PM
I used to have a 88 buick electra with a 307,I dont remember a hose like in the red box,what kind of car is this?

I believe I got that picture from eBay motors. I think it was a Toronado with a 307. It was the only picture I could find that you could somewhat see what I was referring to. Sorry for any confusion. :D

Slacker
06-23-09, 12:13 PM
Here is a more exact image of the line in question. It comes right off the rear of the manifold. (Boxed in red)

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3054/307manifold.jpg

Thanks again for all the help.

N0DIH
06-23-09, 02:09 PM
And as always, be careful with Toro's, they are unique often the in Oldsmobile world.... There was always some exclusive things they got over regular Olds engines. Distributor parts often come to mind (they had some "backwards" parts, but it was all that way, so they just had to match)

I believe I got that picture from eBay motors. I think it was a Toronado with a 307. It was the only picture I could find that you could somewhat see what I was referring to. Sorry for any confusion. :D

Slacker
06-25-09, 06:19 PM
And as always, be careful with Toro's, they are unique often the in Oldsmobile world.... There was always some exclusive things they got over regular Olds engines. Distributor parts often come to mind (they had some "backwards" parts, but it was all that way, so they just had to match)

Interesting, is this because they are FWD?

By the way, fixed the problem. The port that looked like it was going from the manifold actually went through it to the block. It was the heater valve. I put the vacuum line to the back of it and hooked it to the one side of the heater core lines. The other line I sent to the water pump. I had an extra spout on the radiator that I plugged. (I'm guess from differences between the ht4100 that was in the car and the 307 that's in it now.)

N0DIH
06-25-09, 07:37 PM
Oddly, not neccessarily. The Toro's were top of the line. They got things the other lesser Olds didn't get. Sometimes we don't know why.

They got often more HP/Torque. Like a W30 455 was 375 hp and 500 lb/ft torque. The W34 Toro version was 400 hp.
They got special stuff inside, better parts, balancing was better.
Sometimes it was for the FWD, like the lower intake to fit under the hood.

One I know for sure, there are 2 HEI coils, red/white wires and red/yellow. Ok, what is difference? I dug, I found out....All Olds got red/white but Toro's got red/yellow.

The coils are wound for the rotation of the distributor, the polarity of the coil output will be "backwards" if it is induced by the pickup coil in the bottom of the dizzy if it turned around. But wait you say, how could this be? Well, there is 2 pickup coils too.

So Olds got red/white and the corresponding pickup coil. So did Pontiac too.
Chevy got the red/yellow coils as did Cadillac and Buick and the same pickup.

But there is a different pickup coil, so Toro got both the red/yellow coil and the pickup coil that was for the Toro's. So it could use it.

Why? I have no idea.... Call it exclusive to Toro.....

I'll have to dig up the details, it was interesting....

but the coil is wound a certain way and the pickup coil that activates it is wound a certain way, so when the reluctor would go by, it would go + then -, so the coil would respond that way with its output. If you turn the dizzy backwards the coil output is reversed, the pickup coil goes - then +. So Toro got the backwards coil and a backwards pickup coil so it all acted correct.