: anyone catching the PR on Castrol Edge?

EcSTSatic
06-19-09, 01:17 PM
Castrol claims 8X better wear protection (http://www.castroledgeusa.com/) than Mobil 1 5W-30. AutoZone is discounting it by $3 / qt up to 12 qts. I remember when I could do an oil change for $3 :crybaby:
Is any oil worth $9????

Submariner409
06-19-09, 04:47 PM
My oil's better than your oil, and I'm willing to advertise to prove it........

CIWS
06-19-09, 04:56 PM
Is any oil worth $9????

Can I get 25,000 miles between changes with it ?

creeker
06-19-09, 05:48 PM
My oil's better than your oil, and I'm willing to advertise to prove it........

And if you hear the same thing enough times, you start to believe it.

Ranger
06-19-09, 09:04 PM
And if you hear the same thing enough times, you start to believe it.

How many times have we seen that here.

Sevillian273
06-19-09, 09:10 PM
The way I see it, no matter how long an oil protects, the longer its in there, the more blow-by gasses it is exposed to...

C0RSA1R
06-19-09, 09:16 PM
I agree. I have rarely, if ever, gone more than 3,500 miles without an oil change. Generally, I'm pulling into the store to buy oil as the odometer ticks the 3,500th mile, and then it's a drive home and up she goes.

With this new GM Oil Life Monitor (ok, new to me in my Starship), I'll probably trust the system for a little bit and see what it says. I'll let it get to about 10% oil life and then change it, and see what the mileage is. I'm too lazy to keep a log of all my driving (conditions, temperature, traffic, etc) to make that worthwhile - I figure the computer probably knows what it's doing, and that just leaves me to watch for special circumstances on my own.

As far as oil? Mobil1. Always have, always will. Don't really know if it works any better than anything else, but every engine in every car I've ever had has been a real star performer. This includes my gutless little 2.8L V6 in my 87 Cutlass Cruiser. Seems to be working fine for me.

billc83
06-19-09, 09:46 PM
The longer its in there, the more blow-by gasses it is exposed to...

Sort of like me in an enclosed room after a full serving of beans.

Rodya234
06-20-09, 12:46 PM
With this new GM Oil Life Monitor (ok, new to me in my Starship), I'll probably trust the system for a little bit and see what it says. I'll let it get to about 10% oil life and then change it, and see what the mileage is.

Doesn't the system in the Eldorado start warning you at 10% oil life anyways? Because the one in my Devilles do and their a lot older.

Submariner409
06-20-09, 01:28 PM
If you drive more than exclusively city driving, as in: rural or highway, that OLM will ratchet down fairly slowly - GM still says (for the 2002) "12,000 miles or 1 year, whichever occurs first".

During the time I was running slow after significant neck surgery my car did a fair amount of road running as it was a way to get out comfortably and relax. At the end of that particular year my OLM was still at 45% and 7,500 miles - 12 months. (Why did I let it go that long ? I couldn't DIY under the car. I used to be a grease monkey. I don't trust today's crop of grease monkeys.) Like CORSA1R, I run synthetic and WIX - the morning after I bought the car on 11/21/05 it went up in the air and I changed to Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and a WIX 51522. As stated several times, 1 quart in 3,500 miles, not a drop on a 1,600 mile Florida round trip. I think it's the slow driver that kills these engines.

Ranger
06-20-09, 04:48 PM
Doesn't the system in the Eldorado start warning you at 10% oil life anyways?
Yes it does.

I'm too lazy to keep a log of all my driving (conditions, temperature, traffic, etc) to make that worthwhile - I figure the computer probably knows what it's doing, and that just leaves me to watch for special circumstances on my own.
It does. It monitors all that and more for you. You need to watch noting but the oil life remaining (if you want to). Like Rodya said, it will alert you.

Sevillian273
06-20-09, 07:04 PM
Yes it does.

It does. It monitors all that and more for you. You need to watch noting but the oil life remaining (if you want to). Like Rodya said, it will alert you.

When it gets to 4% in my 90' I get CHANGE OIL SOON in the DIC every time the ignition is turned on. At zero it reads CHANGE ENGINE OIL at every start... My owners manual actually recommends changing every 7500 miles and that was written in 1989! 7500 miles on oil technology that is now 20+ years old:yup:

Remember when oil came out of a steel can? I sure as hell don't!!:histeric:

Ranger
06-20-09, 07:15 PM
Remember when oil came out of a steel can? I sure as hell don't!!
Unfortunately, I do. Part of every toolbox was a can opener aka church key. Still have one hanging on my peg board come to think of it. Don't ask why.

C&C
06-21-09, 05:41 AM
Oops, "Antique oil spout"; remember it, heck, I've used it. :thumbsup: So that goes without saying, I've seen and used the metal cans.
http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_430xN.59744920.jpg

Ranger
06-21-09, 10:56 AM
I remember those as well. Might actually still have one.

orconn
06-21-09, 11:49 AM
Oops, "Antique oil spout"; remember it, heck, I've used it. :thumbsup: So that goes without saying, I've seen and used the metal cans.
http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_430xN.59744920.jpg

Old, I quess so, Atlantic Richfield oil hasn't used the eagle logo since it changed its' name to Arco back in the 1960's!!

Submariner409
06-21-09, 04:03 PM
Hah !!! More than unfortunately I remember when standard old SAE 30 motor oil was pumped from bulk oil drums each morning, into 1 quart glass bottles, each with a screw-on spout, and placed in a 6-bottle wire carrier which sat at the base of the gas pumps. When the kid came out to fill the car he did the windshield and checked the oil. "You need a quart of oil, Ma'am". "OK" Mom said........

Just looked............still have 2 can spouts.

Ranger
06-21-09, 05:41 PM
Hah !!! More than unfortunately I remember when standard old SAE 30 motor oil was pumped from bulk oil drums each morning, into 1 quart glass bottles, each with a screw-on spout, and placed in a 6-bottle wire carrier which sat at the base of the gas pumps. When the kid came out to fill the car he did the windshield and checked the oil. "You need a quart of oil, Ma'am". "OK" Mom said........

Just looked............still have 2 can spouts.
Damn, I remember those too.

Submariner409
06-21-09, 06:56 PM
Remember when the Quaker State can said "Made from Pennsylvania crude oil" ? Then, in the 60's, a quiet shift to "Made from Pennsylvania grade crude oil".

Ranger
06-21-09, 07:09 PM
Now THAT I don't remember.

Eric Kahn
06-21-09, 09:49 PM
anyone that used the old spout also remembers that they always leaked which is why you always had a rag around them

Ranger
06-21-09, 10:08 PM
Hehe. Right you are. Oh the memories.

Night Wolf
06-21-09, 10:16 PM
I remember a time when oil was a figment of our imagination processed from wild antelope then passed thru the tuskegee pipelines in Northern South Dakota along the Eastern banks of the Western most run of the Mississippi by the minutemen.

orconn
06-21-09, 10:22 PM
^^^ Guess it's inevitable that when you spend so much time in a Jeep your are bound to bang your head repeatedly! Here we see the results!

Sevillian273
06-22-09, 01:52 AM
:histeric:

EcSTSatic
06-22-09, 10:18 AM
anyone that used the old spout also remembers that they always leaked which is why you always had a rag around them

Remember during the transition from cans to plastic bottles the t-shirts with oily handprints right over the girl's breasts saying "real men use oil from cans"?

What I like about today is I can recycle the oil, the #2 plastic bottles and the cardboard case. :highfive: