: upgrade car to later PCM??

bbshriver
06-19-09, 09:28 AM
Here's a (probably dumb) question.
Since it seems the 2005 computer is "untuneable" at least based on what exists today, will a newer computer "plug in" or are all the sensors etc different?

Also, if a newer computer can be substituted for old, would a newer 6 speed auto be a direct bolt on (with appropriate computer)?

And this is just theory no idea if I'd do it. Don't bother with the "just buy a newer car" line of argument.. if I could've I would've.

ifmracin
06-19-09, 10:51 AM
The money you will spend will probably make it the same/similar cost the newer car would have been. :bonkers:

bbshriver
06-19-09, 10:56 AM
That may be, but there's a difference between cost over time and cost up front. I paid $18k for my car.. I probably could have gotten "exactly what I want" for $25k ish or a little more for a V, but either of those were out of the question. But if over the course of a few years, I end up having spent $25k on my car it's a whole different matter, because it didn't require me to produce (or borrow) that amount of money all at once. now *if* I found that I could trade my car for the same cost or less maybe I would, but that seems unlikely.

Anyway, my question, regardless of cost effectiveness, is would a newer PCM be "plug and play" or are all the supporting systems and sensors different as well.

next2pool
06-19-09, 01:02 PM
It's certainly not a dumb question, but all of the electronic systems are so integrated that I wouldn't attempt either the PCM nor the trans change. The trans may bolt up but it communicates with so many systems that I'm sure you'd be chasing codes and errors forever.

TimmyC
06-24-09, 01:04 AM
You'll need to locate a pinout of your computer and the 2007 computer. I'm in the same boat as you but I'm not eager enough to try it on my 06. I'm just going to wait for a wrecked V to come along and I'll fix that and sell my car.

K STS
06-28-09, 07:41 PM
copart reseller program: www.clevelandpickapart.com

can you tune the 2006 STS V8 PCM?