: Can't get 78 CDV to start!!--getting desparate

BigPoppaD
06-18-09, 12:45 PM
My car had been parked for about 7 years. Last time it ran was to get it into the garage, it had tranny problems. Has about 135000 original miles, 425 engine

I've replaced the fuel pump (twice, diaphragm was bad)
new carb
Siphoned and replaced the fuel
Blew air into the tank from the pump to make sure the lines are clear
new fuel filter
checked timing
checked spark
new distributor cap and rotor
new spark plugs and wires

I've tried starter fluid and dumping gas into the carb, all with no luck. I turn the key and the engine turns and turns and turns, nada. I've disconnected the fuel line at the carb and it looks dry.

I've had several people that while not professionals, are much better with cars than I and have come away stumped.

From what I understand, the fuel tank shouldn't have any moving parts to replace except the sealed fuel filter

My next plan is to disconnect the fuel line at the pump and see if the fuel is squirting out. I'm not looking forward to dropping the tank, but I really don't know what else to do.

If ANYONE has any more ideas, similar problems with solution, please please please throw them out there. I'm trying really hard to hang on to the few bucks I got left to get the tranny done and don't want to tow it to a shop.

drmenard
06-18-09, 05:08 PM
If you poured gas in the carb and it did not start and stall... I would bet your not getting a spark... check for a spark to rule that out...

carnut
06-20-09, 04:19 PM
Remove the fuel line at the carb, wrap a rag around the line, crank the engine. The rag should be saturated with fuel rather quickly. If not then look for a pin hole in a metal line from the fuel tank. If soaked, then you have a spark issue. Do you have 12 volts to the distributor? The fat wire that plugs into the HEI cap should have 12 volts key on. 7 years could cause stuck rings so not enough compression to fire. Might try a little trans fluid in each spark plug hole sitting over night to free up the rings. Crank it over with no spark plugs then reinstall them. Once running and up to temperature, change the oil.

akimball442
06-21-09, 10:54 PM
If it won't even fire on ether, you definitely have an ignition problem. I had a similar problem and the HEI module in the distributor had failed somehow from sitting. They're not very expensive.

Spark testers are only a couple dollars also. You can use a spark plug, or a screw driver, but getting a real spark tester can be helpful. You can ground it in an area where you can see it while you're cranking the engine. Set it for 20-30KV and make sure you're getting a nice bright blue-white spark.

You could have a poor ground somewhere, a lot can happen from sitting. I could not start my 81CDV when I bought it. It ran fine when stored. The battery cable had rotted right off the starter.

As mentioned before, check that there is 12V to the distributor on the heavy pinkish wire with the key on.

BigPoppaD
07-05-09, 06:24 PM
Had to take a step back and take a break.

I pulled the fuel pump off again, rub marks on the arm's top, so I know it's working. But it was bone dry, nothing dripped from the lines. So I have a problem in the tank or the lines, right?

cadillac_al
07-05-09, 06:50 PM
I would blow in the fuel line to see if I could hear the fuel gurgling in the tank. Then I would suck on it to see if any fuel comes out of it. Have someone record you with a video camera because the second part can be quite comical.

cadillac_al
07-05-09, 06:51 PM
.........or you could use a Mity-Vac to pull fuel through the line.

csbuckn
07-06-09, 10:03 AM
I pulled the fuel pump off again, rub marks on the arm's top, so I know it's working.

If your fuel pump is like most, the arm would go on top of the cam button and you should have rub marks on the bottom. Some fuel pumps are probably different but all the ones I have seen go on top of the cam button. You should be able to smell the flooded gas if you are getting fuel to the carb. Maybe someone here can chime in and tell you if the arm goes on top or bottom. But then again, starter fluid should have given you something. Maybe a coil?

BigPoppaD
07-11-09, 11:55 PM
If your fuel pump is like most, the arm would go on top of the cam button and you should have rub marks on the bottom. Some fuel pumps are probably different but all the ones I have seen go on top of the cam button. You should be able to smell the flooded gas if you are getting fuel to the carb. Maybe someone here can chime in and tell you if the arm goes on top or bottom. But then again, starter fluid should have given you something. Maybe a coil?

I don't think that's right, the pump is sprung or loaded so you would have to push down on it, so the marks would have to be on the top.

I think I can't really work on the starting problem until I figure out why fuel isn't moving.