: First person in world to replace 2.73 rear carrier with a 3.42

K STS
06-18-09, 09:42 AM
Hi all,

I have a 2.73 carrier, and I have all the parts at my shop to do the 3.42 swap. There is only one thing I need: to figure out if there is a power commander out there that can change the rear gears only. I have a 2006 STS, so I believe this can be done from what I've read here. If not a power commander, or something like it, then I think I've read that 2006+ STS can be custom tuned. If that were the case, Id wait till my corsa exhaust and aftermarket air cleaner assembly are installed.

Any advice or suggestions would be great. I drove a 3.42 North* V8, and compared to my 2.73, the acceleration was MUCH better.

Superjim
06-18-09, 09:52 AM
What do you mean ...POWER COMMANDER?

Do you have an STS 4?

If you do, you will have to change BOTH differentials.

K STS
06-18-09, 10:12 AM
A power commander, the device that allows you to change rear end ratios, fuel/air mixture, etc. Plugs into the ECU and allows you to change settings. Also called DiabloSport Predator, or a flash tuner.

Superjim
06-18-09, 11:06 AM
A power commander, the device that allows you to change rear end ratios, fuel/air mixture, etc. Plugs into the ECU and allows you to change settings. Also called DiabloSport Predator, or a flash tuner.

OK...now I understand...I thought that was what you meant, but... :thumbsup:

Have you checked at Diablo Sport website to see if your STS is supported by them?

There are some threads in the Escalade section about Diablo Sport.
I know that EFILIve supports your 2007.
If you need info on tuning it... you may want to contact justin at BlackBearPerformance.com.
I don't know your location...but he travels all over the country doing live, hands on custom tunes.

You drive it...he tunes it while you drive.
That is what I had done to my DTS.

Texas Jim

K STS
06-19-09, 03:14 PM
Diablo Sport offers no models for the STS. I have a 2006. The Escalade uses a modified version of the LS2, which is why they make models for that.

Will EFILive work for a 2006 STS?

Superjim
06-19-09, 08:55 PM
Diablo Sport offers no models for the STS. I have a 2006. The Escalade uses a modified version of the LS2, which is why they make models for that.

Will EFILive work for a 2006 STS?

Do you have the V-8 or V6?
If you have the V6...NO.
If you have the V-8...according to THIS...it is supported...

http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=82

Texas Jim

K STS
06-21-09, 11:25 PM
I have the Northstar V8. The production of my car is early 2006. Do you know if the tune includes provisions for different rear gear ratio?

Superjim
06-22-09, 09:49 PM
Yes...the gear ratio is adjustable in the tune...at least as far as I know.

I DON'T DO THE TUNES...to get accurate answers to your tuning questions... contact one of the tuners who actually DOES the tunes.

Thats what I did, then paid the guy to tune my car. :cloud9:

Jim

K STS
06-22-09, 09:55 PM
Who was your contact again? Do you have an email, or website?

Dougs06sts
06-23-09, 12:07 AM
I have the 3.23 gears on my 06 STS and wish I had the taller gears you already have. With the 5 spd auto, 60 mph is pushing 2K rpm and gas mileage seems to go down dramatically over 65. With a 6 spd, you'll probably be ok, but are you sure you want the push at the low end of the range? Just checking. Let me know if you know someone happy with that gearset and why if it's not too much trouble.

Thx.

Superjim
06-23-09, 06:24 AM
Who was your contact again? Do you have an email, or website?

Contact link at bottom of page.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

Justin is the guy that tuned mine.

Jim

aintmisbehavinn
06-23-09, 07:20 PM
Or take it to anyone that tunes High Performance Corvettes, GTO's, or any LSX motors. Vengenance in Atlanta loves the STS and can make any changes...

Superjim
06-23-09, 08:20 PM
Or take it to anyone that tunes High Performance Corvettes, GTO's, or any LSX motors. Vengenance in Atlanta loves the STS and can make any changes...

^^^^^^ What he said...

Anyone that does performance tuning on GM products can do it.

Texas Jim

TimmyC
06-23-09, 11:56 PM
I've been told that the 2006 STS V8 does not have the E67 PCM so EFI Live won't work. Better call them before spending $800 on something that isn't going to work.

The dealer can probably change the gear ratio in the computer for you.

WillySTS
06-24-09, 10:32 AM

But, they won't...:hmm:

K STS
06-25-09, 07:18 AM
I've been told that the 2006 STS V8 does not have the E67 PCM so EFI Live won't work. Better call them before spending $800 on something that isn't going to work.

Can anyone verify if this is correct or not? I've seen both yes and no by searching the forum.

ewill3rd
06-25-09, 07:49 AM
The dealer cannot do this for you.
We don't have capability to edit things like that.
We could get an updated calibration from GM Techline for certain changes like that but it has to be "supported" meaning if it is an availalbe option they will custom make a calibration and download it to the database for our use. I think they charge $200-$500 for that but not sure.

Superjim
06-25-09, 08:24 AM
Can anyone verify if this is correct or not? I've seen both yes and no by searching the forum.

"YOU" need to verify it...it is your car. :stirpot:

Have you contacted EFILIVE or BLACKBEAR either one?
I have posted BOTH of the links.

Just have your VIN ready and call or e-mail BOTH of them and see what THEY tell you.

I DON'T KNOW...first hand...I have a DTS, "NOT" an STS.
All "I" know is what is posted on EFILIVE's website.
It says "YES."

Texas Jim

WillySTS
06-25-09, 11:22 AM
"YOU" need to verify it...it is your car. :stirpot:

Have you contacted EFILIVE or BLACKBEAR either one?
I have posted BOTH of the links.

Just have your VIN ready and call or e-mail BOTH of them and see what THEY tell you.

I DON'T KNOW...first hand...I have a DTS, "NOT" an STS.
All "I" know is what is posted on EFILIVE's website.
It says "YES."

Texas Jim
I was about to say the same thing :thepan::hitstick::werd::yeah:

K STS
06-28-09, 07:35 PM
Um, I have no problem doing that. However, i am not doing the swap today, so I figured maybe i'd ask to see if anyone on the forum knew before I call these places and waste their time until Im ready for the swap.

K STS
07-27-09, 11:29 AM
Alright im starting to get the project going. Thanks for all your help, i contacted blackbear and efilive.

K STS
07-28-09, 09:01 AM
Heres what Ive found out so far:

The 2006 PCM changed halfway through the year. 05 and early 06 STS V8's had a non-tunable ECM. As in you cannot change ANYTHING with the factory ecm. But late model 06 and all 07-08-09 etc have a tunable ECM. Go figure, I have an early 06. My plan is to repin the harness going to the ECM and install and flash a 07 ECM with my vin. Im not sure if this will work, but I do have plenty of 06 and 07 or 08 ECM's here at work. Im just not sure about the repining process. If i can get this to work, I can install the 3.42 carrier I have here, as well as tune my car for 93 octane and my intake and exhaust.

If anyone has any information or help on this subject, I'd appreciate it if you could share it.

Thanks!

TimmyC
07-28-09, 11:21 AM
I'd just get a pcm from an 06 that had 3.42 gears in it and be done with it. Tuning software is $500-$800 plus the screwing around with repinning.

K STS
07-28-09, 11:27 AM
The PCM from the car that had the 3.42s was also a V6.

K STS
07-28-09, 11:28 AM
The other 06 PCMs are XLR and SRX.

ewill3rd
07-28-09, 04:45 PM
If you swap an ECM in it will still require programming to function.
At least a limited amount, it may only need the theft deterrent routines but unless you reflash it with a modified cal you'll get the same thing you already have when you load the VIN. The VIN goes in as part of the reprogram of the regular calibrations.
Either way it will need "tuned" if you plan on changing the diff gear ratio.
If that diff was stock but not on your car you might be able to sweet talk a dealer into calling Techline and making a new calibration for your VIN.
Techline might do it, but they might charge.

K STS
07-28-09, 06:59 PM
I have connections with MANY cadillac and GM dealers as well as my own TechII. What exactly is techline?

ewill3rd
07-28-09, 07:50 PM
Techline is the group of people that are in charge of our scan tools, their operating software, and the vehicle calibration information.
When we program cars we use an application called TIS2WEB. They keep all the software updated and manage the calibration databases for all the cars.
They have engineers that can modify calibrations for things like 22" wheels on some trucks or changes from US to Canada or vice versa and possibly gear ratios but one of their stipulations is usually that it is a factory option.
I am not sure if they'd go for a diff change like that, but someone could ask.

Again, we can't modify that stuff in house we only download calibrations from the server for the VIN we enter.

K STS
07-28-09, 07:52 PM
Thank you so much ewill3rd. I will contact my dealership we work with tomorrow!

aintmisbehavinn
07-28-09, 08:18 PM
This is a simple tune, it's not rocket science. Of course the stealership won't do it, it a liability issue, they won't even remove the speed limiter with triple Z tires and wheels made in Italy. Find someone that does Forced Induction Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs or GTO's and stop worrying about which tuner is used, it can be hacked....dealers are worthless when it comes to mods, they only have factory government specs and plenty of excuses. It's the difference between windows NT and Windows 7 64 with 8 giggs of ram.

K STS
07-28-09, 08:27 PM
The early 06 PCM cannot be tuned... This is comming from EFILive and Black Bear Performance.

ewill3rd
07-29-09, 07:17 AM
You know sometimes I wish people had their place of employment listed in their profiles so I could issue rude and derogatory blanket statements about everyone in their fields too.
I know there are some crappy shops out there but don't toss me in with those bozos.
It really wears on me.

Maybe there are only 10 of us that aren't crooks, but don't lump us in with the rest.

K STS
07-29-09, 08:21 AM
I agree. I've never had a single problem with any GM dealership or techs since I've owned cadillacs. If anything, they have been nothing but extremely helpful.

BaTu
07-29-09, 10:08 AM
Maybe there are only 10 of us that aren't crooks, but don't lump us in with the rest.

Didn't Chris Rock say something like that? ;)

ewill3rd
07-29-09, 10:44 AM
:histeric:

Maybe he did...