: 96 Eldorado heating up...

AElayyat
07-18-04, 04:33 AM
My pop's 96 Eldo recently under went a heart transplant surgery (engine was changed out at the Cadillac dealer with a brand new engine). Since then he has been having temp. issues. When he is crusing along on the freeway at about 65-75 mph the temp guage stays in the middle, when he hits stop and go traffic the car heats up and gets close to the red. Took it in to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong (fans working etc.) and there are no leaks from the cooling system as I pressure tested the system (as well as the dealer). Any suggestions on what I can check or change??? Any help is always appreciated guys, thanks in advance.

Eldorado_RED
07-18-04, 10:32 AM
Wassup AElayyat, those were the same symptons my car had (97 etc), overheating in stop and go traffic, could find no leaks, no loss in pressure. It turned out to be the head gaskets, check to see if there is any steam coming out the exhaust and check the coolant level, to see if coolant is being shot out while the car is idle (it could do this while driving also). But im sure this isnt the problem, just a worse case scenario since this is a brand new engine, but then again the dealer did f me over before. They tryin to charge me $8000 to put in a new engine, how much your dad pay? Hopes this helps

Sam

AElayyat
07-18-04, 08:15 PM
Yeah that story sounds a little familar Eldo Red. The bill came out to be a little over $8000 but my dad paid around $3500 and the extended warrenty covered the rest. And I'll look carefully and see what the hell is happening. So what did you end up doing with your Eldo, I remember seening your post a while back.

Eldorado_RED
07-18-04, 09:01 PM
I havent done anything yet, its still sittin in the driveway since i just back in the country for a week. But now im at a stand still as oppose to what i want to do. Mechanics are saying put another engine, witout even attempting to look at the engine thats in there already. Im not going with the dealership because they changed the heads 2 years ago, and i got the same problem again, plus i dont have no warranty on it. So i gotta go with one of these around the way mechanics

Sam

AElayyat
07-19-04, 04:40 AM
That sucks, and yeah I know about those dealer costs and smaller shops seem to know close to nothing about Cadillacs let alone the Nothrstars. If you are a DIYer I would replace the head gaskets if thats all the car needs. Good luck with that Eldo man.