: Might buy this Brougham

MaineWater
06-17-09, 10:27 AM
I was driving down the road when I saw this:

I just pulled over to look when I saw the guy who was selling it. He said he had to get to work, I just ask him what he was asking and I almost died when he said $700. Most of it looks mint except for one piece of chrome trim on the bottom and the rear bumper on the bottom. He says it runs great. What should I check for when maybe driving it it or starting it up. 700 just for parts is good.

csbuckn
06-17-09, 10:39 AM
looks to be late 80s so the tranny is the only thing I would look into. But even at seven hundred...

robb257731
06-17-09, 10:46 AM
I'm not a fan of the interior....too red.

jayoldschool
06-17-09, 10:13 PM
Asking 700 means offer 350. Trust me. Bring a pocket full of bills. You will not pay more than 500.

sven914
06-17-09, 11:08 PM
Before you start the car, check all of the fluids. Make sure the radiator expansion tank is at the ADD line (if the engine is COLD). Pull the oil dipstick and smell to oil to see if it's burnt or smells like gasoline. Pull the transmission dipstick and check the color, it should be a dirty red. Do the same thing to the master cylinder and power steering pump (DO NOT touch the master cylinder AFTER the power steering pump). Then get on the ground and check the entire chassis and exhaust system. Get a flashlight and look for oil and rust on the undercarriage. Go to the back an look at the rear shocks and see if they're leaking.

Check the 8th digit of the VIN number, if it is a Y then the engine is an Oldsmobile 307, and if it is an 8, then the engine is an HT4100. The 307 should accelerate slowly but evenly through the gears from a dead stop. The 4100 should accelerate quickly from a dead stop, but get "bogged down" at second gear and after. There will be noticeable lack of power and that is normal with the 4100. You should not hear the engine while in the car, if the exhaust system is good.

Test the ac and make sure it blows cold. With the ac on and blowing through the face vents, nail the throttle for a minute and make sure the air flow doesn't change. If the air flow comes through the floor vents, then the engine has vacuum problems. If the ac blows hot, then there may be problem with the engine cooling system.

Put the climate head on ECON and let is blow for a minute with the engine running and smell the air through the vent to make sure their is no foul burning odor or the smell of gasoline. If you smell something burning, then there may be oil residue on the engine, and if you can smell gasoline, the engine is running rich. If it smells like antifreeze, then there is obviously a coolant leak.

Make sure the Cruise Control works properly. If it malfunctions, the problem could be electrical or vacuum related.

Make sure all of the interior electronics work. The antenna mast should come out of the fender when the radio is turned on and should automatically return when the radio is turned off. Make sure the passenger seat works and the trunk switch in the glove box works the trunk lid. Even set off the alarm. Also find the key to the wire hubcaps and see there is an owner's manual.

Finally, check the trunk carpet for blood stains. There is no way that something that nice is going for that cheap, unless its got a body on it.

smacktime
06-17-09, 11:14 PM
Hell yeah I would buy it, just as long as you actually get the title. Test drive it first for like 50 miles.

Aron9000
06-18-09, 03:30 AM
I'm not a fan of the interior....too red.

Oh come on, that's the classic whore house red:D

I'd expect some mechanical/electrical issues for $700. Also check the underside of the trunk lid for rust, they tend to rot along that bottom edge near the bumper and lisence plate frame. Check the frame/floors for rot as well.

codewize
06-18-09, 09:24 AM
Look at my thread 'pricing and value opinion' (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/172412-pricing-value-opinion.html)

If the car is clean it's well worth the $700 and then some.

MaineWater
06-18-09, 03:39 PM
I test drove it today, it is not bad. The leather is still good, but the headliner is saggy. THe climate control does not light up and it just keeps blowing hot air. The trunk does not "pull down". The frame is solid, just one rust spot and the rear bumper is rotted, but taped. Other than that it starts and drives great and I check the oil and smelled the fluids and they were good. I tried Jay's idea and offered 500 to the wife and she says 800, but the husband said 700, so it was either 700 that day or "someone else" was getting it for 800 tomm. I said ok 500 if no one picks it up. "No im not selling it for 5, have a good day" door in my face. It has 90k. Should I still consider it or call it quits. The roof and paint are great and after reading the opion on price thread. How often do you find a Brougham that runs decent for 700? Especially where these cars are rare wher I live. I just want a everyday beater during the winter. I dont want to put my Coupe through the winter, but I love that big RWD style.

sven914
06-18-09, 04:55 PM
I would say it's worth the $700. The fact that climate head doesn't even light means that there is an electrical problem in the dash. The trunk not pulling down means that there is an electrical problem in the trunk. The car would be good for a winter driver, a summer project, and a fall show car. I would just have a dealership go through the car and give you an estimate and itemized list of everything that car needs. You can then make the decision on whether it would be worth the repairs or if when you done with it your just going to sell it for a $300 profit (or more).

codewize
06-18-09, 06:00 PM
It's tough to deal with someone like that. All you did was make a reasonable offer based on the asking price, then the asking price went up.

Sounds to me like there's a lack of communication on their part.

If you really want the car, despite the issues, I would go back or call and say hey, I spoke to your husband and he told me $700. After getting some opinions from a few Cadillac guys I felt that it was in line to offer you $500. Then you told me $800, whats going on?

Just explain in the nicest way that they're the ones that are confused and making the deal difficult. Be prepared to pay the $700 if you want to but I would reapproach them and see if you can get off to a better start. maybe $600 or $650 would make everyone happy?

I still think that car is worth the $700.

jayoldschool
06-18-09, 06:32 PM
If you want the car...

You need to talk to the husband. WITHOUT the wife around. Point out that it is going to cost you $$ to fix the climate control. Then, make that offer again. Show him the bills you brought with you, and explain that is all you can afford. Then, don't be afraid to walk away.

EndlessRyd
06-19-09, 12:49 PM
I know that the climate control and A/C system is about $1400 dealer installed. Mine came with a lifetime guarantee against failure.

brougham
06-19-09, 02:57 PM
If you like it just pay the $700 he said he wanted for it and get it. From the pictures that looks like a good price for it.

MaineWater
06-19-09, 04:39 PM
I have decided to buy it because these cars are easy to work on, it has reliable engine, and I have all the parts i will ever need since 1990CaddyBrougham or Anthony from the forums lives in the next town from me and he has like 6 cars on hand.

MaineWater
06-19-09, 06:09 PM
Lady tells me to come back at 6 pm with a deal of 700 i come back it its sold. :mad:

sven914
06-19-09, 06:31 PM
I would have pissed in the gas tank.

DopeStar 156
06-19-09, 07:24 PM
I had a similar deal to this go down a couple years ago with a 79 Coupe except the owner was my friend's dad and a wackjob alcoholic and when he actually answered his door or his phone the price varied depending on his alcohol level. Me and one of his personalities decided on $200 and he stopped answering the door after that. I went and rubbed...... something of mine.... all over his driver's door handle and let the air out of his tires and left, his kid actually helped me drain the tires, hahaha.....

pompste
06-19-09, 09:16 PM
Lady tells me to come back at 6 pm with a deal of 700 i come back it its sold. :mad:

I guess it was not meant to be yours------who knows,you may have had to put a lot of $$$ into it down the road.
If you ever find a deal like that again---perhaps jump on it sooner.

MaineWater
06-19-09, 10:15 PM
Yea these people were weird. They run a Palm reading ritual place right from their home with a sign out front. If the lady was really a psychic why didn't she she just say I see no Cadillac in your future. Then making me go to the bank for the money to buy the car. They also come into the dollar store that I work at on a good basis.