: Purchasing out of state STS. Has 12mi left on warranty. Insight appreciated.

BJD210
06-17-09, 12:58 AM
I pre-apologize for being a newb and posting one of the most repeated questions but......

I am purchasing a 05' STS V8 1SE (1G6DC67A450121098) from Florida and having it shipped to me in Minnesota. The dealership that I am purchasing it from has agreed to get it to their local Cadillac dealer for an assessment before it gets picked up. I guess my question is what common issues/potential issues I should make sure to get checked out at Cadillac before the factory warranty expires. I have spent a good amount of time reading the forums but there is a lot of info here and it has become a lttle difficult to filter after a while. I would assume that I should make sure that all recalls and software updates are done before it is shipped but any other ideas would be very helpful.

I am just a little nervous considering the I am getting the car for $13800 (+shipping, Tax, and all the other BS) and as my Grandfather always says "If it is too good to be true, it isn't". AutoCheck and Carfax checks out and the dealership ran the car through their own ASE Master Mechanic but I trust all that for as far as I can physically push the car.

I would value any input. Thanks CadillacOwners!

c5 rv
06-17-09, 09:42 AM
If I couldn't go see and drive the car before buying it, I would pass. Especially since it isn't a CPO unit. You're nervous for a reason - buying that car is likely to be a bad decision.

I know a couple folks who buy southern cars as a hobby. They arrange go look at a number of cars, buy a low-cost airline ticket, and fly down for a long weekend. If they don't like any of the cars they went to look at, they fly back home. If they find a good car that passes inspection, they drive it home. The search is part of the adventure.

jamesbalzer
06-17-09, 10:17 AM
I second that. Carfax isn't perfect sometimes taking two years to report an issue. You can fly down and inspect for a lot less than some of the issues may cost you. Remember all of the issues in the last couple of years with Floods and things. I bought mine CPO from a dealer across the country with only 14K miles on it only to discover the entire right side had been painted when it got here (sub-par, at that.) Cadillac Customer Service and the Dealer both have told me to pound sand even though there is no dispute from either that it HAS been painted. Not their problem. I have even since gotten a hold of the repair bill from the non-dealer shop that did the work! GO LOOK OR BUY CLOSER TO HOME.

Dadollac1
06-17-09, 10:23 AM
If you purchase this car I stress 3 things:
1 buy an extended warranty
2 buy an extended warranty and
3 buy an extended warranty
You won't be sorry.

BJD210
06-17-09, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the input. I have been flirting with the idea of flying down there to check the car out and deliver payment. I will most likely do that now.

I have never purchased a vehicle from a dealership before. A few years back while I was in college I spent some time flipping cars and I always purchased from private parties, salvage auctions or through a dealer at dealer auctions. Granted, I spent some time wrenching on a few of them but it paid my bills in the end. Basically what I am saying is that I have a high risk tolerance in order to pay a lower price. Or at least that’s what I tell myself to ignore my nervousness.

When it comes to extended warranties, should I look to go through the dealership, private company or does Cadillac offer anything? I suppose I can answer that myself by searching the forums.

Thanks again.

corvette00
06-17-09, 02:05 PM
Since they are going to ship to the local Cadillac dealer, why not strike a deal with them? Have the local dealer purchase the vehicle and certify it. The dealer can sell you the vehicle for the agreed upon purchase price plus $500 and the cost to certify.

EChas3
06-17-09, 03:02 PM
I have heard of car inspectors that make a living inspecting E-Bay & traditional cars at auction. I like corvette00's idea but in the current climate it may be hard to find a willing dealer.

Even if the car is a spotless example of its trim level, if you have never driven the exact equivilent, you may not be getting what you expect. My wife's 2007 has a softer, less precise ride than typlical because it was a Hertz rental. My 2006 AWD with MRC rides firm even in 'Touring' mode.

You could fly standby & get your money's worth.

BJD210
06-18-09, 08:38 PM
I have heard of car inspectors that make a living inspecting E-Bay & traditional cars at auction. I like corvette00's idea but in the current climate it may be hard to find a willing dealer.

Even if the car is a spotless example of its trim level, if you have never driven the exact equivilent, you may not be getting what you expect. My wife's 2007 has a softer, less precise ride than typlical because it was a Hertz rental. My 2006 AWD with MRC rides firm even in 'Touring' mode.

You could fly standby & get your money's worth.

I have decided that I am going to fly down there early next week. Supposedly The dealership I am purchasing from has a very good relationship with the local Cadillac dealer so I may try corvette00's idea.

Thanks

amgqmp1
06-29-09, 08:42 PM
If you purchase this car I stress 3 things:
1 buy an extended warranty
2 buy an extended warranty and
3 buy an extended warranty
You won't be sorry.

So, I have an '05 STS that I just learned today has a warranty. How do you feel about the Major Guard plan from GM? I can apparently still purchase it if I do so within the next 1-2 weeks...(after that I'm within 30 days of end of the factory warranty I didn't realize I had).

The question I'm stuck on is...do you think the investment will demonstrate an ROI? In my situation, I have a four year old car with 17,450 miles on it. I just had the door handle electronics replaced (warranty), the ECM upgrade performed (recall), and now that I know I'm under factory warranty until August...I'm going to work towards getting every little thing from the peeling start button to the noisy air recirc. door fixed. I drive 4,000-6,000 miles/year, and the car spends half the time in a garage.

I know you're a big proponent of the extended warranty, and having just had a door handle replaced @ 17,450 miles does make me concerned enough to consider the $2K investment...but, only if it's really going to come close to paying for itself.

Thoughts? :)

Dadollac1
06-29-09, 09:26 PM
believe you me it will pay for itself.check out this mess in the one year that I have owned my 05 STS4.
A new start switch, a new power steering rack, a new ashtray, a new wood surround around the nav/radio unit a new seat belt pre-tensioner and both headlight composites replaced. Now you tell me if you need it because that is approx $3600 worth of repairs for a car that had less than 50k miles.:cookoo:

EChas3
07-02-09, 06:16 PM
So, I have an '05 STS that I just learned today has a warranty. How do you feel about the Major Guard plan from GM? I can apparently still purchase it if I do so within the next 1-2 weeks...(after that I'm within 30 days of end of the factory warranty I didn't realize I had).

The question I'm stuck on is...do you think the investment will demonstrate an ROI? In my situation, I have a four year old car with 17,450 miles on it. I just had the door handle electronics replaced (warranty), the ECM upgrade performed (recall), and now that I know I'm under factory warranty until August...I'm going to work towards getting every little thing from the peeling start button to the noisy air recirc. door fixed. I drive 4,000-6,000 miles/year, and the car spends half the time in a garage.

I know you're a big proponent of the extended warranty, and having just had a door handle replaced @ 17,450 miles does make me concerned enough to consider the $2K investment...but, only if it's really going to come close to paying for itself.

Thoughts? :)

You must have a nice 'In-Service' date! My 2006's OEM warranty expires this Summer! (In-Service 9/21/05 @ 34 miles) The CPO pushes that to 2011 & 100,000 but I drive it twice as much as you. I bought an extra couple of years from Zurich for about $1K. I haven't studied the GM-MG plan.

I'd say $2K for warranty protection through 2011 is fair. Most dealers swap parts until the problem is fixed. One problem could easily cost $2K. You might surf around or ask one of the affilated dealers what plans are available for low use owners like yourself. You might be surprised at what's available (Low deductable, 100,000 miles but 72-96 month?)

Low usage of the car is no guarantee that you won't have trouble but vendors may assume people won't keep their car or won't have major trouble. Make sure any plan is written to specify exclusions and not inclusions.

Good Luck!:yup:

BJD210
11-02-09, 06:51 PM
Long story short, the car has worked out great. It is much better than I had expected for the price.

Best news is, I just found out that it was sold as a CPO in 2006 and the warranty sticks with the car. I have little over 2 years or 47kmi left on it! I had no clue it was a CPO and evidentially the dealership I bought it from didn't either. I feel like I won the lottery!

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I had vent my excitement.

Oh, and thanks to GMCentral.com for the VIN check that brought this to my attention. Without it I would have spent many stubborn hours/days fixing any future problems with the car before ever thinking about taking it to the dealer.

c5 rv
11-02-09, 08:01 PM
Good to hear! Don't feel sorry about "dragging up an old thread." We love to hear how these things turn out.