: Turned to the darkside and bought imports........

Destroyer
06-17-09, 12:20 AM
I've been looking for an economic car for awhile and then stopped when gas prices went down. Now that gas is $2.65 or so I finally did it. I drive an '05 RAM Daytona extended cab and my wife has a Lincoln Mark VIII plus I just sold my '00 Ranger V6. I drive ALOT, wife not so much but I figured it was finally time for some economic cars. Got some sweet deals too. Bought an '05 Suzuki Forenza station wagon for myself ($3k) and an '04 Mitsubishi Lancer for my wife ($3k). Both cars came out of estates. The Suzuki has only 16k miles and the Lancer has 47k. Both in real nice shape save for a few dents and scrapes (old people do that alot). I'm driving the Forenza now and pick the Lancer up on Thursday. I have to say the Forenza station wagon is not a bad little car. Fairly comfortable, very decent stereo and all power options plus the price was damn good!. The Lancer looks to be almost the same condition except for higher miles and a few dings. Both dead old people cars so I know they were not abused. Will keep the RAM but am debating selling the Mark VIII. I'll see if the wife likes the Lancer first. It's funny but I feel like less of a MAN driving the little Suzuki but at the same time kinda like driving the small car, I don't know exactly what is happening to me.......... Pics coming (try not to laugh):D

Playdrv4me
06-17-09, 12:42 AM
So you might FINALLY decide to sell me that Mark?... :sneaky:

ted tcb
06-17-09, 11:09 AM
So, how does one go about finding estate cars, and for such a low amount??
Wouldn't retail on those two cars be about double what you paid?

Congrats ... I did the same thing last summer when gas went up to $1.40 per litre in Canada.
Sold my LS400 and grabbed a Mazda3.
Loved the fuel economy, hated the small tinny feeling/high noise level on the highway.
Eventually, made my way back into a LS430.
I hope it works out better for you, Destroyer.

Playdrv4me
06-17-09, 01:08 PM

Congrats ... I did the same thing last summer when gas went up to $1.40 per litre in Canada.
Loved the fuel economy, hated the small tinny feeling/high noise level on the highway.
I hope it works out better for you, Destroyer.

Destroyer has a dealer's license.

The Tony Show
06-17-09, 07:05 PM
Dibs on those wheels if you sell the Mark- seriously. I've got a set of perfect Chrome Octostars, no peeling around the center caps, with brand new rubber on them. Trade + cash.

Playdrv4me
06-17-09, 08:24 PM
Dibs on those wheels if you sell the Mark- seriously. I've got a set of perfect Chrome Octostars, no peeling around the center caps, with brand new rubber on them. Trade + cash.

HEY! Leave my wheels alone! :thepan: :p

Actually the Octastars are REALLY nice.

96Fleetwood
06-17-09, 08:45 PM
Hmmm... how many miles are on the Mark now ;) ?

Destroyer
06-17-09, 09:50 PM

I hope it works out better for you, Destroyer.I find them on Craigslist. The Lancer I found at an estate I bought out. I went for the home contents, ended up buying the car and the actual home too (gonna be a rental). It's Florida, some old fart is always dying followed by his/her family cashing in on the estate. Don't hope it works out better for me, this is a choice. I COULD drive anything I want whenever I want, I actually get thrills from buying stuff cheap and saving money, in this case fuel. I also only pay cash for my automotive purchases so financing a new Lexus is out of the question as is paying for one cash. The older I get the less spending big money for a car makes sense to me. Had my windows tinted yesterday on the Forenza. The kid who tinted my windows pulled up in a new(er) Lexus IS300 (or IS350? New style anyway). I asked how he liked the Lexus, he said he loved it but the payments are getting to him and he might have to give it up. This is a problem I will never have. Do you know how many rich people I know driving shit boxes and how many poor(ish) posers I know that drive high end cars so they can look rich? A lot.

Playdrv4me
06-17-09, 10:02 PM
I find them on Craigslist. The Lancer I found at an estate I bought out. I went for the home contents, ended up buying the car and the actual home too (gonna be a rental). It's Florida, some old fart is always dying followed by his/her family cashing in on the estate. Don't hope it works out better for me, this is a choice. I COULD drive anything I want whenever I want, I actually get thrills from buying stuff cheap and saving money, in this case fuel. I also only pay cash for my automotive purchases so financing a new Lexus is out of the question as is paying for one cash. The older I get the less spending big money for a car makes sense to me. Had my windows tinted yesterday on the Forenza. The kid who tinted my windows pulled up in a new(er) Lexus IS300 (or IS350? New style anyway). I asked how he liked the Lexus, he said he loved it but the payments are getting to him and he might have to give it up. This is a problem I will never have. Do you know how many rich people I know driving shit boxes and how many poor(ish) posers I know that drive high end cars so they can look rich? A lot.

Soooo... about that Mark... :lildevil:

V-Eight
06-17-09, 10:26 PM
Do you know how many rich people I know driving shit boxes and how many poor(ish) posers I know that drive high end cars so they can look rich? A lot.

So true.

Playdrv4me
06-17-09, 11:07 PM
So true.

I believe the name for this phenomenon is "30k Millionaire".

ted tcb
06-17-09, 11:13 PM
Still waiting for those pictures.
I think I'm going to be envious at what $3k buys you at a fleet sale in Florida.
Geesh, up here, $3k got me a tired, 10 year old Maxima GLE for my daughter.

The Tony Show
06-17-09, 11:25 PM
Soooo... about that Mark... :lildevil:

Get away from mah wheels!!! :killer:

Destroyer
06-17-09, 11:34 PM
Soooo... about that Mark... :lildevil:Wife hasn't yet seen the Lancer, gonna get it tomorrow. She is familiar with the body style and doesn't like it. I'm getting it anyway cause it's a package deal with the house. I will convince her to take it just cause A. it has 4 doors and B. the gas mileage.

The Mark needs 2 front tires and a camber kit ($15-$25). Right now it has the stock wheels back on it (original tires). Evidently the camber is off due to the lowered suspension. Wore the 2 front tires out pretty bad on the inside. Sucks because I didn't even know there was a problem till the tires were shot.

The Tony Show
06-17-09, 11:37 PM
. Right now it has the stock wheels back on it (original tires).

http://www.haryana-online.com/images/Birds/Szabolcs/Red-headed_vulture.jpg

Playdrv4me
06-17-09, 11:42 PM
Wife hasn't yet seen the Lancer, gonna get it tomorrow. She is familiar with the body style and doesn't like it. I'm getting it anyway cause it's a package deal with the house. I will convince her to take it just cause A. it has 4 doors and B. the gas mileage.

The Mark needs 2 front tires and a camber kit ($15-$25). Right now it has the stock wheels back on it (original tires). Evidently the camber is off due to the lowered suspension. Wore the 2 front tires out pretty bad on the inside. Sucks because I didn't even know there was a problem till the tires were shot.

The wheels are already off it?... Tony is foaming at the mouth...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-17-09, 11:46 PM
I believe the name for this phenomenon is "30k Millionaire".

Haha. I'm a 13k millionaire. However, the only things I spend money on right now is tuition and cars. You're only young once.

Playdrv4me
06-17-09, 11:48 PM
Haha. I'm a 13k millionaire. However, the only things I spend money on right now is tuition and cars. You're only young once.

Your tuition is an investment!

Destroyer
06-17-09, 11:55 PM
Still waiting for those pictures.
I think I'm going to be envious at what $3k buys you at a fleet sale in Florida.
Geesh, up here, $3k got me a tired, 10 year old Maxima GLE for my daughter.Don't get too jelous, lol, it is just a Suzuki. Ain't gonna go snap some pics at the local beach or park for this one, just snapped a few in the garage 2 minutes ago for ya. It's a got a few bruises on the outside from old person usage, otherwise mint. The floormats came out of my Ranger and they are NASTY dirty.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Parts/P6170121.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Parts/P6170122.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Parts/P6170123.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Parts/P6170124.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Parts/P6170125.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Parts/P6170126.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Parts/P6170127.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Parts/P6170128.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Parts/P6170129.jpg

ted tcb
06-18-09, 12:52 AM
The mileage really sinks in with that odometer shot ... yikes, only 16k for $3k.

$3k would pretty much amount to the sales tax on a new one up here!
Hell, you bought the Suzuki for less than the cost of repairing a Northstar headgasket.

The most fun I've ever had purchasing a car was getting my neighbour's 1983 Marquis for $800. Any fool can buy a new car for $25k. Now, try to find a good used car for chump change, there's the challenge.

Well done ... hurry up and sell the Mk to Ian, so we can see Jesda crashing it by the fall (kidding, of course, but hasn't Ian been hinting at the Mk for at least a year, now?).

Destroyer
06-18-09, 01:15 AM
The mileage really sinks in with that odometer shot ... yikes, only 16k for $3k.
$3k would pretty much amount to the sales tax on a new one up here!
Hell, you bought the Suzuki for less than the cost of repairing a Northstar headgasket.Less than the repair of a N* headgasket is right. It's one of the reasons I hate N* cars. 2.5 years ago I bought my wife's '98 Mark VIII w/16k (how weird is that? And it's white/grey) for $5k. That was another dead person's car. Finding these deals is fun. I apply this to any purchase from a measley (insert something insignificant) to an expensive piece of (whatever). I like to "steal" stuff.

[/QUOTE]

Jesda
06-18-09, 01:20 AM
Well done ... hurry up and sell the Mk to Ian, so we can see Jesda crashing it by the fall (kidding, of course, but hasn't Ian been hinting at the Mk for at least a year, now?).

Ian's the one who crashed my Cadillac. :( Now he wants to drive the other one!

Playdrv4me
06-18-09, 01:25 AM
Ian's the one who crashed my Cadillac. :( Now he wants to drive the other one!

I hear the world's smallest violin...

ga_etc
06-18-09, 03:18 AM
I hear the world's smallest violin...

LOL! I love how you guys pick on one another. Sounds just like me and my friends. I'm still trying to learn who's who by name. I wish I had found this forum sooner than I did. I've learned a lot and have gotten a lot of enjoyment from reading some of the comments.

The Forenza is still a good looking little car Destroyer. It and the Lancer will give you and your wife something to run around town in to save gas and keep you from having to worry about someone messing up the Ram or the Lincoln. Since there is already a few old people marks on the car you don't have to be paranoid about someone giving it another one. I'm protective of my ETC and it's 10 years old. I can't imagine how bad I would be with something new.

Destroyer
06-20-09, 03:00 AM
hurry up and sell the Mk to Ian, so we can see Jesda crashing it by the fall Can't wait for that. :D

Destroyer
06-20-09, 03:09 AM
Soooo... about that Mark... :lildevil:Don't have the Lancer yet. Some complication with the probate. No biggie, should be next week. Mark needs a camber kit due to the lowered suspension. Will come with both sets of wheels but the 18" wheels need 2 new front tires. The camber was off and wore out the front tires prematurely. The original tires/wheels that came with the car are on it now. If you want it and have $5k I will hopefully be able to sell it next week if I get the Lancer. It's a steal Ian. I just put over $450 in brand new ignition coils plus a new battery and the car only has 38k original miles. I was supposed to buy the Lancer and the estate house Thursday but now I'm told they cannot be sold till next week so I have to wait. Wife already agreed to take the Lancer so no problem there.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Mark%20VIII/DSC05515.jpg

Aron9000
06-20-09, 03:15 AM
That is a steal at 5k, and you replaced the air suspension with convetional coilovers, right?

Destroyer
06-20-09, 03:37 AM
That is a steal at 5k, and you replaced the air suspension with convetional coilovers, right?
Replaced the air suspension and replaced the factory HID bulbs with an aftermarket kit that accepts more common, cheaper and more powerful HID bulbs.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-20-09, 08:30 AM
Don't take it personal Nick, but those are the two most boring and bland cars I could ever see you owning, but at least you bought them for a practical reason, and got a steal on both of them.

Replaced the air suspension and replaced the factory HID bulbs with an aftermarket kit that accepts more common, cheaper and more powerful HID bulbs.

Cool, so you've basically fixed both of the major problems on late model Mark VIII's. :thumbsup:

Playdrv4me
06-20-09, 02:38 PM
PM'ed you Destroyer

The Tony Show
06-20-09, 02:50 PM
Will come with both sets of wheels....

http://www.lovehkfilm.com/blog/roninonempty/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/no-darth_vader.jpg

ted tcb
06-20-09, 09:32 PM
cool, so you've basically fixed both of the major problems on late model mark viii's. :thumbsup:

blend door!!!

Destroyer
06-20-09, 11:24 PM
Don't take it personal Nick, but those are the two most boring and bland cars I could ever see you owning, but at least you bought them for a practical reason, and got a steal on both of them.
You will get no argument for me. They are boring, bland and appliance-like. I just don't mind though. I work so much that it just doesn't matter what I drive anymore. Reliability and economy are more important to me at this point in time than performance or looks. Besides, my man card is still in tact as I'm keeping the RAM, lol. :yup:

BTW: I had the windows tinted dark enough so as not to be seen in the Suzuki.

The Tony Show
06-21-09, 01:35 AM
Well I detailed the Mark tonight, and you know what? Those Octostars aren't too shabby. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/Firebomba/DSC01553small.jpg

Playdrv4me
06-21-09, 01:47 AM
-If- I end up being able to get the Mark, we can talk about the wheels Tony.

And from the WTF file... I didn't know you had a Mark! VERY nice.

The Tony Show
06-21-09, 02:34 AM
Thanks! It only has 78,000 miles on it- not too shabby for a 12 year old car. :D

I was looking for a daily driver I could pay cash for and not worry about every little nick or chip it picked up. This one fell in my lap, and I've actually grown quite fond of it these last six months.

Playdrv4me
06-21-09, 02:37 AM
Thanks! It only has 78,000 miles on it- not too shabby for a 12 year old car. :D

I was looking for a daily driver I could pay cash for and not worry about every little nick or chip it picked up. This one fell in my lap, and I've actually grown quite fond of it these last six months.

I'm sure you'll agree with me on this... Marks are one of those cars (like Fleetwoods) that when you have a really fine example like that, it just attracts compliments and onlookers like flies!

The Tony Show
06-21-09, 02:50 AM
Yeah, it's funny- I got a "nice car" from a stranger the other day, and I haven't got one of those since I sold the V.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-21-09, 09:23 AM
Check out this Mark VIII. :bigroll:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Back%20To%20The%20Fifties%202009/IMG_4260.jpg
heh heh heh heh heh.....

96Fleetwood
06-21-09, 02:20 PM
$5K is a steal, maybe I should sell the Marauder and daily Nick's Mark!

Go get it Ian!!! :thumbsup:

The Tony Show
06-21-09, 02:33 PM
Is that a "Mark-camino"? :ack:

Destroyer
06-21-09, 06:47 PM
Well I detailed the Mark tonight, and you know what? Those Octostars aren't too shabby. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/Firebomba/DSC01553small.jpg
Very nice looking Mark. Chrome Octostars are the most sought after stock Mark VIII wheel. Sweet car Tony!

Destroyer
06-21-09, 06:48 PM
Check out this Mark VIII. :bigroll:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Back%20To%20The%20Fifties%202009/IMG_4260.jpg
heh heh heh heh heh.....I wouldn't pay much for it but I'd drive it. Why not?:thumbsup:

Aron9000
06-22-09, 02:07 AM
Is that a "Mark-camino"? :ack:

Come on now, its a Marchero, it ain't no chevy.

ga_etc
06-22-09, 03:12 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-Lincoln-Mak8_W0QQitemZ160343674966QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Ca rs_Trucks?hash=item25553a5056&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Looks like it would make a really decent project fixer upper. Anyone want to run to VA?

The Tony Show
06-22-09, 09:50 AM
That guy get major honesty points. :lol:

ga_etc
06-22-09, 11:51 PM
I know, right? I thought it was interesting.