: OnStar/XM Combo Antenna

Cal
07-18-04, 12:41 AM
Any idea on how much this will cost to buy and install. I need one BADLY since without the rear phone antenna my reception to OnStar is basically nil. I do live in a ratty service area, but I think the tints might mess it up too.

I need a combo badly, I'd rather have the dealer do it, just wondering what they will try to rape me for. If it's too awful I am sure I have people who can do it.

miscreant
07-18-04, 12:56 AM
Any idea on how much this will cost to buy and install. I need one BADLY since without the rear phone antenna my reception to OnStar is basically nil. I do live in a ratty service area, but I think the tints might mess it up too.

I need a combo badly, I'd rather have the dealer do it, just wondering what they will try to rape me for. If it's too awful I am sure I have people who can do it.

I think my parts department told me "my cost" was something like $190. NOT cheap.

sefa01
07-18-04, 10:56 AM
Cal, with what you've spent on this car already, what's another $190???

ctsvett
07-18-04, 05:18 PM
Ok.. heres the problem with the combination antenna for the 04 which is what has been holding me up from the purchase and install.

The 05 has the digital onstar box (which requires a smaller antenna). the 04 still uses analog and requires the large arial antenna. The part itself is cheap ($88 bucks from parts express) and the wiring does not look hard to do (there is a connector in the right rear of the trunk). However, the problem is I am unsure if the 04 analog cell service will work with the smaller combined antenna or provide the same service. So, the next logical question is can we upgrade the onstar box? The 04 is supposed to be "digital ready" but I think it still requires additional hardware. Bottom line: I dont know, but that sounds a bit more expensive than the just the combined antenna.

I am waiting to tint until I can find a solution to get rid of that antenna.

Anyone have any other ideas or know anyone at onstar on the inside?

Reed
http;//www.cadillacfaq.com

Cal
07-18-04, 05:33 PM
I think my parts department told me "my cost" was something like $190. NOT cheap.

$190 for the piece or for the install? Can you possibly find out about whether an 05 antenna will work on a 04 car, as Reed was concerned with in terms of signals, etc.

Yeah I could give a crap if it's $190 + $200 installed, but if it's in the $5-700 range to put a freakin antenna on there I think I would look elsewhere.

For me the reception + look is well worth a few hundred bucks.

benjet
07-19-04, 09:49 AM
Analog and digital signals RARELY use the same transmission frequencies, it should NOT be assumed they are using the same (meaning incompatible antennas). So Reed's concerns are valid.

I have not seen any info on which freq's the DIGITAL OnStar uses.

-Ben