: ATTENTION: free onstar

Dadollac1
06-16-09, 11:11 AM
GM is offering a 3 month free trial of onstar. I know because today I received mines free but only if you have digital service. Here is the link http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/renewals/howto_activate.jsp?cmp=OLA_MSNAUTO_RMKT

R1chard
06-16-09, 01:24 PM
Thanks! :D

Dadollac1
06-16-09, 07:53 PM
Good luck everyone, it also includes 30 minutes of handsfree calling. Wow what a deal.:cloud9:

R1chard
06-17-09, 03:30 AM
Good luck everyone, it also includes 30 minutes of handsfree calling. Wow what a deal.:cloud9:

I subscribed with the trial, for an additional $15.99 they will give you 100 more minutes so 130 minutes for that price. Plus whatever you don't use during the trial gives you a refund. Can't beat that ;-)

EChas3
06-17-09, 11:20 AM
I think they're desperate for subscribers. The service is priced high for what it provides. As a cellular phone, the price is outrageous and almost everyone has another one anyway. Turn-by-turn is nice but most of the time Onstar is idle.

On the other hand as insurance, it may be welll worth the peace of mind if you have someone in your life that you want to have an extra measure of security. (I had a friend whose girlfriend locked herself out of the car with the engine running about once a week.)

And if you loan your car, you could be assured of a call when it hits a tree!

Dadollac1
06-17-09, 12:39 PM
Now only if XM radio would give away free service ,that would be nice!

R1chard
06-17-09, 01:06 PM
XM has a 90 day (I think, maybe it's 60) trial. Call them and ask for it. I haven't yet myself since I'm going on vacation on later date therefor want it for it.

;)

jimmbo
06-18-09, 12:09 AM
I know in Canada you get a 90 day trial of XM but it is way over priced other wise.

Wrangler
06-18-09, 03:16 AM
Thanks
I have bluetooth now so I'm hands free on my cell now but will be intersting to check out onstar!

djnash
06-18-09, 12:51 PM
xm does have a free trial for 3 months.( gm.xmradio.com) call the toll free number and request 3 month trial. this is good if you purchase a new or used cadillac. i called xm directly and they only offered me 1 month then as i was reading the xm paperwork i noticed the web site and that is where i found the information for the 3 month offer. just make sure that you have the xm serial number, they will ask for it.:D

ROF08STS
06-19-09, 09:27 AM
I tried to get the "3 months on us" last evening, I have two weeks left on my original 12 months that came with the car, essentially they said sorry, my "contract" didn't indicate the offer had been extended to me. So apparently there is a target audience and they know individually who that is, you don't just call up and expect to get the offer simply because you car is digitally equipped. At least I tried !

Dadollac1
06-19-09, 10:27 AM
I called XM radio today and they said NO to me about giving me the 3 month free trial. They said I didn't qualify for it and said that only a dealer can get you the free trial offer.

R1chard
06-19-09, 12:07 PM
I called XM radio today and they said NO to me about giving me the 3 month free trial. They said I didn't qualify for it and said that only a dealer can get you the free trial offer.

ouch, gotta love it. :thepan:

stevenriz
06-22-09, 12:21 PM
I think it might have to do with ownership change. Since I was second owner the subscription was running out. I called to extend it and they told me I have 3 months coming to me as a free trial. I asked if I can purchase the Sirius package as well and for $4 out of pocket per free trial month I get the "Best of Sirius" as well. I will probably cancel the Sirius channels after the 3 months. That includes Howard, NFL, Nascar (which I like), Martha Stewart and College Sports. Well, I never listen to Howard and the Playboy channel as interesting as it sounds, really isn't IMHO. You can guess if I ever tuned to Martha and when college sports spark back up, I may renew...

Dougs06sts
06-23-09, 02:02 AM
Getting back to the original topic... :) Thanks for the Onstar tip. I activated my FREE 90 day trial tonight and they just ran a diagnostic. Didn't know they could do that. Very cool. Didn't even make me give them a cc #.

Thx again ! Great forum !!!

~ Doug

tomm
06-23-09, 07:17 PM
Too bad my 2005 is not digital.. I could not even contact onstar through it.

Dadollac1
06-23-09, 09:05 PM
TOMM are you sure yours is analog because I have an 05 1SG AWD and I have a dual mode onstar transceiver which is an analog and a digital unit. When I subscribed to onstar they had no problem connecting me and my bluetooth works almost flawlessly and I have very little problems out of it.i think I must have a latter model year car.

Dadollac1
06-23-09, 09:12 PM
Sorry double post

next2pool
06-23-09, 10:28 PM
Too bad my 2005 is not digital.. I could not even contact onstar through it.

You can check here:

https://www.myonstar.com/adt.os

tomm
06-24-09, 10:57 AM
As of early 2008, cellular carriers, including the carriers on whose networks OnStar depends for the delivery of OnStar services, will no longer support analog service on a national basis. Without the analog network, we can't ensure the coverage that will allow us to provide subscribers, with analog equipment, the services they expect from us.

As a result, starting January 1, 2008, OnStar service in the United States and Canada will be available only for vehicles that operate on the digital cellular network. This vehicle is equipped with analog equipment. However, it is eligible for an equipment upgrade that will enable it to operate on the digital network. If you do not upgrade this vehicle's equipment, it will not be able to receive OnStar service after December 31, 2007. This means, in an emergency, despite what the system may indicate, this vehicle will not have a connection.

A GM dealer can upgrade this vehicle's OnStar equipment to operate on the digital network. The cost for the upgrade is only $15 with the purchase of a one-year OnStar Safe & Sound subscription for $199.* A Directions & Connections subscription is available as well. Please contact your GM dealer to make an appointment.

So looks like analog which would explain why when I push the blue onstar button it does not contact anyone.

corvette00
06-26-09, 01:06 PM
Another great OnStar experience. I attempted to get the three month package mentioned here. The OnStar advisor informed me this was only for people who had purchased used vehicles and since I already had OnStar with this vehicle I did not qualify. I informed them I actually purchased my leased vehicle, therefore I did purchase a used vehicle. They offerred three months basic package and told me this would automatically renew for $18 a month if I did not notify them. In short, I told them to forget it. Did anyone else do this special and get the complete Cadillac package?

OlManRivah
07-26-09, 04:15 PM
I just got my 06 STS-4 Wednesday. Stopped in Mickey D's, got me a burger. Sat there and hit the OnStar button. Within about 3 minutes I got 3 months free Onstar basic. Hit the phone button, and within 3 minutes got 130 minutes for $14.95, 30 were free. Phone service took 24 hrs to activate. Next day worked great.

next2pool
07-27-09, 02:17 AM
I got 3 mos free on my used STS. The other day i used it and because of the extreme heat in Phoenix, they gave me another 30 minutes for free "just in case". I now have 250 minutes for free!!