: Koenigsegg just acquired Saab from GM

ericpd
06-16-09, 10:03 AM
Just heard on the news that Koenigsegg just took Saab off GM's hands. IMO, a very good move on the part of Koenigsegg. They got a quality brand with Swedish roots, now all they gotta do is to undo the rust GM put on the brand in the years they had it. Watch out Mercedes. Watch out BMW. Zee Germans are finding themselves in a 2 front war again,... Cadillac from the west and Saab from the north. Can you image a Koenigsegg affiliate tuner like AMG and M putting coupes and saloons on the street to compete with MB's C and E Class AMG's and BMW's M3 and M5/6? Wonder how long it will take and what they'll look like. The CTS-V has already bloody their collective noses with a solid left jab,... will Koenigsegg complete the 1-2 with a lights out right? Or will this acquisition matter little in the sport/performance coupe and saloon arena?

itschrome
06-16-09, 11:18 AM
I am pretty excited to see how this turns out as well. i would love Saab to take off(pun intended) into something great. they kind of just linger in a state of, well oddity really. thery have potential but GM never really let them full fill it. Saabs always seem to fall just short of something good. if its not horrible turbo lag, its the general sense of being rough around the edges.

MauiV
06-16-09, 01:21 PM
I will now be waiting for my 1000hp carbon fiber car with an ignition on the floorboard.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-16-09, 08:36 PM
Yes! :highfive:

Let's see Koenigsegg take Saab from years of relative obscurity to a real competitive, cutting edge company!

77CDV
06-16-09, 09:16 PM
Now to wind down Pontiac and GM will have offloaded all its problem children.

ericpd
06-17-09, 12:51 AM
I read in a NY Times article at work today that was saying Pontiac may have a buyer in Australia. Forgot the name, but it's the same company that's already doing some partnering with Pontiac and helped to resurrect the GTO some years back. The article said that this company is also doing a lot of exporting to Europe and that Pontiac would be a large part of that if the sale is successful. Some interesting times for GM!

MauiV
06-17-09, 01:27 PM
Holden? They are already a GM company, They made the G8 and GTOs. Vauxhall is the UK version

AMGoff
06-17-09, 01:54 PM
now all they gotta do is to undo the rust GM put on the brand in the years they had it.

You know... I've heard stuff like this from a few different people now and for the life of me, I can't understand it.

Does anyone who says such things actually remember what pre-GM Saabs were like? They weren't exactly the greatest cars in the world... Not that they are now either, but GM has put a lot into them in terms of build quality, fit, and finish.

If I had to choose between an old 900/9000 and a new 9-3/9-5... it would be a no-brainer.

Johnny_Buchanan
06-17-09, 02:50 PM
You know... I've heard stuff like this from a few different people now and for the life of me, I can't understand it.

Does anyone who says such things actually remember what pre-GM Saabs were like? They weren't exactly the greatest cars in the world... Not that they are now either, but GM has put a lot into them in terms of build quality, fit, and finish.

If I had to choose between an old 900/9000 and a new 9-3/9-5... it would be a no-brainer.

I do remember pre-GM Saabs (at one time or another I've driven, travelled and/or worked on all of them. Was even forced to run a 900 for some time in early '90s): 95, 96, 99, 90, 900 and tipo 4 9000. My recollection is of a bit strange cars with some curios quirks but very strong, safe and of a good build quality.

I don't have that much of an experience of the Gmaabs, but based on some friends opinions they are not what Saab used to stand for.

So, all the luck for Christian and his merry men! However, based on what was reported on Dagens Industri (main Swedish busines newspaper) I'm afraid it just won't work :=(

MauiV
06-17-09, 06:06 PM
One of my best friends recently sold his GM Saab to aquire an "old" Saab because he hated just about everything about the car.

ericpd
06-18-09, 12:30 AM

Well I would choose a new 'just about anything' over an old 'just about anything'. That's not saying much. Fact is, you're comparing two different eras of auto manufacturing. Hell,... I'd say my CTS-V has better fit-n-finish than just about anything coming out of the garage owned by H.J. Mulliner and Park Ward. Compared to most cars of the 70's and 80's, the Saab was a premium brand without question. I owned a Saab Turbo of the period and enjoyed it. Still, after a while the interior began to peel, bubble and crack, but so did the interiors in all of them. But the drive train was far superior than any GM product of the same period. I did have to replace the ignition switch 5 or so times,... kept spilling coffee in it.

ericpd
06-18-09, 12:43 AM
Holden? They are already a GM company, They made the G8 and GTOs. Vauxhall is the UK version

Yeah,... those were the two names, Holden and Vauxhall. According to the article, their relationship was more like a partnership rather then an acquired company like Saab or a division like Buick or Oldsmobile. Who knows, maybe they're planning to spin off on their own, maybe something similar to what Saturn has been talking about doing under Penski (sp). Anyway, the read was
interesting and basically said that if Pontiac was to continue, it would live on under these two companies as Holdens south of the equator and Vauxhalls in Europe. Aren't Vauxhalls sold in Canada too? Not sure.

ejguillot
11-24-09, 12:41 PM
Time to resurrect this thread. According to Fox News, the deal's off:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,576594,00.html?test=latestnews

Wonder what happens to Saab now. Join Pontiac in the history books?

Stingroo
11-24-09, 12:55 PM
I saw that too. I wonder what will happen.

A friend of mine here at school drives an '08 Saab.. a 9-3 turbo I think. It's a pretty damn nice car in my opinion.

Then again, I guess that isn't saying much since the newest vehicle my family has owned in my liftetime, was... hmm... I guess my mom's '95 Astro conversion van we had for about 2 years... But really, the '92 Maxima my dad had before that I thought was a much nicer vehicle. So all this newfangled car crap isn't my thing, I guess.

Jesda
11-24-09, 01:08 PM
I <3 Saabs. Clean, efficient styling and wonderful handling. I just wish there was more to set them apart so people would notice them.

Stingroo
11-24-09, 01:15 PM
Too bad that Aero X was never built. That thing was SERIOUSLY cool.

ericpd
11-24-09, 01:25 PM
Sounds like just plain greed on the part of GM to me. If you're gonna sell something, then agree on a price and sell it. Don't dicker around with the deal holding up prime windows of opportunities for those wanting to buy it. Here's something more on the topic.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704779704574555703312066522.html

dkozloski
11-24-09, 01:37 PM
Saabs had weird two-stroke three cylinder popcorn popper motors or borrowed an equally weird V-4 from Ford. The bodies looked like upside down bathtubs. Even the paint colors were bad. You people who cherish old Saabs must be delusional.

ericpd
11-24-09, 03:20 PM
Saabs had weird two-stroke three cylinder popcorn popper motors or borrowed an equally weird V-4 from Ford. The bodies looked like upside down bathtubs. Even the paint colors were bad. You people who cherish old Saabs must be delusional.

Oh you're talking about Saabs from the 50's and 60's. Yeah,... they were weird back then. So were Cadillacs with their NASA-esk fins and Dolly Pardon bumpers. I guess I could also include Mercedes Benz, Volvo, Land Rover and a few others in such a category. And if you wanna talk paint selection,... our own 70's and 80's era was down right shameful and embarrassing to say the least.

dkozloski
11-24-09, 04:02 PM
Oh you're talking about Saabs from the 50's and 60's. Yeah,... they were weird back then. So were Cadillacs with their NASA-esk fins and Dolly Pardon bumpers. I guess I could also include Mercedes Benz, Volvo, Land Rover and a few others in such a category. And if you wanna talk paint selection,... our own 70's and 80's era was down right shameful and embarrassing to say the least.
The Saab 96 was made all the way into the '80s, a 20 year crime spree. LOL

Stingroo
11-24-09, 04:18 PM
He's actually right on this one:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/1980saab96v4jubilee.jpg

It is pretty fugly looking, no doubt about it.

dkozloski
11-24-09, 05:23 PM

Thank you! There's still hope for the younger generation.

Stingroo
11-24-09, 05:31 PM
Hooray!

lol The older ones aren't QUITE as bad because funky car designs are SUPPOSED to be in the 50s and 60s by today's standards... but that thing should have gone the way of the Dodo at LEAST by the 70s. At the very least.

dkozloski
11-24-09, 05:46 PM
A neighbor had one of those Saab 96 junkers and he still waxes eloquent about it. I suspect he has senile dementia.

orconn
11-24-09, 06:04 PM
Beautiful is as beautiful does and all I can say is that in East Africa if one wanted to get somewhere relatively fast and comfortably our first choice was the Saab 93 with the two cyple "corn popper" engine and the pipe and laced canvas seats. It would do sixty over some pretty primitive roads and do it all day on a gallon of gas ... barring antelopes, baboons, camels or the local population getting in the way. Beat the hell out of a Jeep or Land Rover (oh, the cacophony!) in everything but mud. And even if you destroyed it was relatively easy and cheap to get road worthy again.

Later Saabs with their 4 cycle engines lost any charm for me. Big deal 'Turbo" was a loser in city driving where there wasn't enough space to get the revs up. But the Saab remained for many years the only reasonably sized hatchback you could buy in the States. For that it remains a favorite for many.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-24-09, 09:37 PM

Holy mother****ing shit! I'm gonna have to look at pictures of '59 Cadillacs for years to get that image out of my mind.

Stingroo
11-24-09, 10:11 PM
^ You and me both. I looked that thing up just to see how bad it was.

dkozloski
11-24-09, 10:42 PM
Believe me, they were even worse in person.

ericpd
11-25-09, 09:31 AM
The Saab 96 was made all the way into the '80s, a 20 year crime spree. LOL

Not really,... I looked it up and the 96 production run ended January 1980. So technically you are correct,... "The Saab 96 was made all the way into the '80s", and the run did last 20 years. But the implication your statement conveys is a bit misleading. The 96 production run ended in January of 1980,... only days into the decade of the 80's,... nowhere near the 'into the 80s' implication. However, the Ford Taunas, the car which shared it's V4 engine with the 96, continued it's production run all the way to 1986,... six full years after Saab had introduced the Saab 900 which replaced the 96 and 99, again,... way back in 1979 for the 99 and January of 1980 for the 96. More than likely, the 96 and 99 were suppose to end production at the end of the 70's, but enough parts remained to continue the 96 production a few days longer.

ericpd
11-25-09, 09:41 AM
Believe me, they were even worse in person.

Yeah,... they were pretty bad. But they were built like tanks and could double the 'in-service' period of the average car on the American highway of the period. But you're right, gazing on one of those things immediately after lunch wasn't the smartest thing to do.

77CDV
11-25-09, 02:01 PM
Looks like Saab will join Pontiac, Saturn, and Oldsmobile in the great GM junkyard in the sky.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-25-09, 08:29 PM

It kinda reminds me of '60s era Citroens.

ericpd
11-25-09, 08:42 PM
Looks like Saab will join Pontiac, Saturn, and Oldsmobile in the great GM junkyard in the sky.

GM had too many brands anyway,... especially after they went crazy with the corporate twin stuff back in the 70's. LOL! I remember my uncle cussing and spitting because he opened the hood of his brand new Buick and found a red Chevrolet engine,... complete with Chevrolet reverse stamped on the valve covers. GM didn't even bother to paint the damn thing in Buick Blue and stamp new valve covers. Or was it Gold paint? No wait,... I think Gold was Oldmobile and blue was Pontiac. Can't remember,... I guys get the point.

Anyway,... Chevy and Caddy are all that's necessary on the car side with Chevy and GMC bringing up the rear on the truck side. Anything more is just inefficient duplicity,... especially if they remain stuck on corporate twin-age.