: Differential Dillema

Cadillac Giovanni
06-16-09, 02:06 AM
I need a new differential for my 89. I recently replaced the bearings, and my brother told me once those have gone, it's only a matter of time before the gearset bites the dust as well. He was sure right, I think it was a little more than two weeks.

Anyone know of anywhere good? New or rebuilt, what's the preference?

Aron9000
06-16-09, 06:16 AM
If you have it rebuilt, a good place to take it is a custom 4x4 shop. They work on axles and do gear swaps every day.

jayoldschool
06-16-09, 12:47 PM
Just throw a junkyard unit in. Change the fluid, new gasket, and drive.

Angry Matt
06-16-09, 07:00 PM
Jay said it. I just did a junk yard rear for under $100 total, fluids and gaskets. Plus you can maybe get a better ratio.

Cadillac Giovanni
06-17-09, 02:24 AM
I'm often told to get junkyard parts, but I have to wonder if everyone else has WAY better junkyards than the ones I have locally. If they even have the part, chances are the car is buried or tucked away in the back of the yard, and they couldn't care less about selling it to me, or helping me get it out. They'd rather get the money for scrapping the car than selling parts to me.

Angry Matt
06-17-09, 10:13 PM
Where are you? Anywhere near the east coast? Junk yard people generally are miserable.

Cadillac Giovanni
06-18-09, 02:05 AM
South Massachusetts. I know ONE guy who is really helpful, unfortunately his yard is small, and as such he scraps cars often so he only has the newest cars. He got rid of all his big old caddies years ago...