: Future of Cadillac if GM liquidates?

RoyalCaddy1
06-15-09, 08:27 PM
I know that it would be almost impossible for GM to be liquidated considering all of the bail out money that has been put into them. What if this chapter 11 reorganization does not work and GM still can't turn a profit? What if GM is forced to liquidate in the future? Would Cadillac be sold to Mercedes, toyota or another foreign competitor? I could not imagine a world with out Cadillac, but these recent events have me worried that this could happen one day. Could Cadillac go the way of the Packard or the Studebaker?

Ranger
06-15-09, 08:45 PM
ANYTHING is possible.

Playdrv4me
06-15-09, 09:03 PM
I would much rather have Cadillac in the hands of Mercedes, Toyota or BMW, (none of whom would ever consider purchasing Cadillac even if it is profitable... Mercedes feel they've already been burned once by State-side ownership, Toyota has no interest in American marques, and it doesn't fit BMW's portfolio) than let some sleazy, strip and flip greaseball Private Equity Firm get a hold of it. Or worse, the Chinese, India or France.

You could theorize the possibility of Ford picking it up, which would re-unite long-lost siblings Lincoln and Cadillac in an odd and probably unproductive way that would likely see one of them die off in the end. Ford however is not looking to buy ANYTHING right now, nor do they need to.

Speaking in terms of REALITY and who I REALLY think would make an honest bid for the brand, if it came down to HAVING to let Cadillac go to alternate owners there is no doubt to me the best suitors (of those who would even consider it) would be the Koreans. If anyone would be able to continue to see Cadillac's vision through in the case of such an UNLIKELY and disastrous possibility, it would be Hyundai. They have a VERY keen interest in penetrating into the luxury market now that they're all grown up, as evidenced by the phenomenal Genesis.

The Tony Show
06-15-09, 10:16 PM
I don't see Cadillac disappearing completely, even in the unlikely event of liquidation. I don't agree that an existing car company would buy them though- I think someone like Roger Penske (who just bought Saturn) or Kerkorian would likely step up.

Playdrv4me
06-15-09, 10:40 PM
I don't see Cadillac disappearing completely, even in the unlikely event of liquidation. I don't agree that an existing car company would buy them though- I think someone like Roger Penske (who just bought Saturn) or Kerkorian would likely step up.

I forgot about that possibility, I agree Penske would probably be the first to snatch up the brand. Kerkorian makes lowball bids for everything and just window-shops.

It seems alot of dealer groups that own Cadillac franchises also own Saturn franchises (like the Ed Morse group here) so the Penske possibility would seem to make the most sense.