: Big Green Egg owners chime in

Rolex
06-15-09, 04:10 PM
Okay so I'm in the market for a new BBQ grill and smoker. The grill I have now is tired and the cheapy electric smoker my beloved wife bought me a couple of years ago sucks. I'd like to pick up a new grill, and maybe one that can pull double duty as a smoker.

Everybody I've ever known that owns these BGEs just raves about them. Happenstance that our local Sam's Club just got a truck load of these large Eggs in the past couple of weeks. I can't imagine these things are flying out the door at $700. :bonkers: I don't mind paying for quality but WTF is with the high cost of these things???

Those that own them give me some pros and cons on the unit. I'm considering them based on word of mouth. Some of the youtube vids I watch on them make them look a little labor intensive. Also can you use "regular" charcoal in these things or just the natural wood charcoal?

TIA, Rolex :)

The Tony Show
06-15-09, 04:16 PM
I believe both RightTurn and Brett are BGE users.

Florian
06-15-09, 04:52 PM
Traeger FTW!

F

hueterm
06-15-09, 06:06 PM
BGEs are best for high heat searing of steaks or other quick grilled items that can take that high of heat. It's easy to burn things in them if you use too much charcoal. They're too small to do anything major barbecuing (like what you put on your facebook). IMO, you really need to use lump in them -- briquets put off too much ash.

What is your proportion of grilling (steaks, burgers, dogs/sausages, chicken breasts, seafood, vegetables) to barbecuing (pork shoulder, brisket, whole chickens, ribs)? How often do you cook a lot at one time?

Also -- Budget? Gas v Charcoal? Deck/patio space?

DILLIGAF
06-15-09, 06:59 PM
Buy an electric Traeger for the same money,set it and walk away.They sell BGE clones on ebay i"m told.My neighbor bought a brand new one for $425 and the build quality looks great and he loves it.Being able to cook 8>10 hours at a time without messing with wood or changing a bottle is priceless.

hueterm
06-15-09, 08:32 PM
For barbecuing, if you want to spend the $$, and want to deal w/having to buy the pellets, the Traeger is probably the best thing going -- except for that in my experience, it doesn't get hot enough to really sear a steak.

However, they're big and they're easy. Almost 180 degrees opposite to the BGE.

RightTurn
06-15-09, 08:47 PM
About the BGE... let's just say, that's money I'd like to have back. :D Is that the smaller model for $700 at Sam's?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/164207-big-green-egg-2.html

hueterm
06-15-09, 08:51 PM
If you're going to smoke a lot, space isn't a huge concern, and if you don't want a gas grill -- then I'd get either this:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10202040____SearchResults

or this:

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/grills/smokers&start=0&selectedSKU=0263-02219-5609

plus a 22" Weber Kettle.

hueterm
06-15-09, 08:52 PM
It's the 18" -- what size is yours?

Rolex
06-15-09, 10:46 PM
I think I will look past the BGE. I wanted to give it a look because of its cult following and the fact that the Sam's has them. I'll look up the Traeger (looks like there's a dealer in Bentonville). I forgot you'd be the guy to ask Mike. Thanks for the intel guys, I appreciate it.

Florian
06-17-09, 12:18 AM
Love my Traeger...wouldnt trade it for the world. Steaks are no problem, set it to 450 and let it get good and hot, sear both sides of steak, then lower to 350 for about 15 minutes per side....
I gar-on-tee the juiciest steak youve ever had!

F

trukk
06-17-09, 12:44 AM
My neighbor has a bge. He loves it. Best thing about it, is he forked over the cash, and I get to eat a lot of free BBQ :thumbsup:. The food he cooks in it REALLY tastes good.

-Chris