: Modern classics?

itschrome
06-15-09, 03:01 PM
Summer time is all but upon us, the suns out, the air is warm and the chrome is shinning. I spent as much time I can admiring the classics at the numerous car shows hosted every weekend this time of year and it makes me ponder of our future. Are we going to see mass restoration to original glory of cars from our times? Or will we suffer only heavily modified modern cars and if so what kind of staying power do cars of my generation really have? I should point out that looking back on my life being 25 I think of modern cars from the mid to late 80ís through current. Oh sure weíll have those 80ís Monte carolís and companion cars there of. As well as the few small run cars like the Grand National to represent the 80ís. but what about the 90ís? what about those other cars that maybe have a smaller niche in the world. Omni GLH any one? I am also almost certain the ferio is going to be a car show staple. I would even been surprised to see some TLC into the last generation Alfas that trudged on through the end of the 80ís. I havenít yet. But why is that? Also how about the 90ís what will we see from this period? Iíd like to see pristine non-tuned out 3000gts, Supras, SVXís, stealths. But I feel like these cars will only be seen in ways that yes enhance the performance, but preserve nothing. I have made a list of cars I foresee as being the future classics:

1994-1996 Impala SS. definitely a classic and I donít feel I will need to defend this.
1991 Ė 1997 Subaru SVX. The performance may not have been mind blowing, but Subaru definitely went out on a ledge with this one. It laid the ground work for Subaru being able to offer a sports car. Albeit not nearly as stylish.
Supraís not year specific. These cars were just awesome. As a kid I was always mystified by these sleek Toyotas. Wondering how the same people that made my grandpaís camary could make something of such.. well awesomeness. Then I became old enough to drive one, well I never expected what I experienced. Its so sad though we constantly hear of another supra lost to some fan boy with more $$ than driving skill killing these things.
4th generation Trans AM. I just love the body work on these. The Camero of the same generation will also stick with us, but I feel the trans AM stand above them based solely on style.
Cameroís. you could say all generations, but I Ďm gonna narrow it down. 80ís IROZ, sad but true. People will keep these going forever. 90ís Z28. the styling and performance of these keeps them more interesting than the SS, IMO any ways.
1992- 1997 Caddy Seville. As an ower I may be bias on this one. HOWEVER I always liked this generation. i feel like these cars have staying power and would make for an excellent restoration job in the future.
Mustangs. Well they are always going to be there and people will always show Ďem. Not a fan my self but itís the truth.
Dodge Daytona Z. these were fun cars with budget performance. Their styling wasnít too shabby either. I feel like these cars have been getting a little more interest lately and feel weíll be seeing them down the road at the car shows.
1991-1996 Buick roadmaster. You still see plenty of these cars on the road in good shape and I feel latter on down the road people might turn their restoration focus on them.

Well these are all I could think of at the moment, feel free to add to and debate the list. I am interested to see what you guys think.

MauiV
06-15-09, 03:25 PM
Persoanally I have no desire to see a post 1972 car in stock form. I have seen so many bone stock 2005+ Mustangs at car shows it makes my head hurt. Even if its a Roush or a Shelby its still stock. The only one I have seen worth even looking at was a KR500 and its still the same car you can see in the dealership showroom.

itschrome
06-15-09, 03:30 PM
I feel the same way about the mustangs. i dont think they are classics in any form. there are just soo many and they make soo many every years and i'd say a good 45% of their owners feel like they need to show them, even if they are just 2 yrs old. its too new. and no one wants to see an ugly 90's mustang.

Aron9000
06-15-09, 03:46 PM
You left off the 93-96 Cadillac Fleetwood, and the 80-92 Brougham/Deville/Fleetwood. People still love the giant land yatch Cadillac, and the design was great on all of those years.

itschrome
06-15-09, 04:02 PM
:banghead: see thats why i wanted your guys input. i dunno how i hit the roadmaster and impala and missed those.

Night Wolf
06-15-09, 04:22 PM
It varies from one internet forum to another. Example - alot of the choices on a Cadillac site are Cadillac/GM. What it really comes down to is what each person, personally likes, and would like to see kept around for a long time.

With that said, I've already secured my modern classic :)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/InoventionsEast/Florida/101-02-09050.jpg

itschrome
06-15-09, 04:34 PM
3 series? i do love those late 80's/90's bimmers.

MauiV
06-15-09, 08:45 PM
I would MUCH rather see an 9 second daily driver Notch Fox Body Mustang than the new body style.

The big body Impala SS is definatly in. Maybe a Marauder but IMO they just lack something. Really nice SHOs, GTOs, G8s, and I have preferred Trans Ams to Camaros since 1970 so the WS6 makes the list WAY over a SS IMO. I saw a 91 NSX at a recent show, very nice. Any M or AMG series.

ga_etc
06-16-09, 04:27 AM
I love that someone else knows what the hell a SVX is. I still think they are very neat little cars. The first time I ever saw one was on the interstate when I was about 12 or so and couldn't figure out what it was. The windows are so unique on them.

I think another good addition to the list is the late 80's Nissan 300ZX, the ones with pop-up headlights. In unmolested form they are still sharp cars and getting harder to find.

LS1Mike
06-16-09, 04:52 AM
Grand National/GNX

SVOs/SVTs/SHOs

Syclone/Typhoon

New Thunderbird

Some of the Shelby Dodge cars. The numbered ones from Shelby's plant in California (CSX, Lancer,GLHS and Dakota)

1989 Turbo Trans Am

Callaway cars

Aron9000
06-16-09, 06:12 AM
Grand National/GNX

1989 Turbo Trans Am

Those are badass. I think they'll be the Hemi Cuda of the 1980's, low production, one year only special.

itschrome
06-16-09, 09:49 AM
LS1Mike:great adds! I totally had forgotten about the TTA and the typhoons were amazing! not sure i agree that all SVT's should be added but the SHO's definitely should, both the original and the later with the v8. to early to call on the new one.

ga_etc: agreed, i love the 80's Z cars. they had a kind of class in their styling that was lost to ricer appeal in the 90's. and as for the new ones, well a french car never really impressed me much, but i'd drive one if it was given to me. :D Oh lets not for get the SX too! little 240 was a wicked little ride. yeah i remeber feeling the same way when i was younger, of cours eback then not having tons of info on demand like we do now with this crazy interwebs it took me for ever to find out about that car. i have been trying to buy one for years, sadly people just haven't been treating them with much respect and i dont have the time or money to do a rebuild. :(

Another i think should be added:
Full production run, olds aurora.
1992–1998: De sol. i dont car how you feel about hondas and civics. this was a neat little ride. two door coupe with targa top and a back window that rolled down. add that with the light weight and a 160hp motor and what do you have? a fun little car.

Aron9000
06-16-09, 10:18 AM
1990-1996 300zx

http://karfarmmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/1990-96-nissan-300zx.jpg
Perhaps the most beautiful Japanese car ever. The styling, both outside and inside, is just stunning. From a design perspective, this is my favorite Japanese car by far. When it debuted in 1990, it simply blew away its competition in terms of style, quality, and power. This includes the C4 Vette, Toyota Supra, Mazda RX-7, Jaguar XJ12, Benz SL600, and BMW 850i. It was a matter of personal taste with the awesome Acura NSX, both posted almost identical performance numbers.

The 300zx really looks great with a modern set of 18" or 19" wheels, it really brings the car into the 21st century.

EDIT: I also nominate the 2nd and 3rd gen RX-7. Both were beautiful cars with horrible rotary engines. Luckily you can swap out that blown up rotary with just about any V8. The main selling point of these cars were the light weight and awesome suspension setup that provided sublime handling. Hell, that twin turbo rotary in the 3rd gen RX-7 was a freaking screamer and flat out awesome when it was running right.

itschrome
06-16-09, 10:44 AM
1990-1996 300zx

EDIT: I also nominate the 2nd and 3rd gen RX-7. Both were beautiful cars with horrible rotary engines. Luckily you can swap out that blown up rotary with just about any V8. The main selling point of these cars were the light weight and awesome suspension setup that provided sublime handling. Hell, that twin turbo rotary in the 3rd gen RX-7 was a freaking screamer and flat out awesome when it was running right.

agree, i just really like getting into the whole RX-7 debate, people either supoer love 'em or hate them and i generally dont really car for them. the last gen was slick. but the first gen from the 80's, yuck. there have been rumors of them bringing the RX back from that ugly ass 3 door RX-8 back onto the proper two door miata plat form. as well as brining the 3 rotor setup back. but i really couldn't car less.

oh and those were sick Z's do doubt but being the sick deprived mofo i am i have a soft spot in my heart for 80's cars. i know, i know. i should seek help from a trained profession ASAP. HOWEVER this is just slick.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1c/White300ZX.jpg

93DevilleUSMC
06-16-09, 12:25 PM
The 1990-1993 Deville/Fleetwood and 1993 Sixty Special. I'm sure a lot of folks will debate this choice, but those cars carried the last "vintage" Deville cues before the transition to the 1994-1996 Devilles.

The 1992-1997 Seville STS. More so than the SLS, this car carried crisp, sculpted, bold Pininfarrina lines while managing to look uniquely American.

The 2008-present Dodge Viper. Love Mopars or hate them, the Viper was an unapologetic, purist's aproach to the American roadster: a powerful V-10 with the car added as an afterthought, with no thought given to creature comforts or conventional styling. It is Howard Roarke and an A-10 embodied in a car.

The 2005-2009 Mustang. This is the car that, while fairly bland, inspired the rebirth of classic American nameplates like Camaro, Charger, and Challenger.

The 2005-present Chrysler 300C. This is the car that made an American-built sedan a middle-class status icon.

The 2005-present Dodge Charger. This car is seen in every form from mild daily driver to wild Super Bee muscle sedan to steel grey city police or state patrol cruiser. It takes classic cues of the first Charger coupe, yet is not slaved to the past in it's styling.

2010 Camaro. This car may well be the most anticipated pony car in American automotive history. When it finally arrived, it was true to the 2006 concept, yet better executed in production than concept, unlike many concept vehicles.

2008-present Dodge Challenger. The car is essentially what Kowalski would drive if he could build his own car. It is without any concession to political correctness and today's cultural deadening of original thought. It is instead brash, bold, and powerful. What other car could wear bright orange paint and sell?

2008-present Malibu. Chevrolet went the extra miles and payed attention to the small details in this one, which is rare for a Chevy-built familoy sedan. The center console and gauages vaguely resemble that of the Cadillac CTS, and a two-tone interior is offered.

2008-present Cadillac CTS. Cadillac's Art and Science theme was successfully refreshed and revitalized for the Gen-II CTS, which was itself historically significant. The new CTS is thoroughly modern, angular, agressive, and distintive, yet evokes its Cadillac heritage quite well. With a coming CTS Sport Wagon and 2011 CTS Coupe, the CTS may well be Cadillac's most versatile platform in decades.

2009-present CTS-V. This car will be a classic for the same reasons as the standard CTS, but more so for the fact that it is the single most powerful and best-handling production Cadillac sedan in the marque's history. It is also the American sedan that dethroned the BMW M5 as the top luxury sedan of the segment.

The 1999-present Escalade. Through all of it's revisions, even the bland 1999 model, the Escalade has been the single vehicle that saved Cadillac and gave it the market status to revamp itself. The basics remain the same: large, opulent vehicle, chrome liberally applied, and distinctive high-market image.

MauiV
06-16-09, 01:51 PM
I thought about the Typhoo/Syclone and 3.8 Turbo TA on my drive home this morning. Love them all

itschrome
06-16-09, 02:48 PM
93DevilleUSMC: great list all though i dont fully agree with the staying power of some of these cars as "classics". For instance I'm mostly in disagreement with the Escalade having future staying power. i couldn't agree more with what it did for the brand in bringing back a more upscale market but when you break it down to nuts and bolts its a dressed up Tahoe. i never feel like models that have merely been re badged versions of a mass produced model have any true staying power. I could be wrong though. The CTS is definitely on its way to classic status no doubt. I feel that after the restyling of 1992-1997 Cadillac did its self a huge dis service with the 1998-2002 period. the bold Pininfarrina styling they borrowed from the Allante really brought Cadillac back into the lime light and the softening of the 98-02 years just blanded the brand again. until the CTS any ways! also since i brought up the 92-97 years i feel the STS might have a larger fan base based on being the sportier model with more HP, how ever i think the classier look of the chrome lined and hood ordainment wearing SLS will make it more of a desirable car to restore. but don't quote me on that. the 2010 camero. was a classic from the time the green lighted it! GM definitely hit a homer there. And the 300c/charger has to be a classic. they finally gave america what we've been longing for a larger RWD v8 sedan thats not a punk ass crown vic! and they looked good while doing it. same goes for challenger.

93DevilleUSMC
06-16-09, 03:02 PM
Itschrome: I can see your point about the Escalade being a dressed up Tahoe, but that might actually make it somewhat iconic down the road, given that the very survival of the large SUV is in question. The Escalade is, in it's own way, the modern heir of the Big American Car, and could well be the last of that line.

If you think about it, the 1994-1996 Fleetwood is a highly polished Caprice, and wasn't hurt by that in the slightest.

I think some of the more limited fourth-generation Camaros will definitely be classics one day. The Trans Ams seem to have already acquired that status. As for the 2010 Camaro, we can thank the 2006 concept and the producers of Transformers for that.

The reason I avoided mentioning the SLS was because of the fact that I've seen many with the carriage tops, vogues, and other such items that just ruin the clean lines of the car to me. But hey, that might be collectible one day, so I'll just wait and see. Thanks for mentioning the Allante, though. I had completely forgotten it!
Pininfarrina is still doing its magic, as shown in the new Maserati Granturismo S.

Now, what do you think about the 2000-2005 Deville line?

trukk
06-16-09, 03:59 PM
I love lists like this. I'm also going to try and keep this realistic. I won't be naming every supercar I dreamed of during my formative years. Also I will try to name a bunch that haven't been named yet.

1) e30 M3. Best M car ever.
http://www.tjrubley.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/61b8_3.jpg

2) DiamondStar Starion/Conquest. There will be more than a few JDM's on this list because they are just so cool. I will stear away from the standard Eclipse variants though. This is one of my favorite JDMs. Very cool styling for it's time. 2.4l turbocharged, manual tranny, RWD :thumbsup:
http://www.drifting.com/forums/attachments/buy-and-sell-area/5412d1090995162-1989-chrysler-conquest-tsi-for-sale-conquest-1.jpg

3) The original AMG Hammer
http://www.canim.net/araba/images/MB-Hammer-02-1024.jpg

4) Mid 80's M6. Such a beautiful car. I'd love to score an older 633 one day, and drop an LSX into it :D
http://media.nextautos.com/images/php3jbG2C

5) All the turbo'd 3.6 buick derivitives (Sy/Ty/TTA/Regal Trubo/GN(X)/etc.)
<pic removed to get under the 15 pic max, you guys know what the engine and cars look like>

6) '96 LT4 C4 vette. Yes the ZR-1 is awesome, but the '96 was pretty much the ultimate expression of the (mostly) old school SBC. Supposed under-rated by the factory, to not steal any thunder from the LS1 debut in '97.
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/96-corvette-1.jpg

7) Renault R5 Turbo II. This is a bit out there, and somewhat 'super-car'esque, but it was such a cool little car, and MAN did they get a lot of power from a 1.2l (I think) engine.
http://images.modified.com/features/0308_05z+1986_renault_r5_turbo2+front_left_view.jp g

8) Mid 80's Peugeot 505 Turbo. Yes two french cars in a row <shudder> A neighbor had one of these down the street from me when I was younger. It was bright red, and I always loved the look of them:
https://www.peugeotclub.eu/graphics/gallery/full/100_505zavodni.jpg

9) SHO has already been mentioned. A somewhat sleepier cousing would be the Dodge Spirit R/T. Cylinder heads by lotus. Nifty 225 hp, only available in a 5 speed manual. Performance pretty much equal to the SHO and that era's M5. Not bad for a hopped up K-Car.
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/autoreview/400x266/1990-95-Dodge-Spirit-92103451990307.jpg

10) AMC Eagle. The very first crossover. Like 20 years before #2.
http://agent008.myautospies.com/users/152/Sample-Gallery/83.amc.eagle.500.jpg

11) The first Audi Quattro (note that the Q is capitilized).
http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/classics/A/audi/03-large/audi-quattro-1988.jpg

12) Deloreans where pretty cool:
http://damox.com/cars/thumbs/Delorean/1981_Delorean_DMC12.jpg

13) Cadillac Alante. I've always thought that Pininfarina styling was just amazing.
http://www.avto-otchet.net/CarReviews/2269_0.jpg

14) Galant VR4. Talk about a sleeper, this along with the Colt's could be made into MONSTERs. 240 stock HP, very easy to upgrade. Think of this as a non EVO, EVO.
http://inform.glam.ac.uk/media/files/photos/10.jpg

I'm sure I'll think of a few other more mundane, but cool cars.

-Chris

Jesda
06-16-09, 04:06 PM
Jeep Wrangler, obvious one.

Audi TT... maybe.

itschrome
06-16-09, 04:13 PM
trukk: :thumbsup: great list. i agree 100% with all of them. I actually had one of those 2.2l r/t engines i was building for my k-car. man that would have been sweet!

trukk
06-16-09, 04:21 PM
trukk: :thumbsup: great list. i agree 100% with all of them. I actually had one of those 2.2l r/t engines i was building for my k-car. man that would have been sweet!

I figured anyone could come on here and say:

- Callaway Corvette
- Testarossa
- Countache
- Cobra Type R
- ......ETC......

I wanted to pick some more normal, but somewhat obscure cars.

-Chris

trukk
06-16-09, 05:30 PM
A few more to add to my list.

16) Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo. RWD? Check. 140 HP? Check. Manual transmission? Check. 2700 lbs? Check. Lotus Tuned Suspension? Check. Half Hidden Cool Assed Headlights? Check. Same performance as a Starion/Conquest? Check.
http://www.adclassix.com/images/87isuzuimpulseturbo.jpg

17) Land Rover Defender 90. WAAAAAAAYYYY cooler than a Wrangler (although it may rust into a million pieces first).
http://www.trailhead4x4.com/mediac/400_0/media/94D903.JPG

18) I always really like the Alfa 75 (know as Milano here in the US). The turbo was peppy, but nothing crazy (similar to the 505 turbo). I just like the styling. It has the italian "I don't give a f**k" look to it. I mean look at the trunk area. It looks like the too a giant straight edge, and put it on top of the car, and then bent the ass end up 5 degrees. Bonus points for ahving one of the coolest logos going as well.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/115/265483266_994e1dc2ff.jpg

19) 92 Olds Achieva SCX. OK, OK, the Achieva was a pretty horrible car, but this was the 2 door, 5 speed 190hp version, that they made 500 of for SCCA homologation. Pretty unique car. I put this on my list mostly because hardly anyone had heard of them. I think they made a similar Grand Amm (and horribly called it the 442).
http://www.autosavant.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/achieva-scx-300x199.jpg

20) 88 Pontiac Fiero GT. The Fiero was an attempt by GM to make a mid engine Corvette. It failed to catch on, so instead the buttoned it up as the craptastic early Fiero. Pontial finally got it right in 88 with the updated GT, and then promptly canceled the car.
http://www.eaglespirit.us/Image011.jpg

21) 86 Corolla GT-S. RWD, 115 hp, but weight was about 2000 lbs. Suprisingly quick little car. Probabaly won;t be many of these left, because the drift crowd has hooned these to hell and back.
http://www.works-y3f.com/m_cars/3_jpn/toyota/AE86/03.jpg

Thats about all I can think off right now.

-Chris

itschrome
06-16-09, 05:50 PM
A few more to add to my list.

20) 88 Pontiac Fiero GT. The Fiero was an attempt by GM to make a mid engine Corvette. It failed to catch on, so instead the buttoned it up as the craptastic early Fiero. Pontial finally got it right in 88 with the updated GT, and then promptly canceled the car.
http://www.eaglespirit.us/Image011.jpg

-Chris

failed to catch on? on you kidding? i never failed to catch on.... fire that is.. muahahaha.. sorry. i loved the 88 gt, but the mr4's yeah total junk. A+ for effort though on gm's behalf. would love to see another attempt at this.

Cream_Devil_91
06-16-09, 06:06 PM
The 1990-1993 Deville/Fleetwood and 1993 Sixty Special. I'm sure a lot of folks will debate this choice, but those cars carried the last "vintage" Deville cues before the transition to the 1994-1996 Devilles.

Ah I couldn't agree more, good to know I'm not the only one who thinks so :)

Rodya234
06-16-09, 06:45 PM
Audi TT... maybe.

The R8 would have to be on the list long before the TT came along. The TT isn't much more then a beefed up A3 with R8 styling. :ill:

I have a feeling the R8 will be our modern day Testarossa.

http://www.452-engines.com/uploaded_images/audi-R8-fast-and-furious-723561.jpg
http://www.arpem.com/coches/coches/audi/audi-r-8/flash/2007/audi-r-8-b2.jpg
http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2006/10/03-audi-r8/Audi-R8-interior-2-lg.jpg

It's also one of few cars that even have a sexy engine bay. The 4.2L that sits in it isn't to shabby either. :D
http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2006/10/03-audi-r8/Audi-R8-engine-lg.jpg

orconn
06-16-09, 07:06 PM
I'd nominate the 1990-96 Alfa Romeo 164 sedan. Didn't sell well in the U.S. but was considered by many connosieurs to be the premier sports sedan of the decade. I'm syrprised no one has mentioned the first generation Jaguar XK8; whether in convertibleot coupe form a real classic of the 1990's. I agree the 1992-97 Seville STS is probably "the" true classic of the nineties decade. The Honda 2000 GT is also very special. And the Miata certainly has to fing a place in the lineup somewhere!

Aron9000
06-16-09, 07:39 PM
Break out your Hank Jr tapes and the mullet. I love the 3rd gens. The 350tpi and 245 series tires were pretty trick stuff for 1987.

http://www.iroczone.com/images/gallery/88iroc.jpg

ga_etc
06-16-09, 07:56 PM
What about another forgotten GM product: the '88-'91 Buick Reatta. Especially the '90-'91 Reatta Convertible.
http://images.motortrend.com/classic/c12_0606_01l+future_classic+buick_reatta.jpg
Smooth and elegant styling in a small, well powered (for the day) top-down cruiser. The coupes are sharp too but not as impressive as the convertible with the top down.

:thumbsup: on the Starion/Conquest and Spirit R/T. Both Cool cars. I would like to get my hands on one.

gary88
06-16-09, 08:26 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/cadillac-cimarron-parts.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/2003-pontiac-aztek.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/2008mercedes-benzr-class20166167-39.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/2008-chrysler-sebring-con-12_460x0w.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/112_05fas_jeep_compass01_s.jpg

All timeless classics representing the pinnacle of modern automotive technology and innovation.

93DevilleUSMC
06-16-09, 08:45 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/cadillac-cimarron-parts.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/2003-pontiac-aztek.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/2008mercedes-benzr-class20166167-39.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/2008-chrysler-sebring-con-12_460x0w.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/112_05fas_jeep_compass01_s.jpg

All timeless classics representing the pinnacle of modern automotive technology and innovation.

Gary, I respect your opinion but couldn't disagree more with the M-B minivan and the Pontiac Aztek as classics. The front end on the Pontiac is a reminder of how Pontiac's styling slid to the point of ugliness.

The Cimarron was less of an innovation than a poorly prepped market pitch by Cadillac.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-16-09, 08:54 PM
Josiah, it was a joke post, lol.

93DevilleUSMC
06-16-09, 09:15 PM
Dude, you know how I can miss jokes on here. Lol. Sorry.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-16-09, 09:29 PM
Trukk had a lot of good ideas, especially the Spirit R/T. Everyone forgets those.

To me, on top of everything else, a classic must be fairly rare and highly desirable (mainly to the mainstream population)

Aside from the other's suggestions, here's mine:

American: (I'm looking through an encyclopedia of american cars lol)

1999 Buick Riviera Silver Arrow (final commemorative edition)
1997-04 Buick Regal GSX (SLP Modified GS...up to 270 horsepower)
1991-92 Cadillac Fleetwood Coupe
1993 Allante. Only year the Gorgeous Allante was available with the Northstar. Finally enough power for that car.
1994-96 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, especially with V4P tow package. (The other Caddies are all nice, but not nearly as rare as the FWB)
Any of the V-Series models.
1987-92 Camaro IROC/Z-28
1997 Camaro 30th Anniversary Edition
2002 Camaro 35th Anniversary Edition
1990-95 ZR-1
1996 Corvette Collector's Series LT-4
2005-07 Cobalt SS, 2009 + Cobalt SS (2.0, not the 2.4)
2009+ Camaro
2002+ 300M Special Edition
1990-95 (?) Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
1990-97 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (not everyone's taste, but I like 'em)
1989-95 Taurus SHO
1984-87(?) Mustang SVO
1989-95 Thunderbird Super Coupe
1995-98 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
1983-87 Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds or 442
1990-92 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo
1994-99 Oldsmobile LSS
1995-99 Aurora (the other ones are nice too, but I like these more)
1990-93 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
1987-92 Trans Am GTA
1994 Trans Am 25th Anniversary Edition
1999 Trans Am 30th Anniversary Edition
1997-04 Grand Prix GTX
2002 Trans Am Collector's Edition
Any of the Shelby Chryslers from the '80s. GLH, GLH-S, Lancer, CSX, etc etc.

77CDV
06-16-09, 09:39 PM
What becomes "collectible" largely depends on what appealed to people when new, and what people found intriguing or different enough to be memorable. Personal taste and personal connections to a particular make or model is also a factor. This is why the muscle cars of the 1960s are so popular now. They resonate with the boomers who remember them and coveted them when they were new, and now have the means to acquire them, or acquire them again as a "rolling time machine". On the other hand, cars of the 1940s and earlier have found their market appeal much diminished, as the people who remember them and coveted them when new are now either dead or very old and mostly past driving age.

I expect the hobby to fragment in the future, since most younger people have little enthusiasm for cars (and being raised on Toyotas and Hondas, who can blame them?) and those that do have wide-ranging tastes. Chad is a signal example, wanting/liking a huge variety of cars. So, what would a 50-year-old Chad choose to save for the future? Answer that, and you have a pretty good idea of what a car show 25 years into the future would look like.

billc83
06-16-09, 10:40 PM
I just want to say that this is a really good question. I tried to compile a list earlier but was unable to; it's very broad.

@ gary88's joke post - People in the 60s never thought the Edsel would ever become a collector's item. I'm sure the Cimarron, Aztek, et al will have a following somewhere down the road.

Night Wolf
06-16-09, 10:49 PM
Truth is, without going into alot of details, future classic cars are simply what the current generation really likes/has, or really wants but can't afford.

Thats the reason of the inflated prices of cars from the muscle car era. The baby boomer generation is now middle aged, and are trying to buy back the car they had in their youth, or the car they've always wanted in their youth.

For the most part, those cars came (very) short on just about every aspect compared to new cars. Today we are left with vivid images from movies like fast & furious where everyone was driving around in a modded 12s race-spec car. Thats not the case, and many would not like driving one of those older cars around as a daily driver.... non-hydraulic clutch, drum brakes, minimal creature comforts that we've come to expect on the most basic cars today (power windows, delay wipers, cruise control) etc...

Which is why I think we are going to see a rapid decline in 60's/70's era muscle car values once the baby boomers pass on. The "silent generation" (baby boomers parents) are the ones that bring the 30's and 40's era cars to car shows, not baby boomers. Same goes with the muscle cars.

Of course rare, limited and low production cars will always be collectible regardless of generation, but for the run of the mill mass produced car? How many fully restored Model-T's (not hot rods) do you see at car shows? How many are owned, due to want (and not passed down) by baby boomers or younger? How many baby boomers seek out 1920's-1930's era cars? A far less amount then the number that seek out cars from the muscle era. Same can be said to compare my generation to the previous. Today generation X and Y like the muscle cars because of the "bad azz" appeal and big engines, so you do see a (slight) varied ownership age at shows, which again, has alot in part due to the various movies that bring back the classics to the scene. For the most part, my generation is into tuner/import/sports type cars and not big lumbering muscle cars, and that's going to be the type of cars that will be popular when my generation is middle aged. People will be saying "my best friend has one of those WRX STi's back in college" etc... These are going to be the types of cars that will be deseriable "future classics" because when my generation is middle aged, they will want to relive their youth as well.

RightTurn
06-16-09, 10:50 PM
I can't believe you all overlooked the Studebaker Lark. :alchi:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/1959-1964-studebaker-lark-3.jpg.jpg

77CDV
06-16-09, 10:55 PM
Goes right up there with the Hudson Jet.

http://www.hubcapcafe.com/i/2000/blaine/huds5401.JPG

Night Wolf
06-16-09, 11:18 PM
My contribution:

http://vintage-original-ads.com/Pictures/albums/uploads/1987-Isuzu-Trooper-II-4x4.jpg

RightTurn
06-16-09, 11:22 PM
Goes right up there with the Hudson Jet.

http://www.hubcapcafe.com/i/2000/blaine/huds5401.JPG

Does that have the "super six?"

Rotorocket
06-16-09, 11:41 PM
The new Mercedes C Class sold in Germany in Diesel form is a new modern classic. It gets back to 80's MB build quality and sense of purpose for the first time since that era.

trukk
06-17-09, 12:07 AM
failed to catch on? on you kidding? i never failed to catch on.... fire that is.. muahahaha.. sorry. i loved the 88 gt, but the mr4's yeah total junk. A+ for effort though on gm's behalf. would love to see another attempt at this.

I meant that the fiero prototype never caught on as a mid engined corvette.

I too would have loved to see what a second gen Fiero could have been. 'Tis a shame.

-Chris

Jesda
06-17-09, 02:04 AM
The new C-class sold in the United States is a cheap hunk of trash.

Aron9000
06-17-09, 03:13 AM
^ Really? I'd put it on par with the classic 190E from the 1980's. It has a big, solid, substantial feel about it that was severely lacking in the past gen C-class. The styling is unique and it defiently has a certain macho swagger about it. It no longer looks like a dowdy 4/5 size S-class like the past two generations. You can really see its the spiritual sucessor to the old 190E. Hell, I wish Mercedes had revived that moniker for this car.

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2007/01/c_class_official.jpg
http://www.leftcoastbias.com/gallery/albums/purchase/DSCN8078.jpg

Aron9000
06-17-09, 03:41 AM
Speaking of modern classics, here's another one of my favorites. The R107. Hell I guess it could be called a classic now days since the design is 35 years old. I'll go out on a limb and say the SL is the only car to sucessfully combine two seats, a rag top, and luxury without a single bit of sporty inclination.

GM and Lexus tried with the Allante, Reatta, and much newer SC430, but nobody has come close to the SL in my book. Aston Martin has tried to chase the same client, but IMO their convertibles look like crap compared to the sexy coupes they are based on.

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/front_website/octane_interact/modelpicture.php?id=3631

Jesda
06-17-09, 04:22 AM
http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2007/01/c_class_official.jpg
Easily the worst interior in its class. Modern (2000+) MB blows, especially at the entry level.

The 190 wasn't anything special except for a couple high-performance models. It was always too expensive, too small, uninspiring.

Jesda
06-17-09, 04:26 AM
GM and Lexus tried with the Allante, Reatta, and much newer SC430, but nobody has come close to the SL in my book. Aston Martin has tried to chase the same client, but IMO their convertibles look like crap compared to the sexy coupes they are based on.

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/front_website/octane_interact/modelpicture.php?id=3631

I'd get one and order a vanity plate that said "STVJOBS"

Truly a world-class car, then and now.