: 2002 Deville coolant leak

stringfelloe
06-15-09, 02:09 PM
I have a 2002 deville with a leak in the middle of the water pump, it's not overheating and the heater in the car still blows hot, but the service engine light is on. Do I need to change the water pump or just a gasket?

Submariner409
06-15-09, 02:40 PM
A leaking water pump will not normally set a SES. Many past posts on changing Northstar pumps, some with pictures. If it's leaking from "the middle of the pump" do you mean around the pump pulley or on the other side, the water pump housing cover ?

Read the sticky thread at the top of the main Deville page - "How to pull codes" - and get to the link which has .......OBD-II in the URL. The codes and their meanings can be learned from the site, and one will be the code which set the SES.

stringfelloe
06-15-09, 02:49 PM
It's leaking in what I think is the middle of the pulley.

Submariner409
06-15-09, 02:57 PM
Water pump time. Get the special socket with the retainer strap, or you'll need a spare gorilla to help hold the socket in the pump tangs. The pump comes out clockwise after removing the housing cover, usually with some sweat and, remembering the original tang location, goes back in counterclockwise. Might as well replace the tensioner and belt, too. No sense having to go back in.

Either call Luke in Parts at Lindsay Cadillac over there -------> , or www.gmotors.com, or www.gmpartsdirect.com, or www.rockauto.com.

Log into RockAuto and get to your car and find the water pump. Click on the picture or the (!) icon for a view of what you want.....

stringfelloe
06-15-09, 03:32 PM
Okay, that's what I thought, thanks for your help, I will try and get it done tomorrow. THanks for the heads up on taking it off.

00 Deville
06-15-09, 04:01 PM
While you are replacing the water pump. I would replace the old style water pump cover they are prone to leak and have been redesigned. I've had to replace them on both my 00 & 02 Deville's due to leakage.

-redesigned cover p/n 12600022
-redesigned cover gasket p/n 12600020
-redesigned thermostat gasket p/n 12574478

stringfelloe
06-15-09, 05:44 PM
Thanks I will take a look at that too.

Ranger
06-15-09, 06:42 PM
If you have trouble getting the pump to break loose (not everyone does), a few short bursts from an impact wrench will usually do it.

stringfelloe
06-17-09, 12:48 PM
Thanks to everyone for your help. It took a long time to do it. But I got the pump replaced and no signs of leaks. You guys were a life saver, I can't thank you enough. BTW, those stud bolts snap pretty easily if you try to tighten them too tight.