: N* TB and Gas pedal?

cobra671
06-15-09, 09:04 AM
Hello all,

I'll be replacing my tb and gas pedal at the same time, are there any special procedures I need to be concerned with, when it comes to the computer? (i.e., reprogramming or recalibrating)

I'm kinda new to the forum and the cadillac brand as well, but I do enjoy this "new to me" 2005 sts.

Thanks for any replies.

Chris

EChas3
06-15-09, 10:39 AM
What's the reason for the pedal change? The STS throttle is drive-by-wire.

I had problem just after buying my 2006 STS last December. The Service Engine Soon light would come on and the car would barely accelerate. The dealer changed the pedal but it took another visit lasting 3 days! They told me it turned out to be a wiring problem.

cobra671
06-15-09, 10:49 AM
The car threw a p0638 dtc yesterday and it left me stuck in the middle of the road for a good 10 minutes. It was a very unpleasing feeling, so I'm going to shoot first and ask questions later. Besides, the ole lady would be pissed if the car did the same to her, and I wouldn't hear the end of it. :)

What wiring problems did yours have, or did they not bother telling you? I'm curious to find that out. In any case, I'll have a spare pedal w/ electronics and a new throttlebody if I happen to discover something else myself.

EChas3
06-15-09, 10:19 PM
They told me it was near the throttle body actuator. I found some seed husks on the engine cover. I wonder if a squirrel or chipmunk nibbled while it was on the lot. No trouble since!

cobra671
06-16-09, 07:06 AM
Okay. I think I'm going to poke around the engine bay today and inspect the harness, hopefully I'll see something that doesn't look right. But, like you, I haven't had a problem with it since, too. I did see something like what you described under the hood. Where did you buy your car? ;D

EChas3
06-16-09, 05:58 PM
Okay. I think I'm going to poke around the engine bay today and inspect the harness, hopefully I'll see something that doesn't look right. But, like you, I haven't had a problem with it since, too. I did see something like what you described under the hood. Where did you buy your car? ;D

I bought it in December from a Dealer in Saukville WI. Forgive my spelling ... Ernie Von Schledhorn.

They did find and correct damaged wiring but only after changing the pedal. Evidently that isn't an easy task. They had it for more than a day on the pedal even though they had the part locally. To find the real problem they had it three more days. (I had to leave town on business and stuck my wife with the loaner Vibe (-box)).

cobra671
06-16-09, 07:22 PM
LOL.. I bet she wasn't happy about that?

Did they find a bad wire under the hood or under the dash? In the wire loom or at the connectors?

Sorry for all the questions, I like to do my own work on my vehicles so I can keep mental notes of what went wrong and why. Also, it gives me piece of mind, you know?

EChas3
06-17-09, 10:01 AM
They told me it was near the throttle body actuator. I found some seed husks on the engine cover. I wonder if a squirrel or chipmunk nibbled while it was on the lot. No trouble since!

I'd check the wiring harness from the throttle body to the firewall and from the gas pedal to the firewall. What more can you do?

In my case it happened more in damp weather (foggy) but the dealer got it on the second try.

cobra671
06-17-09, 06:18 PM
Thanks E! I'll give it a go this weekend. I really hope to find something.

EChas3
06-17-09, 07:37 PM
Well, I'm willing to bet there's a bulletin on the pedal... Why else would they have been available locally? They were pretty sure that was it.

If it's only happened once, I wouldn't do anything until it happened again. Static can do strange things and these cars are completely dependant upon their electronics.

Good luck.

cobra671
06-17-09, 09:57 PM
Once? Are you kidding me? I got the car on Wednesday of last week, the first time it did it was Sunday, then yesterday, and finally, today. The dealer said that this problem was never reported to them or addressed by them, at least.

The first and second time It threw the p0638, I cleared the code at work(autozone). Then today, I wanted it to throw the code again, and after driving around for an hour or so, it finally came on. Tomorrow I'm going to drive it back up to the dealer to get them to fix it, plus get me new rotors for the front to hopefully cure the clucking noise coming from them.

I guess I'll see what they do for me tomorrow. I have a small ounce of confidence that they will address all my concerns. And if they say that the parts are back ordered, I'll hand them the new pedal assembly and throttlebody I have in the trunk, and see if they will reimburse me for them. Genuine parts to boot, too... :)