: Not a caddy but has the 307

EMB1230
06-14-09, 07:25 PM
About 2 days ago i spotted a 85 Olds CC wagon for a couple hundred on CL. 86K, new brakes exahust from engine back brake and gas lines. went to look at it today. Rusty, but not that rusty for an 85 up north. Motor sounded great, what other things should I look out for on these? Also optioned kinda weird: power locks and driver's seat, but crank windows and no rear defroster, also no 3rd seat option. Original Delco non-digital am/fm tape player and the tape player still works! vinyl/leather seats. It also has the CHMSL so I guess it wasn't just the early FWD Devilles that were the first to get that it has a build date of.

creeker
06-14-09, 07:46 PM
About 2 days ago i spotted a 85 Olds CC wagon for a couple hundred on CL. 86K, new brakes exahust from engine back brake and gas lines. went to look at it today. Rusty, but not that rusty for an 85 up north. Motor sounded great, what other things should I look out for on these? Also optioned kinda weird: power locks and driver's seat, but crank windows and no rear defroster, also no 3rd seat option. Original Delco non-digital am/fm tape player and the tape player still works! vinyl/leather seats. It also has the CHMSL so I guess it wasn't just the early FWD Devilles that were the first to get that it has a build date of.

The 307 is an oldsmobile engine,not cadillac,I just sold my 1988 buick electra wagon,it also had the 307.

akimball442
06-14-09, 08:12 PM
A 'not that rusty' GM vehicle that's been exposed to salt could be a death trap. I owned several when I first got my license- CHECK THE FRAME. If the body has any rust, it's possible the frame is falling out... B and G bodies seem to be the worst offenders. For every bit of rust you see, there are probably 10 hidden spots that are as bad or worse. Inspect it thoroughly.

Starting over the rear wheel, check the frame all the way to the back bumper on both sides. If it looks questionable, don't buy the car for anything other than a parts car. Hit it with a screwdriver nice and hard in a few spots to see if you can poke through, then jump up and down on the back bumper. If the owner objects to these tests, run away. The bumper is supposed to handle a 5 mph hit in the front or rear from another gigantic boat. It should support you with no issues. If it moves significantly, feels flimsy, or falls off... well then you know there's a big problem. Many of them had aluminum inner bumpers that tend to corrode where the steel bolts are fastened.. HMMM.....

I bought an 87 olds wagon for an engine, and had to drive it 1 mile. I floored it once and the rear wheel on the right side went up into the wheel well as the control arm snapped off the frame... This could be very unsafe in a rear end collision.

I've seen some clever 'repairs' involving hose clamps on sway bars, and duct strapping holding gas tanks in place on these cars here in the rust belt. Best to avoid them except for parts to fix up solid examples. Most of them were rot boxes 10 years ago. If they were exposed to salt, they'll be in bad shape. Generally it's fair to say most Oldsmobiles and Buicks were not taken care of as well as our Cadillacs.

I LOVE B and C body Delta 88's and Ninety Eight's. Good ones are extremely hard to find anymore. 10-12 years ago you could pick them up with 60-70K miles or less for a song. Not the case anymore. I think I'd pay more for a solid southern example with high miles than a low mileage one from around here if it's got any rust.

Good luck with your search.

EMB1230
06-14-09, 08:13 PM
I know that the 307 is an Olds engine. I probably should have worded it better. Something along the lines of "has the same drivetrain as the FWBH"

DopeStar 156
06-14-09, 09:43 PM
It also has the CHMSL so I guess it wasn't just the early FWD Devilles that were the first to get that it has a build date of.

Wha? CHMSL?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-14-09, 09:53 PM
Center High Mount Stoplight - Third brakelight

greencadillacmatt
06-15-09, 10:21 PM
Was it in Jackson, MI? I just saw that on there about a week ago. Just something about a full-size wagon. Especially the Oldsmobiles :D