: 1989 Brougham rear bumper

lyleapgmc
06-14-09, 03:56 PM
Hi,

I've been lurking here for a while. Lots of great information but right now nothing that fits my need. I haven't seen anything on the interchange of bumpers. I have an '89 Brougham RWD that needs a rear bumper. I have been told the '87-'89 Brougham bumpers and '80 to '89 Fleetwood bumpers will interchange I believe this means they all have the same part number in the official interchange books. I feel there must be other years and models of bumper that will fit, that is will bolt up and look right from 3 feet away.

Does anyone have any experience with changing bumpers on this car?

Can the bumper impact absorber be extended after it is pushed in about half an inch?

Thank you for your wisdom,

Lyle

jayoldschool
06-14-09, 04:44 PM
80-92 bumpers will interchange, but have rubber trim differences. If that bumper shock won't pop back out, replace it with a used one...

Cadillac Giovanni
06-16-09, 01:03 AM
Yup, I put a 92 bumper on my 89. The trim is different, but it's easily popped out with a screwdriver. The other thing I recall being different are the little parking lights on the side of each "fin". I think the bulb sockets are different, so either save the old lenses to switch over, or rewire it with the 92 harness.

As for the bumper shocks, one of mine was frozen solid, but the other one slid back out pretty easily with some persuasion from a rather large hammer.

Angry Matt
06-16-09, 10:07 PM
The fins on the '90-'92 are very different. The mounting depth of the taillight is off by a significant amount. The marker lenses are different and the light sockets. If your fins and lights are good, just use them. They will bolt up to a '90's bumper the same if you end up with one.

90Brougham350
06-18-09, 09:37 PM
Easy swap, should only take you an hour or two tops. The slightly more difficult swap is an 80-89 bumper onto a 90-92 car. The 90-92's had an extra bulb in the bottom of the tail light, there's no hole in the 80-89 bumpers to accommodate this, but nothing a step-side bit can't fix. Don't forget to rust-proof the new bumper before you put it all back together!

Brian

sven914
06-18-09, 11:42 PM
Last year I ran into a guy with an 85 Fleetwood Brougham. He said that it was 100% stock original.

I noticed that the rear bumper had two rubber stops, paralleled to each other (similar to that of the mid '90's rear bumpers for the Fleetwood (Brougham) as pictured). When I asked him about it, he told me that the rear diff had a higher gear ratio from the factory which gave the him the different bumper. I never saw his car again nor have ever I seen any other '80's RWD with that type of rear bumper. My question is, was that guy talking out of his ass or did Cadillac offer something like that as part of an SNS package?

http://www.motorbase.com/uploads/2008/04/16/fs_eldorardo_deville_fleetwood_023.jpg

brougham
06-19-09, 03:00 PM
The guy is just a moron.

lyleapgmc
06-19-09, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have located one or two bumpers several hours drive from here,

I need to expand on this information request. Do any of the early 80s Deville bumpers work on the '89 RWD Fleetwood Brougham? Anyone that has tried it or at least investigated the possibility.

90Brougham350 urged me to rust proof the new bumper, which I intend to do. What is a good product to use for that purpose?

Thanks again,

Lyle

Angry Matt
06-20-09, 04:07 PM
1980-84 deville bumpers will fit. 100% sure. The only thing you'll have to change is the rubber molding if you want it to match. 1980-89 brougham will also fit. 1990-92 will fit but you will need to switch the fins if you want to keep your style tail light.

About the rubber bumper stops, are you talking about bumperettes? I used to see them in the junk yards all the time, they were just an add on for looks. I actually wouldn't mind finding a pair now.