: '00 STS in dash cd player

Fat Brian
06-14-09, 09:10 AM
The in dash cd player is making a constant grinding noise and won't work if a cd is inserted. I have a 6 disc changer that works fine until I can fix the other one but how do I stop that incessant grinding ?

N*Caddy
06-14-09, 01:51 PM
Mechanical issues are common in CD players (well same with Tape players and so on).
You will have to take the stereo out and open the case. The CD part is a self-contained module held in place by 3 screws (two in the back and one in front accessible after removing the front fascia). It is connected to the HU motherboard with a multiple conductor cable (side by side). The front fascia is held in place by 5-6 locking kind of clips (same idea as in the Ď96-í97 models). Care to be taken when releasing the clips (has to be done by inserting shims to keep them released) and be advised they break EASY, donít pry more than you need (and do-it progressively while inserting the shim). Also the front fascia is connected to the motherboard with a banner cable. Release the locking clip (pull up that gray half of the connector) and disconnect the cable before removing the fascia. Avoid flexing the banner cable (especially at the point where is soldered in the front PCB).
With the CD module out you can try to diagnose the mechanical issue or alternatively buy another HU and swap the CD player module (so you donít have to pay the VIN removal procedure). You can do-it for as little as $35 if you get a head unit from your local wreck yard. To save you the trouble of taking the HU apart, you can just swap the HU all together, but it might cost you another $35 - $100 for the VIN removal. If you go by this option make sure you have a legal proof of purchase and the VIN of the donor car. The dealer will ask you for that information. I heard some US dealers do provide this VIN removal service as a curtsey. Maybe you should shop around for a while.

Fat Brian
06-14-09, 05:28 PM
I saw a HU just like mine on ebay, the price was right so I'll try to pick it up soon. I believe the motor is burned up in the cd player, when you put a disc it it flashes cd error and spits the disc out.

ThumperPup
06-14-09, 06:53 PM
I saw a HU just like mine on ebay, the price was right so I'll try to pick it up soon. I believe the motor is burned up in the cd player, when you put a disc it it flashes cd error and spits the disc out.

thats the exact same thing that mine is going maybe you can take this time to upgrade your unit
im having navi unite from a 2002 up goign in my car next month :)
not cheap but i bet you it will be worth it