: Found a place in Lisle, moving June 29th . . .

C0RSA1R
06-13-09, 03:43 PM
Well, it looks like I'm finally moving to Lisle. The apartment I want is in the Arboretum Villages complex - conveniently located less than 100 yards from my office building - and is a pretty nice one-bedroom. I took the smallest floor plan since utes are not included in the rent, and I want to make sure I leave myself plenty of room to have fun in town. Since my girl is not coming with me (:nono:), it's just me and my Caddy. Actually, I'm probably not going to have my car out there right away.

The company is flying me out on the 29th of June, because ops shift from our NY office to the Lisle office on July 1st. The apartment doesn't open up until July 10th, so my company will put me up in a hotel for that time. I'm not keen on driving my car full of my stuff out there only to park it at the hotel for over a week, so the plan is to have my father drive it up on July 9th, help me move in on July 10th and the next day, and then for him to fly back to Albany on the 12th.

Or, that was the plan. My father is desperately afraid of flying - so now it looks like my father will be borrowing my grandmothers SUV to bring (more) of my stuff with him when I move in, and then a few weeks later, my mother and sister will drive up to visit me in a two-car convoy. My mother will drive my Caddy, and my sister will drive my mother's Ford Focus in trail. Then, they both drive back to NY in the Focus and leave my ETC. Fortunately, my company will pay for me to take a cab to and from work, supermarkets, and other places for a few weeks until my car arrives. It's disappointing, but the only other option for my father would have been taking the train, and he's not too keen on that.

It'll all work out - and the good thing is, my morning commute from the apartment to work is a five-minute walk down a conrete path, across the grassy divider between the complex parking lot and the office parking lot, and then I'm there. I took pictures, but I'm at work right now so I have no way of posting them; standing twenty feet from my office building, I took a picture of the building, then pivoted and snapped a picture of the apartment complex through the trees that seperate them. I could, quite literally, stand on my balcony and wave to my coworkers as they toil away.

Anyway, it's a second floor one-bedroom apartment, central air, plenty of closet space, cable ready, and the complex has a pretty decent list of amenities like a pool, health club, etc. I'll probably opt for garage parking. Combined utes should run about another $60-$80/month, which is reasonable.

So, thanks to everyone who gave me helpful information about the area and what is has to offer, and thanks especially to Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood and 96Fleetwood for taking me around a little and showing me the area. Much appreciated guys. Oh, and if anyone knows any cheap furniture places (I'm buying my bed and mattress new, but couches, lounge chairs, kitchen tables, end tables, and related items I'm looking to pick up cheap as long as they are in decent condition) or anyone selling or getting rid of anything, let me know. I'll be looking for some stuff to start my furnishings with starting the 9th or 10th of July.

tman2093
06-13-09, 04:16 PM
Your father might consider renting a car to drive back. I don't know what kind of costs would be involved though.

96Fleetwood
06-14-09, 12:20 AM
Your welcome! Thank you for dinner! It is always good to meet another enthusiast and chat cars.

Give me a call when you get back. Your new place is ~3-4 miles from me.

RightTurn
06-14-09, 12:22 AM
:dance:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-14-09, 01:10 AM
Nice. Your father should consider taking the train. My Dad and my Sister took a train to Pennsylvania last year and again to Texas this year and they really liked it. Both of their trips left in the evening so most of the journey was in the night while they are sleeping. If you have never slept on a train, its very nice. There is a gentle rocking that is like sleeping on a boat. Best nights rest you will ever have.

Anyway, if you are looking for furniture, try Ikea. There is one in Bolingbrook (about 10 miles away but just off I-355). They are a Swedish company that makes tons of furniture for great prices. You have to put it together but it is totally worth it. The best part is a lot of the furniture they make is designed for the smaller apartments they have in Europe, so they have all sorts off cool tables that can fold out to twice their size and such. The store is HUGE and has just about everything you could imagine. I could borrow my Dad's van or my Mom's Blazer if need be to tranport it to your apartment, just give me a call. I can also get you a 10% discount at Wal-Mart but our furniture pretty much sucks.

You will be here in time for Eyes to the Skies and Ribfest, two huge Fourth of July festivals in the area. Eyes to the Skies is held in the park area around Lisle High School, well within walking distance from your apartment but not so much if you are in a hotel 2 miles away at the time. Ribfest is held in Naperville and is also fantastic.

eXile
06-14-09, 11:25 PM
Shame I missed you needing all of this information Corsair. I live in Barrington, a ways north from you guys but summer for me is rapidly approaching and I am in search for something to do other than work out, eat, sleep, chill with friends, and surf the web.

If you wanna head over to Ikea I can nab my moms GMC Enovy XL, if Fleetwood cant nab one of his cars for ya. I need to find a new desk anyways.... (3 monitors on this small desk just isnt quite cutting it) :D

Id love to have a chance to meet you, dirt cheap, and fleetwood. I may be a little younger than you guys, but I love Cadillacs just as much as you guys. :)

Hopefully you guys can teach me something about em I don't know, which is alot, Ive been trying to read and absorb as much as I can. But nothing beats chatting with people that know what they are talking about and actually seeing it being demonstrated/taught to you.

Are you going to head over to the Chicago meet in August? I know I am going to try to with my baby...

Anyways, dont mean to intervein or invite myself along with you guys, just giving ya the heads up that I am here and looking to get together with some guys from here just to chat and get some information on my car. Let me know how the moving works out and if there is anything I can do to help. You are a little drive from me but I will do what I can to help you out, glad to hear/see you weren't laid off and rather just got to move. A shame your girlfriend couldn't come with, but, you can still enjoy your time here. :P

~X

gdwriter
06-15-09, 01:28 AM
Anyway, if you are looking for furniture, try Ikea. There is one in Bolingbrook (about 10 miles away but just off I-355). They are a Swedish company that makes tons of furniture for great prices. You have to put it together but it is totally worth it. The best part is a lot of the furniture they make is designed for the smaller apartments they have in Europe, so they have all sorts off cool tables that can fold out to twice their size and such. The store is HUGE and has just about everything you could imagine.Ikea is a great idea. I bought a leather sleeper sofa and recliner last fall for just under $1,600. Both are very comfortable, as is the sleeper bed according to my holiday guests. For the price, Ikea is very hard to beat.

Jesda
06-15-09, 01:58 AM
Goodwill has brand new leather couches sometimes for under $400. They get them as leftovers from stores that have gone out of business.

Playdrv4me
06-15-09, 03:50 AM
I second the Goodwill/Salvation Army idea and I also second a couple of the suggestions above for your father.

Budget and Enteprise BOTH do one-way rentals. Ironically I MIGHT be moving up to Saint Louis on the 29th as well, and I had secured a 2 day one way rental of a Jeep Grand Cherokee from Tampa to STL for all of 55.00 through Budget. It would be 21.00 if I just wanted 1 day. Now, generally it depends on where they NEED cars, and since the winter vacation season is over, Budget is trying to move cars from the southeast back to the north right now. In any case, it is an option.

If your dad has plenty of time, the train is also a FANTASTIC idea. I JUMP at the chance to take Amtrak whenever I can, it is such a relaxing ride. You get to meet great people (if you want to), and experience the countryside and cities from a passenger's perspective. It's really great and alot less hassle than flying.

Jesda
06-15-09, 12:59 PM
Ironically I MIGHT be moving up to Saint Louis on the 29th as well

But where will you live?

Playdrv4me
06-15-09, 02:36 PM
But where will you live?

Cahokia.

Jesda
06-15-09, 03:18 PM
Cahokia.

There's more action in Caseyville.

Playdrv4me
06-15-09, 05:33 PM
There's more action in Caseyville.

East STL.

hueterm
06-15-09, 08:31 PM
Sauget...

Playdrv4me
06-15-09, 08:38 PM
Sauget...

Oh dear.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-16-09, 01:35 AM
Ian, does this mean you are riding shotgun with Jesda to the Chicago meet?

Playdrv4me
06-16-09, 06:29 PM

Hope so!

C0RSA1R
06-16-09, 06:29 PM
Sorry I've been sort of neglecting my thread - my computer broke on Saturday and I am having it fixed, so I've only been able to use the Internet at work. All of these are good ideas - I'll check out that IKEA on the web and see what they've got. I was also thinking Craigslist would be helpful for cheap furniture. As for taking the train, that is a possiblity I never even considered, but I'll see how much a ticket costs and figure out if it's doable. It probably will be. I guess if I end up needing help moving, I know who to call. I really appreciate the offers - depending on how big the inside of the car is (it's a Saturn Vue), that help could be a real time-saver.

iowasevillests
06-16-09, 07:31 PM
I would 2nd the comment about Ikea, I moved out to northern Cincinnati for work for 3 months last summer and I got a couple small things to add to the place that furniture rental didn't cover for almost nothing, at the end of the summer I brought some back with me or donated them depending on what it was/size. And even if you don't get anything if you've never been to an Ikea you've got to go just so see the store cause its a completely different shopping experience than you'll ever get anywhere else.

Far as the car goes you might check in with the company as when we move for work they'll ship so many cars for you for free as part of the relocation package, so that might make things easier if your company will do that.

Jesda
06-17-09, 01:12 AM

No. He thinks everyone in Chicago lives in an igloo.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-17-09, 01:34 AM
There are two Ikea stores in the area. The one in Shaumburg is actually 3 stories tall and has escalators that move your shopping carts from level to level. Its really cool. The one in Bolingbrook is only two stories but it has a larger floor plan. Ikeas are very cool stores.

Their online stuff kinda sucks though, mostly because its all in another language. You really need to go to the store to see things in person to get a good grip on what you are looking at.

Playdrv4me
06-17-09, 01:37 AM
There are two Ikea stores in the area. The one in Shaumburg is actually 3 stories tall and has escalators that move your shopping carts from level to level. Its really cool. The one in Bolingbrook is only two stories but it has a larger floor plan. Ikeas are very cool stores.

Their online stuff kinda sucks though, mostly because its all in another language. You really need to go to the store to see things in person to get a good grip on what you are looking at.

Those stores are awesome. They have full blown restaurants inside them. I generally like to do things that are close to food.

Rodya234
06-17-09, 01:37 AM
No. He thinks everyone in Chicago lives in an igloo.

We do. :p

gary88
06-17-09, 02:20 AM
Here anything above freezing is warm.

Then some days anything above 0 is warm.

gdwriter
06-17-09, 02:42 AM
Sorry I've been sort of neglecting my thread - my computer broke on Saturday and I am having it fixed, so I've only been able to use the Internet at work. All of these are good ideas - I'll check out that IKEA on the web and see what they've got. I was also thinking Craigslist would be helpful for cheap furniture.Andy, here's what I got at Ikea last fall:

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs020.snc1/2642_59450938093_776743093_1424666_4665693_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs020.snc1/2642_59450948093_776743093_1424667_2220295_n.jpg

The sleeper sofa was $999; I think it was $100-$200 less for a regular couch, but I like having the sleeper sofa for when I have company. The recliner was $549. There's a non-recliner version of this same chair, and you can get a matching ottoman if you prefer; that's what I was going to buy until I tried out the recliner. As mentioned before, this is very comfortable furniture and high quality. It's certainly sturdy, as I've found from putting it in my living room.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-17-09, 03:29 AM
Gary, do you really need a globe in your living room? :D

gdwriter
06-17-09, 03:46 AM
Gary, do you really need a globe in your living room? :DNo, I just love maps.

CadillacGurl
06-17-09, 03:38 PM
I got a bunch of stuff at Ikea for my apartment at the one in Bolingbrook. Also I recommend Target too. :thumbsup:

C0RSA1R
06-17-09, 05:00 PM
Ikea sounds like a clear winner then. Those are really nice chairs and couches (like that globe too). I'm aiming to get some stuff new, and some stuff used, so I guess the best way to decide what to buy new is to check out the store and see what they've got.

C0RSA1R
06-17-09, 05:08 PM
Also, any flea markets around town, or old, dusty antique shops? I'd like to get some stuff to hang on my walls or put on my bookcases that don't bring to mind images of a dorm room. So, my old Bud Lite neon sign is not coming with me, nor is my poster of Pam Anderson, nor is my old and dusty poster of the Universe and the Solar System (which still calls Pluto a planet - since it was printed in like 1994).

Actually, for that reason and that reason only (Pluto is a planet, orbital mechanics and "clearing the neighborhood" be damned!), the Universe poster is coming with me. Astrophysicists are born killjoys.

Where is the Target at, CaddyGurl? I was all over town twice and didn't see it (by all over town, I mean a straight shot from the hotel to work and back to the hotel, with one detour provided by cab to Butterfield Oaks Apartments [too far] and another detour through Ogden and Downers Grove provided by 96Fleetwood [thanks again dude!]). The problem, of course, is they put me in the Marriott right by that Freedom Plaza in Naperville, which means that the White Chocolate Grill (overpriced, but tasty), Morton's Steakhouse (excellent, with a great bar), and some Italian place (first night, bleary-eyed meal, but cheap for the quality) were right there. Even with nigh unlimited cab reimbursement from my company, that much good food nearby means I don't get the urge to do much venturing, 'specially after finding the nice apartments next to my office building.

gdwriter
06-17-09, 08:22 PM
Ikea sounds like a clear winner then. Those are really nice chairs and couches (like that globe too). I'm aiming to get some stuff new, and some stuff used, so I guess the best way to decide what to buy new is to check out the store and see what they've got.Good furniture is worth paying for, but you don't have to buy the expensive stuff to get good quality. A friend of mine who makes very good money bought all the furniture for his house at Thomasville, and it looks beautiful, but it's not particularly comfortable (even he says so). So make sure you sit in whatever you consider buying. There is some stuff at Ikea that I wouldn't last five minutes in. But the Vreta models I bought are extremely comfy. Looks like the closest Ikea would be Bollingbrook, 750 E. Boughton Road, just west of I-355.

Where is the Target at, CaddyGurl? I was all over town twice and didn't see itProbably the closest to Lisle is in Woodridge, 2333 63rd St., just east of I-355. So once you have access to wheels, it would be pretty easy to hit both places and compare. Target has lots of nice stuff for setting up housekeeping (not sure how much stuff you need). I probably spent $1,000-$2,000 at Target on stuff for the house, both with my first house in 1994 and my second in 2003.

BTW, I got that globe at Target. Ikea has lots of housewares as well; not sure how prices between Ikea and Target compare.

CadillacGurl
06-17-09, 08:36 PM
Where is the Target at, CaddyGurl?

There is the one in Woodridge that Gary recommended or the one in Lombard which is a Supertarget! :D It has a grocery store too along with clothing and electronics, etc.

60 Yorktown Shopping Ctr
Lombard, IL 60148

Also Yorktown is a decent mall and it has a lot of nice restaurant around there: PF Changs, RA Sushi, Harry Caray's, Buca De Beppo and a lot more. They're also putting in the Patio, I believe it should be open by now. Gary88 can tell you all about the Patio :drool: (Also there's a Dick's Sporting Goods store too!) :yup:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-17-09, 10:52 PM
The one in Woodridge is the closest. I used to work there before crossing over to Wal-Mart. Target is home of the devil. :D

Wal-mart has caught up to Target in terms of items and item quality, and I'm not just saying that because I work there. We have several new domestics lines like Mainstays and Canopy that make some pretty nice stuff. The Canopy towels are super soft and are like $8 each.

gary88
06-17-09, 11:22 PM
Actually, for that reason and that reason only (Pluto is a planet, orbital mechanics and "clearing the neighborhood" be damned!), the Universe poster is coming with me. Astrophysicists are born killjoys.

Pluto and its irregular orbit can gtfo of our solar system. :duck:

C0RSA1R
06-18-09, 12:14 PM
Wow, this is some good stuff. So Ikea, Wal-Mart, and a SuperTarget - stopping for a meal at the Patio on the way. Gotta love having options. Hopefully my computer will be fixed soon so I can look these places up. I'd do it here at work, but we're using equipment from the Jurassic Era, so forget trying to use Google Earth (or, let's be honest, even Google Maps :nono:). At this rate, deciding where to get stuff will be more time-consuming than the actual purchasing :).

Don't hate on Pluto. How would you feel if you had once been a a lowly Kuiper Belt Object, and suddenly people raised you to planet status, but then you had it all taken away less than a hundred years later? More insults like that, and Pluto may just perturb it's way right into the inner solar system, and then we've got problems.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-18-09, 11:21 PM
I'd do it here at work, but we're using equipment from the Jurassic Era, so forget trying to use Google Earth (or, let's be honest, even Google Maps :nono:).

The program we use for inventory management at work is from 1987.

C0RSA1R
06-19-09, 05:09 PM
The garage door opener I replaced at my mother's house last year was from the fifties, 1957 or 1958. It had a cartoon atomic nucleus on the side (back then, an atomic nucleus graphic was used to denote anything high-tech), and no less than thirty vacuum tubes inside the steel case. Heavy son of a gun, that one.

Oddly, though the new one is faster, it's also much noisier. :hmm: