: Just got a 1989 Fleetwood Brougham

smacktime
06-13-09, 03:10 PM
I just brought a 1989 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham for $1500. It seems like i got a great deal on it. The only down fall is that the Vinyl top is getting bad. Anyway, i just installed a flip screen dvd player, and two 12 inch square kicker L7's. The only problem with my A/V set up is when the screen flips out, it leans foward a little bit. Is there a kit out there that would actually extend the player out a little bit so the screen doesn't hit the air vents.

Also I want to have straight pipes installed but i can't seem to find a brand that makes straight pipes for my car. Which ones would you recommend?

Is there a website where i can look at different types of Vinyl fabrics for my top?

This is also my first Carb engine. My last cars were a 1988 Sentra, 1983 Volvo diesel :histeric: (got it for $100 didn't know it was diesel. Was my work car because other car was being worked on.) s-13 1989 240sx, b-13 1996 200sx, and a 2000 Celica GT which i would never want to own ever again :thepan:. Besides that, should it be a good idea to get the whole Carb replaced?

My apologizes if these been answered before in a different thread, but the problem with that is that i am in the US Navy and I am in the middle of the ocean and the internet takes forever. I mean it takes about 5 minutes to load google sometimes. :bonkers:

Thanks.

csbuckn
06-13-09, 04:56 PM
There is a dash kit to make the deck stick out more, my friend has it on his 88. If you really want to do straight pipes, get the stock kit and cut out the muffler and cat. you should just rebuild the carb unless you get a good price for a rebuilt one. Glad to see you stepped up from the imports.

smacktime
06-13-09, 05:04 PM
Do you know who makes this dash kit and what do you mean by the 'stock kit?'

csbuckn
06-14-09, 01:57 AM
I dont remember who makes the dash kit but he probably got it at walmart and I think they sell them as two different styles(flush mount or sticking out) As far as the exhaust...the shop I got mine done at ran true duals with no cats for three hundred bucks and it was cheaper if I didnt get mufflers. A friends caprice has straight pipe and, to me, its just too much for a street car. You can put some big flowmasters or something like that to get that aggressive sound and still be smooth and consistant. Just remember, the more HP you put in the car, the faster that trannys gonna go bad.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-14-09, 02:41 AM
Welcome to the world of Cadillacs. I hope you find it a happy place to be. :)

Nobody makes straight pipes for it, they will have to be custom made. I would not worry about replacing the carb unless something is not right. Even then, don't replace it right off the bat, it probably just needs to be tuned.

csbuckn
06-15-09, 11:04 AM
my friend said he got the dash kit from audio king(ultimate electronics)

sven914
06-15-09, 04:53 PM
You can make your own pipes from Auto Zone exhaust pieces. When I was in high school, my muffler rotted out, and I was in an automotive class, so did a little customizing. I bolted a tail tip straight out of the cat, and had it kick out in front of the back tire (looked real good). To do it to the drivers side I would have only had to cut a hole in the crossover pipe and weld an exhaust pipe coming from that. I never did the other side because I had no skills with a welder and no money for another catalytic converter (on that car, they can be substitutes for mufflers, and will keep the emissions in check, if anyone were to look). After six months, I got tired of the look of one kick out pipe (and the tail pipe was still over the rear axle, because the muffler shop welded a brand new pipe to a rotted muffler, and I didn't want to break it getting it off) so I had the exhaust put back to factory.