: Trunk Raise On Release?

prospyder
06-13-09, 12:52 PM
My 2007 STS remote trunk releases (the key fobs and the button in the driver's door) both work properly and unlock the trunk when pressed. However, most cars I've owned with such trunk release features will not only unlock the trunk, but the trunk lid will also rise open. This is the case when the small shock absorber-like assemblies are under pressure when the lid is closed.
The trunk lid on my STS does not rise. Is that the case with all STS trunks? I would find it much more convenient if the trunk lid would raise when the remote releases are operated. Does anyone know if a stronger set of air pistons/dampers would allow the trunk lid to raise? I've read that STSs equipped with rear spoilers may have heavier-duty piston/dampers. Is that true?
Are there any other options to get it to do so?

c5 rv
06-13-09, 01:03 PM
My CTS did the same. So does my current MKZ. The MKZ doesn't have a hand hold on the back so I have to wedge my fingers between the lid and the bumper cover to raise it. The DTS / Lucerne has the old fashioned trunk lid that opens fully when you hit the button. I believe the Lexus LS460 has power lift and lower on the trunk lid.

KARL DAHLEN
06-13-09, 01:52 PM
Ask an automotive engineer why this is. I would rather have to manually raise the truck lid than have water pour in the trunk when it quickly pops open. I have had it both ways. There is a trade off.

Force-1
06-13-09, 07:09 PM
I have the Luxury Performance Package on my car. I imagine the extra weight of the spoiler would prevent the trunk from popping up.

LLCoolJson
06-13-09, 08:07 PM
I like that the lid dosen't pop open....if by accident i hit the button while its in my pocket and don't realize it, atleast the trunk isnt open where anybody could walk by and take items from my trunk....But on the other hand would be nice to have it pop all the way open when your hands are full...

amgqmp1
06-13-09, 08:25 PM
Ask an automotive engineer why this is. I would rather have to manually raise the truck lid than have water pour in the trunk when it quickly pops open. I have had it both ways. There is a trade off.

I'm always in a hurry when opening the trunk in the rain...I tend to open it too fast and get water into the trunk. I guess it's impossible to engineer away human behavior. :alchi:

EChas3
06-13-09, 08:28 PM
I like that the lid dosen't pop open....if by accident i hit the button while its in my pocket and don't realize it, atleast the trunk isnt open where anybody could walk by and take items from my trunk...

This was not uncommon in my Lincoln.

But on the other hand would be nice to have it pop all the way open when your hands are full...

Classic trade-off. IMHO since the STS has a trunk latch, they made the right decision.

ifmracin
06-15-09, 12:02 PM
Hmm. I almost never hit the release, just walk up to it and lift the lid. No need to press buttons if the fob is in your pocket.

next2pool
06-15-09, 01:05 PM
GM uses a couple of trunk lid hinge designs. Some cars have the "goose neck" type that uses either springs or a torsion bar-those usually pop up but are adjustable. Then there is the articulated design with gas struts. Those usually don't pop up because of the over-center aspect as the lid moves up. I prefer the STS type since the hinge doesn't intrude into the trunk.