: NAV install good, but problem...GPS

miscreant
07-17-04, 03:47 PM
As some may see, I installed a factory Nav unit into my base CTS over the week. Everything works (still need to hook up the voice prompt lines) exept I get a GPS calculation error "Out of Range" (on the GPS screen, no satellites are shown, and no info is shown except for under Calculation is says "out of range"). Any idea what this means? Am I not getting the signal from the Onstar GPS, or is there something that needs to be reset/recalibrated?

sefa01
07-17-04, 04:27 PM
My understanding of the navigation system is that you cannot plot a route of more than 1,200 miles (if it's longer you do it in sections). I can't give a technical answer, but I wonder is somehow yours is set up so that the destination, at least according to the nav system, is more than 1,200 miles away.

07-17-04, 04:38 PM
is the "out of range" notice in all locations? Try going to higher ground. I sometimes get that notice when I get into low spots on hilly areas. Is there a remote antenna on the system?

Doug

miscreant
07-17-04, 11:13 PM
Here's the weird thing, and maybe I'm just being stupid, but...

When I drive, the car indicator on the navigation moves, turns, backs up, etc on the nav map. The car indicator just moves too fast (goes about 2 miles for every mile I actually travel, which means when I adjust the vehicle position for say my house, and start down the road, the map will say I passed a road which I haven't even come up yet. By the time I reach the middle of town, I'm on the other side of the town according to the map. How could it do this without having a GPS signal?

thebigjimsho
07-18-04, 01:52 AM
The N arrow will show you when the GPS is making contact with the car and when its not. If you're not getting anything on the satellite positioning screen, then I'd assume you have a connection problem at some point.

As to the distance factor, I wouldn't think it would get so far off base in such a short time. Obviously, the Nav system should be able to go offline from a satellite signal for a time by using vehicle speed and such. I could understand some positional error by not having contact, but not that much.

miscreant
07-18-04, 03:01 AM
I think I answered my own question here by research. From everything I can tell, the Navigation system in the CTS is a Blaup unkt system. Most Blaup unkt use vehicle speed sensors and an internal gyroscope to provide dead reckoning incase of GPS failure. I bet that is what I am experiencing and why it's not accurate.

Innocent Bystander
07-19-04, 01:48 PM
Isn't there a separate GPS antenna under the I/P pad? If I remember, it's on the driver side near the very front of the windshield. It should have its own mini coax cable to the NAV unit independent of any OnStar antennae.

miscreant
07-19-04, 03:34 PM
Isn't there a separate GPS antenna under the I/P pad? If I remember, it's on the driver side near the very front of the windshield. It should have its own mini coax cable to the NAV unit independent of any OnStar antennae.
Yeah, I think so - most schematics say it's not needed with the onstar system, but it shows in the parts system as non-export, so.... I ordered it today, overnight from Lansing.

ronr
07-19-04, 04:48 PM
I have a friend at Bose who told me the Nav system was made by Denso, as opposed to Blaup unkt(Bosch)

miscreant
07-31-04, 11:46 PM
I have a friend at Bose who told me the Nav system was made by Denso, as opposed to Blaup unkt(Bosch)
No, the other Cadillac's are Denso. The flip panel systems are Denso (Deville, Seville, SRX, XLR), but the CTS and V systems are Delphi units contracted to Blaup unkt. I figured it out when I took my face plate off my unit and it says "Blaup unkt" inside under the main DVD drive. Also, you can tell by the connectors - noone else uses those 20 pin offset connectors for nav except Blaup unkt.