: Cooling Temps.

Marshall
07-17-04, 02:46 PM
Hi, Folks I'm a new 94 El Dorado Northstar W/ 110000 miles owner.
Question, The indicated cooling temps. I'm seeing the following:
223 idle parked, also this is when the cooling fans start, fans run till temp drops to 216 then off. Normal?
Also as I scrol thru the info pages I,m not finding a oil press.indication??
If this has been discussed in detail before, sorry and please direct me to the thread.
Thanks

growe3
07-17-04, 06:12 PM
Your temperatures are quite normal. Seeing occasional run-ups to 234 on hot humid days in slow traffic is not unusual.

There is no oil pressure indicator. It tends to read low compared to most other engines, so I think they left it off to keep us from worrying about it :) .

One very important thing about these engines is the coolant. It must be changed every two years and replenished with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze, AND two tubes of Bars Leak Gold Seal (or six tablets). The Bars Leak must be placed in one of the radiator hoses not the surge tank. I would put it in the hose that goes to the thermostat hosing.

Your engine uses the GREEN coolant; do not use the orange type. These coolants use different chemicals for corrosion protection. Each will do a fine job cooling, but the green coolant deposits silicates to protect your engine, the orange uses organophosphates. The silicates already deposited in your engine will keep; the orange coolant from working properly to protect it from corrosion. This is the main cause of head gasket failures, $$$$ to repair. I would make this a priority to get done first.

Another thing to be aware of is a couple of oil eccentricities with the Northstar.

. One quart of oil used in 900-1,200 miles is considered normal.
The engine has a very aggressive cylinder hone job and the piston rings are a very low-tension type. Thus you will use some oil but the engine is pretty much bullet proof except for the head gaskets that fail, usually due to poor coolant maintenance.

These engines like to stretch out (read WOT), and this will help keep the oil consumption down by exercising the rings and blowing out the carbon buildup in the combustion chambers. If you see a lot of dust blow out the exhaust when you hit the throttle, it needs more exercise until it doesn’t do it anymore.

. The oil life monitor will display a message when it is time to change the oil. It is a very reliable monitor and you should learn to trust it. It will come on when you reach about 10% of the oil life remaining so you can plan you oil change easily.

. The oil pan holds 7 ˝ quarts of oil. The oil level is correct when you check the oil on a warm/hot engine and the oil is no more than half way into the dipstick’s index marks. Overfilling just causes more oil to be sucked up and burned.

. I recommend using a quality brand name oil (Pennzoil, Quaker, Mobil, etc) with a 10-30 viscosity rating.

-George

Marshall
07-17-04, 08:09 PM
George,
Thanks for the quick reply[ I'll sleep tonight].Wife and I just returned from shopping with as much stuff [Costco] as would fill our Blazer-read great trunk space and no danger of a stray can of corn beaning you in a abrupt stop!!The temps. on the return as follows: 70mph, 98 degrees, long steep grades, A/C on of course:highest temp. observed 237. I checked and it does have green antifreeze. I was thinking of having a professional radiator flush, is there any cautions I should mention to the radiator shop?[as if they would listen]
I've ordered the factory shop manuals, hope they are detailed and concise.
I'm a aircraft mechanic by trade so I'm a bit picky <anal> about mech. things.
Thanks again for the info,& Boy does this car ride great and scoot!!!
Marshall

growe3
07-17-04, 08:49 PM
Hi Marshall,
237 degrees sounds a bit high for the conditions, but not alarming.

I would NOT recommend a flush of the cooling system. Just drain as much as you can from the radiator (drain is located on the drivers side of the car, at the very bottom). If you are energetic get under the car and remove the two block plugs for a more complete change.

Remove the radiator hose from the thermostat housing, and pour two tubes of Bars Leak Gold Seal (or six tablets of same) in the hose. This is what is put in at the factory, you can get at many stores, Wal-Mart is a popular place to get it.

This would also be the time to replace the thermostat. Very easy to do, two small bolts with 10 mm heads and its off. I would recommend using a dealer part here, and make sure the gasket comes with it, the original will usually be swollen and you will not be able to use it over.

Push on the water pump belt tensioners to be sure it moves freely and can apply its full load on the belt. These tensioners tend to bind over the years and not fully apply their load and the belt will slip at higher speeds causing the engine to run hotter than it should. If it does not feel right apply a little oil on the pivot and work it until it feels free.

After making sure the hose clamps are all tight, pre mix and refill with a 50/50 mix of coolant. Run with the surge tank cap off until the thermostat opens. Surge tank should be filled to about 2 ˝ inches below the top. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to be sure all of the air is bled out of the system.

The factory manuals by Helms are great and will be a real asset. One of the first things to get familiar with is how to read and interrupt the error codes that come up. Some are no problem and will go away by themselves; others can help you fix the car properly with out an expensive dealership visit. Even if you decide to not do a repair you will be an informed customer.

Good Luck, George

Pjs
07-18-04, 09:32 AM
Marshall,
When you refill your anti-freeze, make sure that you use distilled water in your system. I've found that Prestone makes a 50-50 premix w/ distilled and filtered water. It runs around $7.50/gal @ my local parts stores but Walmart has it for under $6. Using the stuff already mixed is a real time saver.

Patrick

flomofo
03-16-05, 11:16 PM
in my factory manual it says to use the orange coolant with no silicates and it briefly and vaguely mentions the sealer to be put it in.

BeelzeBob
03-16-05, 11:26 PM
in my factory manual it says to use the orange coolant with no silicates and it briefly and vaguely mentions the sealer to be put it in.

93/94/95 Northstars came with the green silicated coolant and that is the recommended coolant for them.

The orange DexCool coolant was introduced in 1996 and that is the correct coolant for a 96 and later Northstar. I think flomofo's car is a 1996 so the DexCool is correct. The original poster had a 94 and the green silicatd coolant is correct for it.

The coolant supplement pellets are recommended regardless of model year or coolant for the Northstar engines.

outlaw1369
03-17-05, 10:37 AM
My 96 N* has green coolant in it. Ok to switch to the orange or should I continue running the green?

turbojimmy
03-17-05, 10:54 AM
How are you seeing actual coolant temps (versus just the gauge)? Do the Eldos have digital instrumentation, or is there a trick in getting the temps to display on the DIC?

Just curious....

Jim

BeelzeBob
03-17-05, 11:07 AM
My 96 N* has green coolant in it. Ok to switch to the orange or should I continue running the green?

If someone switched it over to green then I would just stay with it. No sense in changing back to DexCool once the system has been contaminated with the silicated green coolant. You'll just need to drain and refresh the system with new 50/50 coolant/distilled water every 2-3 years/24-35K miles.

haymaker
03-17-05, 12:02 PM
How are you seeing actual coolant temps (versus just the gauge)? Do the Eldos have digital instrumentation, or is there a trick in getting the temps to display on the DIC?

Just curious....

Jim
Jim. I have a ’97 SLS with the analog gauge, I to wanted a digital readout of the coolant temp. Nitrous1 in post #6 of this thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25463&highlight=temp+readout+dic explained the procedure in steps in order to attain a digital coolant temp readout in the DIC. I works great, one of the things you may notice is the analog temp gauge’s dampened area of movement at the midrange of the gauge’s travel (at least I noticed it on my gauge).
Good luck

cadillacmike68
03-17-05, 04:49 PM
Jim. I have a ’97 SLS with the analog gauge, I to wanted a digital readout of the coolant temp. Nitrous1 in post #6 of this thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25463&highlight=temp+readout+dic explained the procedure in steps in order to attain a digital coolant temp readout in the DIC. I works great, one of the things you may notice is the analog temp gauge’s dampened area of movement at the midrange of the gauge’s travel (at least I noticed it on my gauge).
Good luck

The link comes up a blank page!. care to elaborate? :confused:

I saw fluctuations in my gauge (2000 eldo convertible) that i tracked down to a fan motor being unplugged! so the gauge can really help, if you pay attention to it:thumbsup:

I recommend flushing because that way, you can get rid of any gelled up coolant in the heater core. Be sure not to use plain tap water wen refilling (i have a purified water system so I can use what comes out of my tap :sneaky: ) If you don't heed this, you'll be sorry when all the mineral deposits despoit themselves all over your cooling system. :(

haymaker
03-17-05, 05:09 PM
The link comes up a blank page!. care to elaborate? :confused:

I saw fluctuations in my gauge (2000 eldo convertible) that i tracked down to a fan motor being unplugged! so the gauge can really help, if you pay attention to it:thumbsup:

I recommend flushing because that way, you can get rid of any gelled up coolant in the heater core. Be sure not to use plain tap water wen refilling (i have a purified water system so I can use what comes out of my tap :sneaky: ) If you don't heed this, you'll be sorry when all the mineral deposits despoit themselves all over your cooling system. :(
I just tried the link from my posted message and it worked for me, don’t know what to say? The thread title is “How do I get the Temp readings?” if you want to do a search.

turbojimmy
03-18-05, 07:35 AM
I don't think the procedure works on the newer cars. The instructions appeared to be for the pre-2000 DIC.

No big deal - my gauge hangs out dead center all the time anyway which I guess is where it's supposed to be. Sitting in traffic it will increase slightly and then I can see the effects of the fan(s?) turning on.

Jim