: Transmission Behavior

megeebee
06-12-09, 01:56 PM
I have a 2005 V6.

Lately, I've begun to notice what can be best described as "sticking" in the transmission. Both up and down shifts seem often, but not always, very abrupt. Up shifts seem long in coming. The 2 to 1 downshift as I am coming to a halt at a light seems particularly hard.

I brought this up with my service advisor when I was having the tranny serviced recently and he said that all pressueres were normal. I didn't go any further with it.

Not long ago, I was coasting down a long, shallow freeway section at about 50-55 MPH. Foot off the gas. I felt a slight jerking sensation and looked at the tach. It was jumping up and down approximately 100 RPMs as the tranny was trying to make up its mind.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation?

Thanks in advance.

sburgin
06-12-09, 02:04 PM
I too have an 05 V6. What I've felt more than anything is a noticable "jog" when downshifting, foot off the pedal, at around the 30MPH mark.

I've been told before that what I'm feeling is normal for this car - not sure why though. I know the torque converter issue and the reprogram issue is for V8 models only, so that's not it.

Spyke
06-12-09, 03:13 PM
you can try and search through the 2003-2007 CTS forum. There s some complaints, including myself, about coasting between 40-55mph with the foot off the gas and the tach needle bouncing from 1600-1000 rpms.

I decided to throw a lot of cash for the diagnostic and I'm running out of cash now. The transmission itself is working very good. The Torque Converter is working very good. The engine respond to the throttle correctly. VSS are number one, TPS also, brake sensor too.

When I'll get soe money loose, I'll try to diagnose the load from the a/c on the engine/transmission. After that, I'll open the transmission and change solenoids. I think, but I'm not sure, I think it could be a solenoid issue.

EldoMike
06-12-09, 04:25 PM
I know the 1st generation CTS used "Engine Braking" as a performance feature. Could it be that a long coast / slow deceleration confuses the transmission so it can't decide which gear it should be in?

Spyke
06-13-09, 09:42 AM
I know the 1st generation CTS used "Engine Braking" as a performance feature. Could it be that a long coast / slow deceleration confuses the transmission so it can't decide which gear it should be in?

The problem occurs only when the a/c is working. The tech saw with the tech2 scan that the transmission was disengaging-engaging-disengaging and so on.

They (3 different dealers) dont have any clue where to look for. When you let of your foot off the gas pedal, the tcc dis-engage automatically and that is normal but the gear should remain in place which is not. But it doesn't downshift its just like an off on problem.