: What kind of snake is this?

Aurora5000
06-12-09, 08:00 AM
http://www.koco.com/video/19700565/index.html

This was at the front door the other day when I came to work.

CadillacGurl
06-12-09, 12:29 PM
Might be a Texas rat snake??

dkozloski
06-12-09, 01:21 PM
That's sneaky snake and he'll steal your root beer.
YouTube - Tom T. Hall - Sneaky Snake

AMGoff
06-12-09, 01:40 PM
The snake in that video looks to be nothing more than a common (albeit large) rat snake... Either way, it's most likely non-venomous seeing as how it appears to have round eyes.

With that said however, if you ever come across one that bears a vague resemblance to that, but has elliptical peepers - watch out! It could very well be a copperhead... although they'll tend to have more of a contrasting color scheme.

Just remember, while it may not necessarily be venomous - almost all snakes will bite if you piss them off enough... and that's none too pleasant!

Anyway.... You work at the local TV station? Very cool... What do you do exactly?

Submariner409
06-12-09, 02:18 PM
Rat snakes we got - up to 8 feet here, and they sure keep the rodent population down. The stupid city "come here" idiots run over them because they're scared of snakes - and boogie men, too.

The critter in the clip is some variant, though - ours are much blacker, with a ghost white belly. Copperheads appear much bulkier.

billc83
06-12-09, 06:15 PM
Looks non-venomous.

At least it's not a trouser snake.

dkozloski
06-12-09, 07:24 PM
I have a drain snake.

Submariner409
06-12-09, 07:36 PM
I have an electric wire fishing snake.

creeker
06-12-09, 09:27 PM
http://www.koco.com/video/19700565/index.html

This was at the front door the other day when I came to work.

Iv'e heard of a door mouse,but not a door snake.

creeker
06-12-09, 09:30 PM
The snake in that video looks to be nothing more than a common (albeit large) rat snake... Either way, it's most likely non-venomous seeing as how it appears to have round eyes.

With that said however, if you ever come across one that bears a vague resemblance to that, but has elliptical peepers - watch out! It could very well be a copperhead... although they'll tend to have more of a contrasting color scheme.

Just remember, while it may not necessarily be venomous - almost all snakes will bite if you piss them off enough... and that's none too pleasant!

Anyway.... You work at the local TV station? Very cool... What do you do exactly?

Interesting,I didn't know the shape of a snakes eyes had a bearing on whether or not their poisonous,is this a sure fire method?.

dkozloski
06-12-09, 10:27 PM
Interesting,I didn't know the shape of a snakes eyes had a bearing on whether or not their poisonous,is this a sure fire method?.
I'll let you go find out for me.

creeker
06-12-09, 10:50 PM
I'll let you go find out for me.

Duh!! okay.

Submariner409
06-13-09, 11:13 AM
dormouse, as in "african dormouse", pet.

(That door snake would just love a couple of dormice..........)

Aurora5000
06-22-09, 09:12 AM
AMGoff.. I work in engineering on the day shift 4a-1p, maint. operations of equip. 33 years now at ABC in OKC.

Hooligan63
06-22-09, 10:02 AM
That's a Black Ratsnake,and they can get to be 72 inches(6 feet) long,and are non venomous(They are a constrictor breed,but they do bite and it does hurt).The reason for the pale eyes like that is the snake is getting ready to shed.

DILLIGAF
06-22-09, 07:52 PM
That's a Black Ratsnake,and they can get to be 72 inches(6 feet) long,and are non venomous(They are a constrictor breed,but they do bite and it does hurt).The reason for the pale eyes like that is the snake is getting ready to shed.:werd:
We have a winner,most are grumpy:werd:Probably looking for tasty birds