: AC Compressor

omikhail
06-11-09, 09:34 PM
hi,

I have a 1995 Fleetwood Brougham.
The AC compressor is not working properly. Sometimes it kicks in and sometimes it doesn't.
Is there any method to extend its life by adding oil to it? and most importantly HOW do I add oil to it?
I saw at the auto store a can that looked like freon but it says oil on it. Will this work?

Thanks.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-11-09, 10:01 PM
Is the air inside cold? It is normal for the compressor to cycle on and off during use. In fact is has to or else your AC system will either ice up or explode, or both.

sven914
06-11-09, 11:21 PM
Pumping too much oil into the AC system can damage the compressor because fluids cannot be compressed. It will also decrease the cooling power of the system because the oil cannot absorb heat as well as refrigerant. The AC system is a sealed system and nothing, oil included, is allowed to escape, so if you believe there is a lack of lubrication, then there is also a lack of refrigerant. Overall, you should have the problem diagnosed by professional.

omikhail
06-11-09, 11:58 PM
It is not a lack of freon. I filled it up well.
When the Compressor does not kick in, it blows just regular air [hot, not cold, not heat].
It is puzzling to me.
????????

jey
06-12-09, 09:38 AM
Does it do this even with the temp control all the way down to 60?

sven914
06-12-09, 11:57 AM
It is not a lack of freon. I filled it up well.
When the Compressor does not kick in, it blows just regular air [hot, not cold, not heat].
It is puzzling to me.
????????

Overcharging the system with refrigerant can also cause a lack of cooling and compressor malfunction.

omikhail
06-12-09, 07:01 PM
Does it do this even with the temp control all the way down to 60?

yes.
Here's how it does it:
I travel long distance to work every day. So for example, after an hour and a half drive, i will stop to fuel up. When i restart the car, the AC sometimes [not often] will blow hot air from outside.
Yesterday, i drove it from the gas station to home with the ac shut down.
I let the car cool down for one hour and still it would blow hot air when i restarted it.
Got the hood open, then I noticed that the ac compressor is not turning [the pulley]. Stopped the car, tried to turn the pulley of the compressor with my hand left and right. Then when i restarted the car, it worked and it started blowing cold air.
That's why my guess is the oil in the compressor as the culprit. So i went and i got the oil can for ac compressors and i am asking for your opinion before i connect it to the low pressure to fill up.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-12-09, 11:43 PM
If it did not leak any oil, do not add any oil. The ONLY time you need to add oil is when you replace a component or if you have a line burst and have a rapid decompression of the system. It sounds to me like another issue. The LOW side pressure should be about 70psi on a 70 degree F day. If it is higher or lower the system will not function correctly as a preventative measure so it does not self destruct.