: Strange vibration

bbshriver
06-11-09, 07:02 PM
So, last week I got some new tires, and seemed like they were just a tad out of balance. Took it back to the dealer and had the tires re-balanced today, service manager said the "road force" was a bit off on one wheel.
On the way home it seemed much better at first, but then started to feel really strange in a way that's hard to describe. Rear end was sort of bucking around a little (roads around here aren't great, but this felt odd regardless). Also noticed some strange vibrations, most noticeable through the steering wheel. The vibration in the wheel isn't severe, but is noticeable even when the car is parked. Fine at idle but if I rev the engine a bit I feel some odd vibration. It's not bad, but I'm pretty sure it was not this way a week ago. I may take it back next week, but wanted to see if there are any known issues I can have them check since I'm not even sure how to describe it.

2005 STS V8, no other options

next2pool
06-11-09, 07:31 PM
If you feel it standing still, there's a chance that when they jacked it up (however they did it) they may have disturbed the exhaust or a cooler line causing a ground out some where. it doesn't take much of a ground out to wreak havoc when it comes to noise and vibration. I'd get it up on a hoist and check clearances. That doesn't explain all of your concerns however. It is possible to balance a tire and still have an out-of -round assembly or one with flat spots.

bbshriver
06-11-09, 07:32 PM
Yea, I was wondering if it could be a defective tire. They're a somewhat high-end Bridgestone so I'd be a little surprised, but I guess nobody's perfect. I'll drive it a little more and see what happens.

next2pool
06-11-09, 07:42 PM
If your tires still have the little paint dots on the side walls, check to see if they are aligned with the valve stems on the wheels--they should be close.