: Heading to Drag Strip......tips?

ifmracin
06-11-09, 06:48 PM
I'm heading to the strip tomorrow.
Tips?

Stock drivetrain.
285.30.20's on the rear.

Should i just put it in sD mode, or semi-manually shift it?

next2pool
06-11-09, 07:34 PM
I'd leave it in sD, turn off the traction control, brake torque it a bit and let er go!

mapmaker
06-11-09, 08:18 PM
I'd stay home and save money on new tires and transmission repairs.

jamesbalzer
06-11-09, 10:01 PM
Take a Mustang, not the Caddy.....

next2pool
06-12-09, 12:28 AM
Have fun with it!! These cars always surprise onlookers. You bought it and you deserve to enjoy it. you won't be embarrassed!

ifmracin
06-12-09, 12:37 AM
I'd leave it in sD, turn off the traction control, brake torque it a bit and let er go!

That's pretty much what I was thinking also.

I'm not gonna be doin big smokey burnouts pre-run, so I'm not too worried about tires, or the drivetrain much either. This is nothing crazy that the car shouldn't be able to handle IMO. If this thing is supposed to drive the street day in and day out for 100-200k miles then a handfull of launches is minimal.

Also....I don't have a Mustang, I have a Caddy, and that's what I'm taking. :bigroll:

Dadollac1
06-12-09, 12:38 AM
To each their own but I would NEVER drag race my Caddy.:tisk:I look at my car as the ultimate luxury sedan.If I HADTHE NEED I WOULDN'T DO IT IN MY STS.

Superjim
06-12-09, 12:58 AM
I have taken my big ol' DTS to the drag strip a couple of times.
It was fun.

Texas Jim

ifmracin
06-12-09, 10:41 AM
To each their own but I would NEVER drag race my Caddy.:tisk:I look at my car as the ultimate luxury MUSCLE sedan.If I HADTHE NEED I WOULDN'T DO IT IN MY STS.

Fixed your post for you.
:D

Dadollac1
06-12-09, 08:22 PM
it's all good.

mbnv992
06-12-09, 08:52 PM
Let me just say that the Northstar V8 STS's are an absolute BLAST to drive. They are plenty fast, and yes they do surprise a LOT of people when they hear than engine roar to life and your car suddenly flies by them lol
As others have said, be safe/smart, keep your car in Ds, and shut the stability/traction control OFF (press, and hold the t/c button), and HOLD ON !! As for the comment about the Mustangs, in my experiences, these cars are just as fast as your common V8 Mustang (NOT the Cobras, GT500's etc. though obviously).
JUST my thoughts on the matter :)
Now, if your REALLY want to go fast, then I suggest you test drive a CTS-V. . . . . .WOW, now THATS fast lol

ifmracin
06-12-09, 09:32 PM
Well, the event got rained out. :(
Will have to wait for another day.

And I did test drive a CTS-V prior to buying my STS, fast yes, as much a car as the STS, nope.
Also, the carseat didn't fit worth a darn in the CTS.

EChas3
06-12-09, 11:03 PM
My drag racing buddies all change tires at the track. Other than breathing (intake & exhaust/cutout) the next mod is a racing torque converter. The more serious you get, the less able you are to drive in and race.

I might try it once or twice but to get serious you need to run consistent times and dial-in a time you will hit consistently. Why wear out a great road car?

lreddiablo
06-13-09, 03:52 PM
Haven't heard a better answer than this on what to do with the crappy stock tires that I want to get rid of anyways, I'm going to the track and tearing it up! 4 wheel burnouts!

EChas3
06-13-09, 09:53 PM
Haven't heard a better answer than this on what to do with the crappy stock tires that I want to get rid of anyways, I'm going to the track and tearing it up! 4 wheel burnouts!

How high do you have to pump the tires to light them up?:eyebrow:

silver2kws6
06-13-09, 11:57 PM
LISTEN TO ME WHEN I TELL YOU THIS !!!!

I have one of the fastest n/a caddys in the east coast.

1.Put your stock tires on the car or at least lower the rear tire pressure to 25psi
2.Make sure your floor mats are out of the car and move your seat up a lil closer than you normally would.
3. Do a small light burnout and roll into the staging lanes.
4. Put the carin 4 NOT Drive. you will run slower manually shifting as well as leaving it in any other mode trust me ive raced my car over 30 times.
5. Turn traction control off and stability control off as well.
6. Raise the rpms above stock and the 3rd yellow to green slowly put your foot to the ground.
7. Once you have rolled a little past the line mash down the gas you will get traction and keep it floored.

If you do this you will run a best time with you car trust me.

I've run 13.59 with only a K&N cone filter and an axleback exhaust.

Regulator
06-15-09, 10:40 PM
Well.....what did you run? 14.1?

ifmracin
06-16-09, 01:14 PM
Event got rained out.
The more tips the better though! I'll be going the next time they have Friday Fun Night!

ifmracin
08-14-09, 05:54 PM
Ok.
It's gonna happen tonight!

Weather is perfect.

amgqmp1
08-14-09, 06:40 PM
Ok.
It's gonna happen tonight!

Weather is perfect.

Good luck!

I wish I knew of a strip in my area...I would love to have an excuse to replace the crap OEM tires on my STS. I'm too cheap to replace them until the tread has worn off... :thumbsup:

sts4ga
08-14-09, 08:31 PM
I'll run mine soon. I don't think it harms the car one bit unless you're doing big smokey burnouts or something...

I've run my wifes altima, her maxima that replaced it, my DD...

It's pretty fun! Just go on test and tune night and you can run 'er as many times as you want. Get some friends and line up with them...

I'll be happy if my STS 4 breaks into the 14's...

MacMuse
08-14-09, 09:34 PM
Good luck!

I wish I knew of a strip in my area...I would love to have an excuse to replace the crap OEM tires on my STS. I'm too cheap to replace them until the tread has worn off... :thumbsup:

http://www.staginglight.com/links/trackfinder.html#IA

Hit it! They aren't that far away.

Lifer
08-15-09, 12:21 PM
I'd stay home and save money on new tires and transmission repairs.

Agreed. If you had an STS-V or CTS-V, that's for racing. The STS is meant as a fine luxury car with enough omph on the highway to hold its own.

WillySTS
08-15-09, 01:22 PM
I'm heading to the strip tomorrow.
Tips?

Stock drivetrain.
285.30.20's on the rear.

Should i just put it in sD mode, or semi-manually shift it?

Did ya' go yet?

How did you do?

ifmracin
08-16-09, 01:03 PM
Went, had a great time.

Got second place in trophy class, should have won, but I broke out by .03 on the championship pass. Damn it!
haha.

Best pass: 14.668

My car has the middle gear ratio, if anyone is wondering.

sts4ga
08-16-09, 01:41 PM
Went, had a great time.

Got second place in trophy class, should have won, but I broke out by .03 on the championship pass. Damn it!
haha.

Best pass: 14.668

My car has the middle gear ratio, if anyone is wondering.

Not great but not bad for a big car either! Too bad about the breakout...

inurok
08-17-09, 04:28 AM
I don't even take my STS-V to the track. Wanna go to the track buy a mustang GT or like car..............Then again........You had a great time and brought what you got lol

lreddiablo
08-17-09, 05:18 PM
So many people here against racing this car. It's got the power, why not? Always nice to kill those fixed up rice rockets!

Superjim
08-17-09, 07:45 PM
So many people here against racing this car. It's got the power, why not? Always nice to kill those fixed up rice rockets!

I like destroying the egos of the rice drivers with a big 'ol Cadillac.
It is fun. :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Texas Jim

lreddiablo
08-17-09, 08:24 PM
Only down side is they rev up that annoying high pitched exhaust but I cant really throw it in neutral and rev a whole lot because of rev limits

Superjim
08-17-09, 11:08 PM
Only down side is they rev up that annoying high pitched exhaust but I cant really throw it in neutral and rev a whole lot because of rev limits

While they are making all the racket, I just wait quietly till the light turns...drop the hammer...HARD...and leave 'em in the dust. :)

But...the REALLY BEST THING...is be behind TWO of them...
As they take off...pull over to the other lane and pass both of them. :) :) :) :)

At the next light...they usually have a real funny look on their face...like they don't quite know what happened. :)

Texas Jim

K STS
08-18-09, 12:14 AM
God I love Northstar V8s.

lreddiablo
08-19-09, 06:06 PM
I'm yet to join a race like that, sounds like fun!

Superjim
08-19-09, 08:18 PM
I'm yet to join a race like that, sounds like fun!

If you are referring to my description....of passing the ricers...
YEP, it "IS" fun. :cool2: :cool2:

Texas Jim

K STS
08-20-09, 09:27 AM
Just put my 10" K&N conical open element filter on, holy crap.

EChas3
08-20-09, 01:12 PM
Just put my 10" K&N conical open element filter on, holy crap.

I bet it sounds great on WOT!