: Rule of Thumb for $$ Repairs

daacon
07-16-04, 10:55 PM
I got to thinking tonight (given I have a 2.5k suspension repair on Monday) do any of your have a rule of thumb for when the repair bill is 'not worth it' ?.

The Caddy I bought for a good price (for the shape and options) and now with my fixes the repair $$ exceed what I paid for it. This does not bother me as I love the car with 120k miles on it , it was just time for these repairs. (or would be very very soon causing more damage). I could have gone cheaper on the suspension as well - but this is CCR replacment with everything (Springs , mounts , 4 struts ,4 wheel alignment and leveler control motor - ouch !)

I had a '90 Camary I paid 7k for and I remember when I needed head gaskets and some front end work done for about 3k - I thought about selling it. Turns out I got the repairs done and drove it trouble free for a couple of years, then sold it a decent price (damn Toyotas hold thier value)

Now what I look at is how much longer I want the car and I compare car payments (I mean owning a 25 - 35k vehicle over 4 or 5 years not lease payments), these repairs are not really that expensive.

So to make a short question long ......do you have a rule of thumb when the nickel and dime is enough ? What types of things do you consider ?

SLS97
07-16-04, 11:21 PM
do you have a rule of thumb when the nickel and dime is enough ? What types of things do you consider ?
**I usually go by how much I like driving the car and if I want to keep it. I don't look at the $'s because I can't ride them! I do have a guilt problem. When I trade a car in I do tell them what's wrong that I know of! If I sell to a private owner I have the car fixed. This is just me...crazy I know...But I would hate to stick someone.

caddyshack24
07-16-04, 11:25 PM
heyya there daacon,

I try to figure out how long the repair will last.. and give it an importance value. Also, fix things lower in cost first.. im most worried about engine life than a confortable ride, atleast im getting to work and where i gotta go.

Everything will be fixed on my car.. like, i've pushed cosmetics to the back burner.. my air ride suspension and engine will come first. The air ride is gonna cost me 2k. wait a second.. you should get air ride.. and save $500, that'd be pimp.. can lower and raise your vehicle man.. :D

after im sure i wont break down somewhere.. then its rims and such.

caddyshack24
07-16-04, 11:27 PM
When I trade a car in I do tell them what's wrong that I know of! If I sell to a private owner I have the car fixed. This is just me...crazy I know
Not crazy, repectable. I'm kinda that way.. i'd neber sell somebody my junk

(lol @ neber.. to funny to fix)

daacon
07-16-04, 11:40 PM
I hear that .......(selling your problems ) ..never want that......engine is good (already replaced wires , plugs, rotor, pcv , got the collant changed, new rotors in front, break lines, rear cylenders , guy before me did water pump and had AC changed ) - I was sooooo looking forward to some pimping rims and wheels ...but this suspension repair will defer that purhase (maybe christmas, I can only hope) ...air suspension ..gonna give that some thought :cool: ( I have the vision of the pop tart commercial in my head Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam :D )

I got a few cosmetic issues as well (drive side arm rest is a little loose , paint job maybe eventaully ) ...plan on handing down the car to my daughter in a couple years ..(then I can buy a newer one!) so yeah gotta take car of what keeps ya on the road first ! and I do love the car :worship:

caddyshack24
07-16-04, 11:57 PM
lol, you'd be the 'stuff' man.. pulling up to work, kick the door open and bzzzt down she goes. that price was for all four corners of the car too.. their latest and greatest.. computer controlled.. real soft ride.

So your car is in pretty good shape it sounds like.. have you thought about the passive suspension route.. about $500 will do all four and you can keep rear leveling.. not sure what your car is equipped with. saves enough for those rims you want maybe.

hehehe.. ya made me laugh with the pop-tart thing, ill admit.

RBraczyk
07-17-04, 12:11 AM
i've put close to 6g in my truck, yet it hit 280k today

daacon
07-17-04, 12:28 AM
Not sure what the air ride would cost up here in the Great White North ...will check it out. I gave the passive suspension some thought - definetley cheaper , but then again - wtf , I need spings and mounts , the shocks are not that expensive , it is all the other crap that is costing (the leveling motor alone is $600.00) , so wtf active shocks it is .........(plus I just sold my '86 Fifth ave that will cover half the cost ...like free money )

I love that pop tart commercial ,have not seen it in a while........

Msilva954
07-17-04, 09:19 AM
The way I figure it is that once the car is running for the money you pay (say 2.5k) you got a nice car....not many cars out there for 2.5k.

Jesda
07-17-04, 10:40 AM
Im doing fine at 187k. Put $1400 into my car this year. I dont do any of the work myself. Biggest expense was upgrading the timing chain guides, which I had done in April for $1000.

daacon
07-17-04, 11:16 AM
The way I figure it is that once the car is running for the money you pay (say 2.5k) you got a nice car....not many cars out there for 2.5k.
Yeah I concur , 'cept the 2.5 is just the latest "maintneance fix" ....gonna be closer to 8K factor in the initial price and my other "maintnenance items" (about half and half now actually), so methinks I could have gone newer one overall , but the toruble with buying private and used is who really knows what ya get ? Caddys don't hold their retail value well and the money I am dumping into her is for me , cause again it adds nothing to the selling price (albiet it would makes it easier to sell). Like I said this baby will in all likley hood by my daugters car is a few years , so gotta keep up the maintenace.

This one I know what has been replaced , am happy with the ride (hoping to be estatic on Monday), and after all , it is a Caddy :coolgleam

Raze
07-20-04, 04:15 PM
Well personally I hung the reigns up on my 90 Eldorado this summer after mostly trouble free driving with minimial maintenance over 45k of driving on it (It now has close to 200k miles on it). I purchased it for $3500 after I was hit in my family's car. The current bluebook was little more than 1k and the current repair bill was around 3-4k depending on how much I wanted done, I figure I can do the repairs in question myself and save at least 2k but I just don't have the time right now so I simply 'parked' the car in the hopes of one day fully restoring it. After all, it was my first car. I also found that since it has such little residual value at this point it's worth more sentimental value than dollars but I just couldn't justify dropping 2-4 times the value of the car on it knowing that if the engine or tranny goes i'll be spending that much more...

Oh yeah, so I bought a 98 ETC instead ;)

daacon
07-22-04, 01:10 AM
After all, it was my first car.

Wow you impressed me - my first car was a '63 Pontiac Laurentain - 3 in the tree, I retired it as well ...around a telephone poll (walked away without a scratch!)...not too many of us get to "retire" our first car ..Kudos to you :D

Jesda
07-22-04, 07:58 AM
If we always thought of car expenses in practical terms, we'd probably never own cars.