: What does cadillac ranch mean when the Boss sings it?

Mopar500
06-09-09, 12:31 AM
Near as I can tell, the caddy in this song is a metaphore for the grim reaper. If that's the case, the music needs ro be a little darker. When I hear it, I'm not sure whether I should feel erie or like I want to party.:hmm:

77CDV
06-09-09, 03:36 PM
I'd say that's a pretty fair reading. Back when, a Cadillac was the ultimate mark of success. Most working men could never hope to own one, at least new, and would only ever ride in one on their way to the cemetery as the guest of honor.

Springsteen had a knack for taking symbols of promise and the good life and turning them dark, but keeping the music upbeat. Just look at the lyrics of "Born in the USA". That song is most definitely not a celebration of being born in the USA, but the music is so celebratory, that politicians use it all the time to party their campaign rallies. Wonder if they've ever payed any attention to the lyrics?

Now for a really dark Springsteen song, with music to match the lyrics, I'd vote for "The River".

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-09-09, 10:54 PM
Now for a really dark Springsteen song, with music to match the lyrics, I'd vote for "The River".

Agreed, along with "Point Blank", also off The River album.