: 97 deville overheating??

oldschool409
06-08-09, 11:55 PM
Hi my name is frank and I just purchased a 1997 Deville base sedan 150k, this is my situation with my car when I'm driving the temp goes to 222 fans turn on and its bumped down to 217-213 then when I start driving or idling in town it starts climbing back to 217, 219,220,222 then back down again. When I get on the freeway entrance and I start to accelerate the temp seems to go up a few degrees(temp starts out at 217 goes up to 222). When I get on the freeway and the engine temp is 222 it doesn't go any further, it starts to drop to about 196 -190 188 in about a minute or two of driving and stays there. On the freeway if I floor the car on the freeway the temp doesn't go up it actually makes the temp go down more. I put a bottle on the overflow hose and theres no water being blown out its dry... I replaced the water pump belt because it looked wet and damaged it was falling apart I didn't notice and leaks around the water pump or anywhere else around the engine. Help.:bonkers:

Submariner409
06-09-09, 10:35 AM
The thermostat is set to begin opening at 188 and be fully open at 206. The car should run at 193 - 198 all day long on the highway with a slight temp rise just after an aggressive passing maneuver or other heavy acceleration, then it comes back to ~196 or so. Get off the highway and hit a traffic light, the temp creeps up to 224.

The fans are set to come on slow at 224 and fast at 236, or slow any time an a/c mode is enabled. The temp creeps up to ~224 in traffic or slow crawl, fans come on and the temp crawls back to ~213. Then back to 196 on the open road.

Carry the coolant surge tank at half full, COLD. Make sure the (16 # ?) pressure cap is tight.

Take the car to a GM dealer and have the DEXCOOL changed NOW if you cannot positively document that it has been changed within the past 3 years.

All normal.

Ranger
06-09-09, 11:22 AM
Sounds pretty normal to me too. I wouldn't worry unless it starts running hotter. Follow Subs advice and change that coolant.

Talamant3z
06-09-09, 12:25 PM
yeah dudes its normal it still scares the hell out of me when i see my temp gauge go to 1 o'clock. but it comes back down. just wondering why did gm make the n* like that? i have never been in a car that went past 12 o'clock on the temp gauge. and i used to let my caprice run while i would go somewhere so car would be cold when i got back in i can remember leaving it on for times up to half an hour and no needle movement (plus gas was cheap too haha) i leave my eldo in idle for 10mins it at 224 near the 1 o'clock line

Ranger
06-09-09, 12:33 PM
Every engine fluctuates temperatures. These gauges are just dampened so much so people don't panic. I think every once in a while you might get one that is a bit more sensitive (if that is possible).

Talamant3z
06-09-09, 12:39 PM
Every engine fluctuates temperatures. These gauges are just dampened so much so people don't panic. I think every once in a while you might get one that is a bit more sensitive (if that is possible).

well all i can say is it never went past the middle same with my moms intrepid i took it out to the beach about 1 and a half hour drive hit really bad traiffic once i got there and was in stop and go traffic for a good 35mins and the cars needle was under the 12 o'clock didnt hit the middle till i got on the beach. thats the only car i been in where it took alot of idling to get the cars needle to run at the middle. dodge makes some good cars

but still doesnt beat sitting in a cadillac haha

Ranger
06-09-09, 12:46 PM
Mine is the same. Dead on 12:00 and does not budge. I'm just the opposite though. Makes me wonder if the damned thing works. It's really just a matter of what you are used to. If you had a real one that showed every fluctuation in real time, you'd consider it normal and would not worry about it. You'd know what the "normal" parameters are.

Talamant3z
06-09-09, 12:51 PM
so you think the eldo/sevilles have a sensitive gauge?

Ranger
06-09-09, 12:55 PM
No. Maybe "some gauges". Even then I am not 100% sure of that. I only say that because I have heard some people mention some fluctuation and others see none at all. My '02 SLS (now my daughters) sits dead center at 12:00.

oldschool409
06-09-09, 02:19 PM
I guess I'm just worried seeing all the other deville 97-99 haveing gasket problems...so if I'm driving around steady the temp reading 222 is normal and then the temp drops to 210 and within a minute of driving its back up to 222 while the car is moving?

Ranger
06-09-09, 08:44 PM
Well, I wouldn't call that "normal", but I don't think it is anything to worry about yet. Just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse.