: 500

Lazarus_Rooney
06-08-09, 08:54 PM
ive been thinking a lot recently about swapping my cars 307 for a 500 when i have the money and time. from what ive read on here about doing this swap, it seems pretty straight foreward. and to my understanding, the 368 is the same block as the 500. and, heres my demented logic, since the brougham had very little change under the sheet metal from 81 - 92, and in 81 they were available with the 368, if i get the proper engine mounts a 500 will fit just fine.... this project is still a LONG way off but i want to at least keep my dreaming realistic.

jayoldschool
06-08-09, 10:06 PM
You need the 500, then the mounts, the oil pan, and the pickup from the 80/81 368, a BOP TH400, the driveshaft, and the rear end from either a 77-81 or 90-92 5.7. So, buy your engine, then buy another whole 80/81 parts car so you have everything you need.

Angry Matt
06-08-09, 10:27 PM
If you're going to do it, try to get a '70. They have no smog pump, higher compression, and more HP than the others. The later the motor, the less power. And find a guy that'll slap emissions stickers on it when it's done.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-09-09, 12:45 AM
There is a lot more to an engine swap than just swapping the engine. As Jay said you will need a whole slew of other parts or else the power of the 500 will blow something else up. Go will also have to get your PCM reprogrammed for the different engine or remove it and find a way to make the check engine light turn off. You will also need to change the fuel system as the 500s are carbeureted, not fuel injected. BTW, the 500 is a big block while your 305 is a small block, there is a HUGE difference in side.

96Fleetwood
06-09-09, 09:33 AM
Destroyer put a TPI 350 in his 1991, that might be a better solution?

sven914
06-09-09, 05:03 PM
You live in Connecticut, a state which enforces emissions testing on a two year cycle. You can't legally do anything to Damballa's engine for six years. Under CT state and US federal emissions regulations, a car must meet the same emissions standard that was set for it at time of production.

csbuckn
06-09-09, 05:51 PM
I've always wondered what a TPI 350 would be like in the 80-92 brougham. Did he do a review of that swap?

Aron9000
06-09-09, 06:35 PM
There is a lot more to an engine swap than just swapping the engine. As Jay said you will need a whole slew of other parts or else the power of the 500 will blow something else up. Go will also have to get your PCM reprogrammed for the different engine or remove it and find a way to make the check engine light turn off. You will also need to change the fuel system as the 500s are carbeureted, not fuel injected. BTW, the 500 is a big block while your 305 is a small block, there is a HUGE difference in side.

He has the 307 carbed motor.

If I were to do an engine swap with fuel injection, I'd look for a 5.3 or 6.0 liter V8 out of a late model GM pickup or SUV. You can pick up a low mile 5.3 V8, with accesories, transmission, wiring harness, etc for about $1000.

Although a built 500 Caddy big block would be a lot cooler.

96Fleetwood
06-09-09, 07:35 PM
I've always wondered what a TPI 350 would be like in the 80-92 brougham. Did he do a review of that swap?

I couldn't find a thread about it. The motor came from a '87 Camaro Iroc 5.7. I wish I bought that car from him, it even had the full Impala SS suspension.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Cadillac/DSC02573.jpg

Lazarus_Rooney
06-09-09, 07:53 PM
off topic on my own thread here, but where do i get those chrome visors?

sven914, does that still apply if i get vintage plates?

i was pretty aware that i would need to replace the entire drive train. theres a somewhat trashed brougham 91 brougham limo near my house, would the transmission and rear end from that hold up to a 500 with a better intake, mild cam, and dual exhaust? (just need to get the dude selling to let it go for less than $4000)

DopeStar 156
06-09-09, 08:37 PM
ive been thinking a lot recently about swapping my cars 307 for a 500 when i have the money and time. from what ive read on here about doing this swap, it seems pretty straight foreward. and to my understanding, the 368 is the same block as the 500. and, heres my demented logic, since the brougham had very little change under the sheet metal from 81 - 92, and in 81 they were available with the 368, if i get the proper engine mounts a 500 will fit just fine.... this project is still a LONG way off but i want to at least keep my dreaming realistic.

Do what I did, buy a car with a 500 that Cadillac put in it...

jayoldschool
06-09-09, 09:21 PM
i was pretty aware that i would need to replace the entire drive train. theres a somewhat trashed brougham 91 brougham limo near my house, would the transmission and rear end from that hold up to a 500 with a better intake, mild cam, and dual exhaust? (just need to get the dude selling to let it go for less than $4000)

The trans from the 91 will not bolt on to the 500. The 500 is the "BOP" pattern, while the 5.0 and 5.7 is the Chev pattern.

Destroyer put a TPI 350 in his 1991, that might be a better solution?

The TPI swap in the 91/2 is much easier. All the wiring is pretty much there since you are starting with a computer-controlled Chevy. Also, no need to swap trans, rear, mounts, etc...

Angry Matt
06-09-09, 10:01 PM
The TPI is definitely the more logical swap, but if you're set on the 500, don't spend $4000 on a parts car. U-pull-it yards are the way to go. Get a th400 from an '81 or earlier deville/brougham and pick your rear. There's a bunch of options depending on make, model and package. Too bad you're not closer to sePA, I've got a yard near me with tons of good stuff.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-09-09, 10:29 PM
He has the 307 carbed motor.

Oops, thought it was a '91. :getaway:

sven914
06-10-09, 01:16 AM
sven914, does that still apply if i get vintage plates?

Your car must be at least 25 years old to qualify for historical plates, in the state of Connecticut. Having historical plates does not make you immune to meeting your environmental obligations. And some states limit the amount of miles you can drive per year, the days of the week you can drive, and even months out of the year the car can be used with historical plates. New York makes people sign a disclaimer saying that they understand that their vehicle is a collectors item and it will only be used for exhibitions such as parades and club activity, and that it is not for general daily transportation.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-10-09, 10:02 PM
^ Same here in IL. The only time you can drive a car with antique plates is to car shows and back. No cruising on the weekends or nice nights, strictly a show car.

Angry Matt
06-10-09, 10:44 PM
Do they offer classic or collectible plates? In PA you can get them after 15 years and it makes you emissions and registration exempt (save $60+ a year!). They say the only stipulation is that the car isn't for everyday use. They don't check our miles and if they did, prove I didn't drive to the West Coast for some car shows over the summer. Over the past 14 years and 9 cars the only one that passed was my '87 FWBD. My point is if you want it bad enough, you will find a loophole. Or maybe I'm just lucky to live in a lenient state.