: Oil Change = H.P.????

bryce3
07-16-04, 05:23 PM
I recently did a 6k mile oil change and my Butt-o-meter tells me that the car is pulling harder than right before the change. The engine oil life meter was reading 31% when I did the change. Does this meter send signals to the computer to limit performance due to oil life????
-Sean

StealthV
07-16-04, 05:27 PM
Perhaps your buttometer is off? When was the last time you had it calibrated? :)

Do you have access to a G-tech to document performance now and then again when your oil % gets down next time?

bryce3
07-16-04, 06:53 PM
Your probably right about the re-calibration needed on my Buttmeter. I had been driving the Escalade around the past couple of days and that probably got my senses off a bit. I don't have a G-Tech and I am unsure of it's accuracy. Have you or any one else compared numbers between the G-Tech and a regulated track???
-Sean

BeelzeBob
07-17-04, 01:14 AM
I think your buttdyno is off....

There is nothing involving HP reduction and oil life remaining. The oil life monitor is a completely separate function that simply displays the oil life and does not interact with any of the engine control functions.

StealthV
07-17-04, 10:38 AM
Just for kicks this morning, I did a little digging into GM's "Gen III V8 Engine Management" document and can verify with bbobynski that the PCM does not adjust power delivery based on the oil life.