: Intake Manifold Removal Snag

Akiragrey
06-07-09, 02:58 PM
So now I have everything out of the way and unbolted and I am trying to remove my intake manifold and it just wont budge past a certain point.

On the passenger side of the intake manifold, towards the rear half is a cylindrical shaped rubber protrusion/nob/lump/thing that is catching on part of what I believe is my power steering pump.

I've found a diagram posted by submariner that depicts the intake manifold being lifted up and out from the passenger side. In this diagram, the rubber bit I am talking about would be under the hand.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48774&d=1238640276

It's a soft rubber, so I can get a fair amount of play out of it. I might be able to just press/squish/bend it out of the way. It also spins in place some. Does this screw in/out?

Submariner409
06-07-09, 05:08 PM
It's either a plug or the plugged end of the PCV system vacuum fitting. Pull it out. Is/was there also a 1/2" rubber/plastic tube coming from the rear cam cover ??? That's the PCV tube and it MUST be connected or you get fuel/air problems and nasty crankcase vapor/sludge buildup. In the cavity where the hand is, there's also a mushroom or umbrella valve - the manifold overpressure valve - which must also be checked for integrity and vacuum-leak free.

Loosen the heck out of the plenum hose clamp, too. When you re-install, use a dab of engine oil around the rubber bore so the plastic manifold slips in........

Akiragrey
06-07-09, 05:53 PM
Well that was strange. I am pretty sure that the rubber bit I am referring to is the Manifold overpressure valve. It is more or less mushroom shaped, but it was not inside the cavity, it was just outside the cavity. In it's way was part of the "hinge" upon which the power steering pump (?) can be adjusted to add tension to the drive belt. There was not enough room to pull it off. I ended up placing a couple drops of oil on it to slick it up (so it would slip rather then tear) and just accept that it would get sorta crushed/deformed as I pulled the intake manifold up.

After I got it off I checked the overpressure valve out and it seems to be in decent shape. Now I can move onto swapping out my Plenum. This has been a bit more of an adventure then I was expecting, but a good learning experience if I want to embrace my Cadillac Fever.

There was an aweful lot of grease or oil of some sort caked onto the underside of the intake manifold on both ends, especially so on the side that attached to the Plenum. Is that expected?

Ranger
06-07-09, 09:26 PM
There was an aweful lot of grease or oil of some sort caked onto the underside of the intake manifold on both ends, especially so on the side that attached to the Plenum. Is that expected?
The inside would be expected to be oily and dirty, but not underneath I wouldn't think.

Akiragrey
06-07-09, 09:48 PM
So I've been trying to resolve a SES situation for the better part of two weeks and I think I have littered the forums here with a half dozen new threads related to the issue. I had the trouble code diagnosed as a Vacuum leak at the Plenum.

My mechanic wanted a grand to "do it right"

I said F that, its a chunk of rubber and decided it was time to learn how to maintain my dear Cadillac myself.

Well, after some trouble, I've finally gotten the damned plenum off. I did not find any cracks per-se, but the 'gasket-seal' surfaces of the plenum appear to have eroded and there was a lot of oily residue covering the mating surfaces of where the plenum sits against the throttle body.

I figure if oily residue can get in there, then air sure as hell can get through.

Some of my intake manifold gaskets were also obviously damaged. In some cases there was a similar oily gritty residue between the gaskets and the block.

One thing that I learned the hard way ... the bolts that hold the plenum on are only accessible if you take the air filter housing off as well as the tube that sits between the housing and the throttle body.

I overlooked that step and burned several hours trying to take the bolt off from the wrong side. I was fighting against the nut that is welded to the plenum. Woops. It would have made pulling out the Intake Manifold WAY easier if I tried to take the plenum with it.

I've spent the better part of an hour cleaning things up and almost am ready to put it all back together.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

I wonder what I've overlooked.

Ranger
06-07-09, 10:37 PM
and I think I have littered the forums here with a half dozen new threads related to the issue.
Duly noted. Please keep these threads together as it is very hard for anyone to follow or be able to offer any help. I'll merge them.

Submariner409
06-08-09, 09:06 AM
Something's fishy - a few posts back you said there's an "adjustment hinge" on the P/S pump ??? I thought your car had an automatic serpentine belt tensioner down on the front of the block, above the alternator and a/c installation.

You need a Helm/GM Factory Service Manual or subscribe your car to www.alldatadiy.com

Ranger
06-08-09, 11:03 AM
I noticed that as well, but just blew it off as not understanding what he was looking at.

Akiragrey
06-09-09, 01:04 AM
I noticed that as well, but just blew it off as not understanding what he was looking at.

:yeah:

I think my brain was baked off of working out in the sun all weekend. We Seattle folk don't know how to deal with sunshine.

I finally did get everything back together last night. Snapped yet another hard plastic vacuum hose. Replaced them all with generic vacuum hose from an auto part store and ordered the factory default replacements from my local dealer.

Took my Deville out for a spin this morning. After a couple short trips the SES went out all by itself. I think along the way I made this much more difficult for myself then it needed to be.

Ranger
06-09-09, 10:08 AM
:yeah:

I think my brain was baked off of working out in the sun all weekend. We Seattle folk don't know how to deal with sunshine.

I finally did get everything back together last night. Snapped yet another hard plastic vacuum hose. Replaced them all with generic vacuum hose from an auto part store and ordered the factory default replacements from my local dealer.

Took my Deville out for a spin this morning. After a couple short trips the SES went out all by itself. I think along the way I made this much more difficult for myself then it needed to be.
Probably so. In the school of hard knocks, the test comes before the lesson. Glad to here it is fixed.